Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Norman Fucking Rockwell!  

1,016 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from NFR?

• Norman Fucking Rockwell
    • Mariners Apartment Complex
    • Venice Bitch
    • Fuck It, I Love You
    • Doin' Time
    • Love Song
    • Cinnamon Girl
    • How to Disappear
    • California
    • The Next Best American Record
    • The Greatest
    • Bartender
    • Happiness is a Butterfly
    • hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but i have it

can someone PLEASE tell me what the tea about cinnamon girl? i really need it

If you are referring to her comments during yesterday's livestream she just mentioned that she noticed that people seem to like cinnamon girl a lot and then she said she thinks people like it because it is the "sauciest". Then her producer guy said that she was in a very bad mood when writing the lyrics to the song because she just got back from Boston and she was crying a lot while making that and another song, but they didn't go into specifics about what happened in Boston that made Lana feel bad.

We have to remember it was interscope who was keeping the album from being released. It was not Lana being a bitch, she even had to fight to get it out finally in August. it was confirmed last week at some point, I know I saw it.

I don’t remember her saying she fought for it. Only that she loved taking her time and not having an idea of how it would come out.

If you are referring to her comments during yesterday's livestream she just mentioned that she noticed that people seem to like cinnamon girl a lot and then she said she thinks people like it because it is the "sauciest". Then her producer guy said that she was in a very bad mood when writing the lyrics to the song because she just got back from Boston and she was crying a lot while making that and another song, but they didn't go into specifics about what happened in Boston that made Lana feel bad.

You calling Jack "her producer guy" is sending me  :lmao:

into your eyes tumblr_olomd1pIFG1u8tvjvo2_500.gif my face remains

Aw I get where she’s coming from with some stans blindly enjoying everything their artists put out but I feel like the article in question really did not make any meaningful points of criticism lol. Like Lana said, a lot of journalists tend to exaggerate or add some odd narrative to Lana’s albums that puts the emphasis on all the wrong aspects of the music. That article heavily referenced a bunch of legendary artists they thought Lana drew inspiration from (and she undoubtedly does listen to a lot of them) but I don’t think she wrote parts of this record with them exactly in mind so it’s pretty unfair to make deliberate comparisons to them and berate her for it.

An actual red pill for this record would be discussing how Lana selectively chooses Kanye as a scapegoat for the loss of the culture when one of the members of The Beach Boys (who she also references in the same song) is a big Trump supporter as well. Idk who pointed that out but I saw it in a thread here and that’s definitely somewhat hypocritical :rip:

LDR should have critiqued the thought-piece by Ann Powers in a better way than just taking it personally. I thought Ann's review was like reading a James-Joyce-esque NFR review. She also made the comparison of LDR to Joni look like a comparison of Raymond Chandler to William Shakespeare (two famous writers I pulled out of my ...), which I guess one can do, but when one does something like that, then *adequately* emphasizing the fact both are good for different reasons seems crucial (I think Ann was actually trying to do just that, just not very well apparently).

As to the Kanye point being more interesting to write about, I agree totally. I'm not a critic, but here's an idea. I think there was a highly unflattering Mike Love reference too (he's the Trump supporter right?) at the beginning of the song. This balances out the Kanye diss at the end of the song. It's where she refers to Dennis Wilson, and then immediately follows that up with the Kokomo reference (a Mike Love associated song, and not too well liked in the BB's discography, as I learned from an NFR review). Dennis was married to someone claiming to be Mike's out-of-wedlock daughter shortly before Dennis died in classic rock and roll fashion (i.e. via a series of self-inflicted misadventures). While this is not an explicit reference to Mike, I think there are enough bad vibrations to assume a simple nostalgia reference to the BBs is not what LDR intends in the song. IMO, she's implying these two particular Beach Boys were/are fucked up, just in different ways (i.e., Dennis via RnR culture; Mike via <fill in the blank>).

Refs:

Doin' Time's MV almost hit 11M views and 670k likes in a week! :creep:

"ser bella me dio privilegios, pero ser astuta me dio poder"  :makeup:

dude fantano was so fucking happy he enjoyed the album and avoided the backlash he gets from lana stans after every album review he seemed genuinely relieved

Meanwhile, Ann Powers (the target of her Twitter wrath) is "taking a break from Twitter" :eek:

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream