HeartshapedChevrolet

Paradise - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Paradise  

277 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite songs from Paradise?

• Ride
    • American
    • Cola
    • Body Electric
    • Blue Velvet
    • Gods & Monsters
    • Yayo
    • Bel Air
    • Burning Desire

Bask in the ear candy :flutter: and reflect on my perpetual question, "who needs actual drugs when there is So. Much. Beauty?!?"

On reflection, I've realized my rhetorical question sounds really douchey, as if I'm saying "My emotional addictions are better than everyone else's addictions" or something. I'm sorry. It's hard for each of us to let go of whatever's helping make us feel a little less despairing in life.

Back to TPE... I don't know, it's like someone put eight scoops of the highest quality of vanilla ice cream in front of me (maybe with caramel drizzles on #8, and cinnamon sprinkles on #3) and said, "Have at it." UM, NO THANK YOU!

Maybe one scoop at the end of a nice steak dinner, or a fabulous Indian buffet, or even in the middle, and it would stand out! Even eight different flavors of ice cream, all lined up, would seem deliciously decadent (but only one time). But eight servings of stand-out aural ice cream do not stand out!

It's like listening to a legend of rock's later catalogue. Like Rush's Hold Your Fire. Or like what I imagine Springsteen's Tunnel of Love would be like (but I never checked it out because I've been down that road too many times before, thankyouverymuch.)

I guess I understand the need to market albums in such a way that all the songs seem to go together. But it's a delicate balance between finding sister-songs and birthing octuplets. IMO. Nobody should listen to me, though, because I totally consider The White Stripes' Elephant to be an example of, if not sophomore slump, then at any rate slump that is inexplicably popular.

I'm not giving up on TPE just yet, but all I know how to approach it right now is treat it as a separate release and tweak/supplement the playlist like mad.

Burning Desire 4/5 - I just feel like this & 'Ride' should swap places, that is all.

YES! This is the type of thing that would help tremendously.

39150648115_3584eac590_o.png

Okay, I've got some questions dealing with the quality for some of the songs... I want to know if anyone can tell me which of the two are better here, based on the wavelengths or whatever, if you can even tell that way. The one on the right is first copy I've had for a while, the one everyone complained about being grainy and compressed. The one on the left is one I just downloaded that came with the full album, so i assume they might have fixed the problem? Eh, see for yourself.

tumblr_mda65nQgvN1r5umu6o1_1280.png

Also, has the Ride quality issue been solved? The one I have recently downloaded sounds a bit quieter than the single version I have, but maybe it's less compressed? I'm not good at telling with these kind of things. Helppp.

14417469274.gif

I may write a more in-depth review later, but here is my ratings.

Ride 10/10

American 10/10

Cola 10/10

Body Electric 10/10

Blue Velvet 10/10

Gods & Monsters 9/10

Yayo 9/10

Bel Air 10/10

Burning Desire 10/10

To see why I rated Gods & Monsters and Yayo lower, check my post in the " Pick Your Least Favorite From Paradise" thread. ;)

H0bDaqU.gif

Ride was in 256kbps on itunes+ (or whatever)

but on other websites it was 320 with clearer drums and that

When downloading paradise, I searched for a flac version

I couldn't find one, so I had to settle with a 320 kbps version

(I don't know if this has anything to do with what you said...)

I think they have fixed it, I think the problem was the first one was a few dB's higher than original which made it grainy and 'compressed' but i don't know :P

Lana.pngAngel-Headed Hipster

I searched for a flac version

I searched for one this morning and I found one. iTunes doesn't recognise FLAC files so I converted them to .aiffs. Apparently 24-bit .aiffs are equivalent to 2,116kb/s! :oprah:

tumblr_mdaeikYXqA1qerg8so1_400.png

Anyway, I complained about Burning Desire's quality in this thread. I seriously hate the quality. The second copy is definitely a bit louder but idk about the quality. iTunes quality is at 256kb/s so anyone who says they have a 320 of Burning Desire is lying because BD is the iTunes bonus track//you can't officially get it anywhere else (right?)

The second one looks like it has lots of clipping (same as my copy) ugh.

