suicideblonde

Ranking Lana's Outros

Hello everyone! In order to keep us entertained until more COCC songs are released, I created a list and analysis of my top ten Lana Outros (basically the last ~1 minute of the song). Lana's outros can be the most emotionally powerful parts of her songs and they are essential to some of the songs in her catalog. I  based my ranking off my gut instinct, everything is subjective and just my interpretation of the song. Your image is loading...Do not expect anything coherent below. These are my unhinged LB-emoji-interspersed ramblingsYour image is loading...

10. The Blackest Day:smokes2:

Spoiler

Coming in at number ten is The Blackest Day. To me, The Blackest Day is a journey from denial that Lana's man is leaving her to acceptance of it. In the beginning/middle of the song, she is in mourning of the man that left her (Looking for love in all the wrong places, oh my god), fantasizing about their relationship, and refusing to look toward the future without him. Then final chorus before the outro is much more stripped back, as if she is coming to terms with the fact that she made a mistake. Then, as the strings and drums kick back in for the outro, she proceeds to resolve herself to toughen up and move on from this man, even though reality is hard to face  (dZMR.gif:lange:) The vocals for that line in particular are so expressive - you can't help but feel like you've just been broken up with and you're moving on from your good for nuthin man, facing the world alone but free. The 180 that she does from the beginning of the song to the outro is why The Blackest Day is so high. 

9. Yes To Heaven:pray2:

Spoiler

Yes To Heaven's outro is so short, I would only consider it to be the last :25 of the song. However, its effectiveness makes up for its length. :wtfney:Throughout the song, Lana is inviting the listener to escape with her out of reality to heaven or wherever the fack we are going. It's the sort of song where you can close your eyes and feel like you've been transported to another world just by listening to the music. During the outro, the return of the opening guitar and the repetition of "I've got my eye on you"....I feel like I'm ascending if u know what i mean :oprah3: It's just so beautiful I can't explain :xcry::xcry: but then again I never promised to be able to :dua: lets move on 

8. High By The Beach:notamused:

Spoiler

High By The Beach is Lana's ultimate femme fatale song and the outro really hammers it home. Not sure if this is an unpopular opinion because I never see you guys talking about it but I am a sucker for the spoken word verse at the end of HBTB :lolliney: It adds a perfect dash of baddie energy to contrast the heavenly vocals in the outro. I could marry then kill 3 different men in the span of time it takes Lana to recite the verse and I would still have appetite for more :willcut: :willcut::willcut::raven:

7. I Talk To Jesus:suicide:

Spoiler

Lipster's DESERVING :ma:2020 leak of the year comes in at number seven. ITTJ focuses on Lana reflecting on better days and praying for someone or something to save her from the life that she has ended up in. The outro of the song is very long at nearly 1:20 minutes but I never want to skip it. The guitar cuts off and the strings are the only instrument that remain throughout the entire song and the outro. Lana stops singing , and instead her voice is replaced by beautiful high pitched angelic noises, like she reached heaven and escaped the life that she was suffering in. It's very cathartic. Maybe she was saved or maybe she gave up on her life and died, it's up to you to decide. Either way, it's very beautiful, sad but peaceful at the same time. Living Legend cannot compare :derpna3:

6. Honeymoon:noir:

Spoiler

dZNg.gif:wowcry:

The outro of Honeymoon is not only essential to the song, but also the whole album. With the outro of Honeymoon, Lana is extending a hand to you and taking you into the dreamscape that she has created with the Honeymoon album. (Why are all my top outros about escapism... what does this say about me :bebe:) Then, when the "I like you a lot" of MTWBT comes in immediately following the outro, you're like......... in another world :oprah3:This is another one where I am not sure how to explain why it is so beautiful so I am falling back on LB emojis.... you either get the vibe or you dont get the vibe :hair:

5. Raise Me Up:beyonce:

Spoiler

Lizzy Grant makes an appearance :candy: Lana had good outros in her DNA. The heavy beat and guitar on this song make me feel like I'm on the run from the law or sum thing. :hottie: I love the outro because of all the layers of noise that you can get lost in. The breakdown of the strings leads in to the outro alongside the hypnotic repetition of "ray - raise me up," then drums kick in really loud with "shot -  gUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN" repeating over and over again like part of the rhythm, and the dZNn.gif in a low gravelly voice :angie: and then someone playing the guitar violently like :kris:. This outro makes me want to drive my car to the freeway so that I can get into a police chase on purpose. I am crazy but i am free. 

