Elle

62nd Annual Grammy Awards - General Discussion Thread

I saw a comment online that Lana cried when they announced AOTY. Does anyone know if this is true? I was in a rage at the time and didn’t see that happen.

If she did, you couldn't see it on TV. The pic that's been circulating is a fake edit.

Webp-net-resizeimage.gif

I've got to say, though, that the energy she put (be it intentional or not) was disappointing.

Call me crazy, but yesterday morning I woke up feeling like Lana was having a bad time. All day I felt like she was extremely nervous, 2012-level.

And she did. She literally sabotaged herself; obviously, psychologically speaking, as a defense menchanism. Showing up late, having no plans looks-wise, avoiding the red carpet, literally asking not to be shown on camera, refusing a chance to be a presenter... She obviously was painfully anxious. Her face was of devastation.

I can tell that today she must feel like nothing she does is worth it.

The greatest loss of them all.

I've got to say, though, that the energy she put (be it intentional or not) was disappointing.

Call me crazy, but yesterday morning I woke up feeling like Lana was having a bad time. All day I felt like she was extremely nervous, 2012-level.

And she did. She literally sabotaged herself; obviously, psychologically speaking, as a defense menchanism. Showing up late, having no plans looks-wise, avoiding the red carpet, literally asking not to be shown on camera, refusing a chance to be a presenter... She obviously was painfully anxious. Her face was of devastation.

I can tell that today she must feel like nothing she does is worth it.

The greatest loss of them all.

:O is this all true? She turned down presenting?

A few thoughts:

Idgaf she didn't win and the fact billy won solidifies that even more

She looked great - the article about her look on dailymail is all overwhelmingly positive comments about her look and her album. Being covered up and wearing not much makeup. Her slutshaming right wing fanbase is growing which can only be good for her future sales  :troll:  

In the red carpet interview it sounds like her New York twang is coming back.  :legend:

Is it true she was sat in the same row as Dan Auerbach?? That is major  :defeated:  :defeated:  I hope they talked

I honestly don't care that Lana didn't play the game and campaign or whatever - it was literally revealed how corrupt the grammy voting is last week. She is over 10 years into her career and just peaking. Other artists who won tonight can only imagine having a career with such a stable and upward trajectory as hers. She is the real winner period.

"It's 2011, and we should all be aware of exactly how fast technology is developing" - Lana Del Rey

She is over 10 years into her career and just peaking. Other artists who won tonight can only imagine having a career with such a stable and upward trajectory as hers. She is the real winner period.

Very well said

Well, I guess I shouldn't be too surprised about how things turned out. If they really wanted people to believe a voting population actually decided the winners, they should publish anonymous statistics about how many voted for each award and frequencies of the categories voting (e.g. producers, primary performers, studio musicians?, record execs?, actually it would be interesting just knowing what the hell the categories are). I think Billie won fair and square, but I still think it's crazy to reward a new artist that much on a first outing. And Finneas getting POTY on the basis of producing just one album? (even if it is AOTY) seems a tad ridiculous.

To look on the bright side, I'll note that winning AOTY didn't do Beck's career any *artistic* good, imo. I'm also glad Tyler got one, even if I haven't gotten into Igor as much as his others. Finally, I'm glad Esperanza Spalding got Best Jazz Vocal Album for 12 little Spells, an award she's won before.

I think its better she didnt win the Scammy, it would've defeated the whole purpose of the NFR pretentious self-important poet figure. By not winning, she never becomes Norman fucking Rockwell

I think its better she didnt win the Scammy, it would've defeated the whole purpose of the NFR pretentious self-important poet figure. By not winning, she never becomes Norman fucking Rockwell

this is a good point actually lmao!

Wq9zHLl.jpg

Thanks to Lanaboards for helping me make it through last night. No way could I have watched that whole thing alone. It would have been great if Lana had won but I hold no ill will towards Billie Eilish. She didn't choose the winner, she was the winner. She is young and talented and that's how things turned out. She seems somewhat grounded, hasn't been to rehab or arrested. She has a good relationship with her family. She might be extra grateful for her brother as he may have the most talent. I don't know.

The thing that is unforgivable is that Lana's name was only mentioned as part of the announcements of the nominees. No love from Alicia or Billie. Bullshit.

Tbh the more I watch Billie’s reaction to her big win, the more I think she was embarrassed. I actually feel sorry for her. She probably thought everyone was gonna get some wins and have a good time but then she won everything. If I were her, I’d feel like I was annoying and ruining the night by winning so much (I’m not saying she was, it’s just how I’d feel in her position). And with all the stuff coming out about the Grammys being biased right before she wins a bunch of awards must feel crappy. Like I’d probably be wondering for the rest of my life if I really deserved them. Not to mention, it’ll be almost impossible to live up to those awards in the future so they’ve set her up for future disappointment and people will say stuff like “oh she went down hill after her debut, never won again” or something. Like yeah it sounds weird to feel sorry for someone for winning lots of Grammys but who knows how she was handling it mentally. I still think Lana should’ve won AOTY but yeah I feel like it’d be shitty to be Billie right now because the Grammys pretty much set her up to get hated on instead of themselves.