I searched for one this morning and I found one. iTunes doesn't recognise FLAC files so I converted them to .aiffs. Apparently 24-bit .aiffs are equivalent to 2,116kb/s! :oprah:

tumblr_mdaeikYXqA1qerg8so1_400.png

anyone who says they have a 320 of Burning Desire is lying because BD is the iTunes bonus track//you can't officially get it anywhere else (right?)

Hmm according to my flac one that I found on winamp it said:

wekbX.png

847kbps

I have burning desire in 320, I simply typed it in on a torrent website, and it sounds so much better than the itunes imo

Lana.pngAngel-Headed Hipster

Cola - those HIGH notes are heavenly, they're eargasms, they're ... :crying:

or

Body Electric - it's my favourite song but the studio version is like...you know... :eek: it's still amazing but...IT DOESN'T COMPARE TO THE LIVE ONE!

or

American - the bridge = gorgeous, omg the bridge *fainting* "....i don't even know what i'm saying but i'm praying for you......" :crying:

how do i pick????

EDIT: Fuck it, YAYO wins my heart, forever and alwaysss....

4VgqAMv.gif

~xxx~

Anyway, I complained about Burning Desire's quality in this thread. I seriously hate the quality. The second copy is definitely a bit louder but idk about the quality. iTunes quality is at 256kb/s so anyone who says they have a 320 of Burning Desire is lying because BD is the iTunes bonus track//you can't officially get it anywhere else (right?)

The second one looks like it has lots of clipping (same as my copy) ugh.

I have Burning Desire in 320 kb/s but I think somebody converted it from 256 to 320. But it still sounds grainy.

MkWI4Ns.png

I love this thread. It's helping me emotionally prepare for the fact pitchfork is going to pan the fuck out of Lana again. I don't know why I even read the reviews anymore tbh.

4d05b88473027157c69dadf2c058161f.jpg

Ride 5/5: I looooove Ride since the first time i listened to it, i have cried singing it (i'm such a pussy)

American 4/5: I really like this song, her vocals are great... The lyrics aren't amazing but i still love it

Cola 4/5 I like Cola but when you listen to it complete the My Pussy Tastes Like Pepsi Cola part doesn't shine that much, i don't even know why i gave it 4/5 seriously hahahaha i just think that it ''deserves'' it because of the high notes, they make me have an orgasm and i love trying to sing them :diva:

Body Electric 2.5/5: I was waiting so much for this song and it's just normal, nothing great and not bad

Blue Velvet 3.5/5: I have listened sooo much this song that now i'm bored, i still think is a beautiful cover

Gods And Monsters 3/5: I like the dirty Lana but this is not the best song to be want to get fucked hard in the land of gods and monsters

Yayo 1.5/5: Ugh, i don't even know what to say..... the biggest mistake Lana has ever done seriously, she ruined one of her best songs i'm so dissapointed, this is just awful :defeated: :facepalm:

Bel Air 3.5/5: It's not bad, is a cute song but i get tired of it a lot in the final part, is like: Damn please finish!

Burning Desire 3.5: Cool song, like it

Paradise score 3.7/5 (idk why but i can't give it a 4): Love some songs, hate some songs, but still a good album... the only things that bothers me is that some songs repeat the lyrics so much and it gets tiring and that Blue Velvet doesn't quite fit the album.

The iTunes audio of Ride I have is so bad...

BTW, what's up with that low quality voice in the bridge of Cola? (I think it's called the bridge? The verse right before the chorus? Lana says "All he wants to do is party with his pretty baby", then she says something but the voice is really loud and LQ)

Thinking of just waiting until i get a physical copy to change my files. Advisable?

Yes! I was going to do the same until I realized that my second, newer copy of Burning Desire is cleaner, and you know what? Fuck it. I don't like it that way, I prefer it gritty and a little compressed and overly loud. It fits the instrumentation of the song. I love it. Ride, on the other hand, doesn't work that way. Guys, if you need better quality versions, wait for your physical CD or just download the songs from an ITunes link but make sure the file is part of the album, and not the single put with the album songs. iTunes fixed the problems with both of the songs.

14417469274.gif