4. Mariners Apartment Complex:aw:

Spoiler

I hate Jack Antonoff as much as any other girlie, but I have to give him credit for this one :creep3: The overall vibe of Mariners is very comforting to me, in comparison to some of the other songs on this list. It seems like the song is closing as Lana repeats "I'm your man," but then the guitar starts to build up again and Lana starts singing again. The tone of the guitar is so beautiful and welcoming and the echoing "catch a wave and take in the sweetness, you want this you need this" is so happy and warm.  It just makes u have a fuzzy feeling in ur chest if u know what I mean :trisha: I sort of wish that Lana would have put Mariners as the first title track on the album because the "are you ready for it" echoing at the end would have worked similarly to how "dreaming away your life" worked for HM. Anywho, it worked well as a leading single for the whole era of the NFR album. 

3. Cola:pussypower:

Spoiler

Once in freshman year I ran a two mile race and the only thing playing in my head was the last :45 of this song. From the guitar slowly building up to the whisperedYour image is loading..., everything about it continues the crazy bitch energy of the song that was manifested with the WOOOOOOO Your image is loading... at 2:53. When Cola stops and goes to Body Electric, are you :pout:? Are you ready to continue listening to music that is not Cola? No, for several hours afterward you will be:defeated::burn::eartha: :monica:. This is due to the strength of the Cola outro. Once you listen to it, you are permanently changed as a person. It's like a tattoo on your brain.  My favorite part is right at the end where the saxophone comes in and she goes Your image is loading...(heart shaped box teas?) I wish she would extend that part or use sax more in her music because he voice goes so well with it. 

2. Flipside:wowcry:

Spoiler

Flipside :wowcry: Flipside:wowcry: To me, Flipside is about looking back on something that you used to have and wanting it so badly despite also knowing how awful it was. With the lyrics of the song, Lana is torn between the melancholia and the beauty of the relationship (I'm getting all dressed up tonight, Dressed up just to hear you, boy, I already know what you got in store, Why I go, baby, I don't know),  and the instrumental of the song captures the feeling perfectly. When Lana stops singing and only the instrumental is left, it's like she's stopped debating between the two sides of the relationship and given in to accepting that she will forever be tied to it regardless. The outro feels like looking back with rose colored glasses at dark days in your life and seeing them as beautiful and wishing that you were there even though you shouldn't be. The outro is very simple, it repeats the same chord pattern with the guitar about nine times around, but the tones of the guitar and the way that the instruments are slowly stripped back is so evocative. Don't even get me started on that riff with the clean guitar... i have never heard anything more beautiful in my life maybe :angie:The final layer that is left at the end of the song is the lonely guitar from the intro. It's so chilling (the hairs on my arms be like :groundhog:) and the return to the pattern from the intro suggests that Lana will be forever stuck in this cycle of reminiscing about her past love but simultaneously being aware that he is hurting her. So beautiful so sad :xcry:

1. Pretty When You Cry:omg:

Spoiler

We made it to the end! If you got this far, congratulations. The last minute of this song makes me feel like that picture of the person bending backwards with light exploding outward from their stomach (:pout: can't find it rn). After the the bridge, Lana skips a final verse (wish she would do that more often) and uses the momentum from the bridge to explode into the cathartic outro which contains: 

• Stargirl level vocals :tanisha:
  • Drums go boom :tanisha:
  • Daddy blake on guitar :tanisha:

This song is going to put the Church out of business because every time that I listen to it I feel like I'm being exorcised. cleansed. purified. stripped down to my bare soul and built back up. I experience an ego death and become one with the music. nothing is real. 

hallelujah GIFpraise GIFfrustrated over it GIF by VH1:kris:

If ANYONE. I MEAN ANYONE disagrees with PWYC at number one, they can meet me in the pale moonlight relationships/intimacy thread at 7PM EST and we can have a gif battle. 

Honorable Mention 
Spoiler
  1. Off To The Races 
  2. Cruel World
  3. Next Best American Record Original LFL Version (this would be higher if it didn’t have that noise in the background that drives me crazy)
  4. Heroin
  5. Lust For Life Original Demo 

So that's my list and reasoning. Rate or hate on my ranking or post your own! I am a UV/HM stan so my list is not very diverse :barrie:  Maybe if we're really bored we can play survivor with Lana outros or sumthing :creep3: 

These are so good! Totally agree with TBD (I'd def put that first), HBTB, Honeymoon, Cola, Flipside, OTTR and TNBAR demo. 