75db99d920c2ca66a0ee7e5c2de27df4181ca688

Tbh the more I watch Billie’s reaction to her big win, the more I think she was embarrassed. I actually feel sorry for her. She probably thought everyone was gonna get some wins and have a good time but then she won everything. If I were her, I’d feel like I was annoying and ruining the night by winning so much (I’m not saying she was, it’s just how I’d feel in her position). And with all the stuff coming out about the Grammys being biased right before she wins a bunch of awards must feel crappy. Like I’d probably be wondering for the rest of my life if I really deserved them. Not to mention, it’ll be almost impossible to live up to those awards in the future so they’ve set her up for future disappointment and people will say stuff like “oh she went down hill after her debut, never won again” or something. Like yeah it sounds weird to feel sorry for someone for winning lots of Grammys but who knows how she was handling it mentally. I still think Lana should’ve won AOTY but yeah I feel like it’d be shitty to be Billie right now because the Grammys pretty much set her up to get hated on instead of themselves.

for me it was exaggerated the amount of awards she won. it was too much she is soooo young and has a lot to conquer. i mean wtf one day you dream about being famous and the next day you are at the fucking top without even trying. like it or not, grammys set prestige to the artists for a lot of people. its like, how could she even top this in the future? its ridicuclous. if she gets all the recognition now when she didn't even deserve it (she actually feels that way that's why she didn't want to keep winning), how will she feel when she really works her ass off while waiting the recognition of the academy and not getting it the way she did yesterday? she has to be intelligent and be above this shit, take the fame off her head and focus in being a true artist, otherwise some stupid asshole will take advantage of her and ruin her career. this happens. we've seen this a lot of times. and i don't know why i have the feeling something stupid and nonesense will end Billie's prestige. i really hope not, she is just a kid and she's nice

tumblr_pdttwcdZss1v75vie_500.png

Billie might have a bit of anxiety to live up to her Grammy's for the next album. 

Our girl still remains an underdog. At least we can all say we stan and underrated queen. 

Another silver lining: I was afraid she would doubt a lot of WHF if she had won AOTY. And everyone in his right mind would: «sequel project» with the same producer... At least she doesn't have the pressure to live up to the hype. Sure, AOTY would have given NFR even more exposure, but imagine the delay for WHF...

And Lana can now compare herself to Queen Bey when it comes to being rubbed by the Grammy's :P 

Maybe Lana's loss has something to do with the Academy wanting to change a bit by not giving another award to Jack Antonoff? I don't know his exact track record, but hasn't Jack won like many AOTY Grammy's over the last years?

for me it was exaggerated the amount of awards she won. it was too much she is soooo young and has a lot to conquer. i mean wtf one day you dream about being famous and the next day you are at the fucking top without even trying. like it or not, grammys set prestige to the artists for a lot of people. its like, how could she even top this in the future? its ridicuclous. if she gets all the recognition now when she didn't even deserve it (she actually feels that way that's why she didn't want to keep winning), how will she feel when she really works her ass off while waiting the recognition of the academy and not getting it the way she did yesterday? she has to be intelligent and be above this shit, take the fame off her head and focus in being a true artist, otherwise some stupid asshole will take advantage of her and ruin her career. this happens. we've seen this a lot of times. and i don't know why i have the feeling something stupid and nonesense will end Billie's prestige. i really hope not, she is just a kid and she's nice

exactly my thoughs

Maybe Lana's loss has something to do with the Academy wanting to change a bit by not giving another award to Jack Antonoff? I don't know his exact track record, but hasn't Jack won like many AOTY Grammy's over the last years?

Still :rip: I mean... okay you don't want to give Jack the Producer of the Year award but at least give it to Dan Auerbach... Dan worked on countless projects throughout 2019 and all of them were amazing (his own album wasn't that good, but still)... why give it to a brand new producer who only produced one album? :rip: Give them TIME damn!

the grammys love to shower people with awards, billie yesterday was literally a prime example of this DeadBanana.gif

i76mrxw.png 

exactly my thoughs

Still :rip: I mean... okay you don't want to give Jack the Producer of the Year award but at least give it to Dan Auerbach... Dan worked on countless projects throughout 2019 and all of them were amazing (his own album wasn't that good, but still)... why give it to a brand new producer who only produced one album? :rip: Give them TIME damn!

the grammys love to shower people with awards, billie yesterday was literally a prime example of this DeadBanana.gif

Giving such prestigious awards to Billie and her brother sounds very much to me:  «We're still a fresh and cool academy that recognizes young talents»