I might do a ranking later when I can go through everything but others I can think of that really shine through are:

Shades of Cool

Religion (even tho it can be considered boring, with headphones it sounds like a blissful doom approaching)

West Coast

Body Electric (those final drums! Whew)

Cinnamon Girl 

Groupie Love 

1 hour ago, 99centlips said:

venice bitch?? 

The whole seven minute instrumental section causes there to be little distinction for what really is the outro. And because the instrumental is so long, the song doesn’t really culminate in anything which is why I decided not to put it in 

I feel like both UV and HM have the best outros. The Blackest Day, Honeymoon, Pretty When You Cry, Money Power Glory, Shades Of Col, 24 - all of them are soooo good.

BTD & Paradise songs are much more focussed on a "standard" pop-track architecture to have memorable outros. On NFR the songs either did not really have an outro at all or they just drag the instrumental for another minute without anything happening. Listening to CoCC and LMBYLAW the same thing will happen on the next album. Maybe Jack's just bad with outros.

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

I don't know if it's considered outro but 24's ending is iconic. 

You're hard to REACH. you're cold to touch

I see it's more a post-chorus oops 

Edited by WildMustang

...just you and me feeling the heat even when the sun goes down...

37 minutes ago, Electric Body said:

On NFR the songs either did not really have an outro at all or they just drag the instrumental for another minute without anything happening. Listening to CoCC and LMBYLAW the same thing will happen on the next album. Maybe Jack's just bad with outros.

I think on NFR some of the outros are supposed to be a transition to another direction of the album sonically,  e.g the beats in the CG  followed by HTD witch has some beats in it. The Greatest piano outro to transition to the last piano heavy part of the album. I think COTCC outro could transition really well into TJF. LMLYLAW is very abrupt so I hope it makes more sense within the album.  However I agree that the outros of her earlier albums ( especially UV & HM ) are somehow superior. I really love the COTCC outro though...the " my cancer is sun my leo is moon" part , the drums building up..really love that

OiUHEXQ.jpg

Swan Song. It’s on my album Honeymoon. It’s the antithesis of hopefulness. It’s about trying to find beauty in giving up. If I had my way, I would continue to persist in all areas of my life, but it can be quite challenging because I can be too trusting too soon.":sadcore2:

1 hour ago, Pico Boulevard said:

I think on NFR some of the outros are supposed to be a transition to another direction of the album sonically,  e.g the beats in the CG  followed by HTD witch has some beats in it. The Greatest piano outro to transition to the last piano heavy part of the album. I think COTCC outro could transition really well into TJF. LMLYLAW is very abrupt so I hope it makes more sense within the album.  However I agree that the outros of her earlier albums ( especially UV & HM ) are somehow superior. I really love the COTCC outro though...the " my cancer is sun my leo is moon" part , the drums building up..really love that

Since CoCcs song structure is not really very conventional, it's kind of hard to point at where the outro starts (like with FILY), so I personally would have only considered the drums as an outro - which are nice, yet not particularly interesting (since they are missing the backing vocals from the MV)

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

Honeymoon for sure

High By the Beach

TNBAR  We play the eagles down in maliiiibu and I waaaant it

Lana Del Rey, Maggie Lindemann, Banks, Melanie Martinez, & Taylor Momsen are my guardian angels 

Bentley

Prom Song (Gone Wrong)

Your Band Is All The Rage

Brooklyn Baby

Flipside

Fuck it, I love you

Lust for Life (demo 2)

Us Against the World

Your Girl

13 Beaches

Heroin

Honeymoon

The Blackest Day

Color Blue

Axl Rose Husband

Making Out

Dance for Money

Yes to Heaven

869-DEC9-E-0-FB4-4-EAF-82-CA-790-EF45189

i am sure i am forgetting some brilliant outros but my favourites - in order, kinda - include:

yayo aka (the last few seconds are PERFECT. so sparkly and dreamy and sleeping beauty-like??)

honeymoon (the refrain “dreaming away your life” kills me)

oh say can you see + freak like me 

venice bitch

the greatest

the blackest day (“it’s not one of those phases i’m going through” :rip:)

mermaid motel (demo)

fuck it i love you

text book

brooklyn baby

pretty when you cry

born to die demo 3 lol

born to die + off to the races + this is what makes us girls

if you lie down with me brass section 

tulsa jesus freak

cinnamon girl

i talk to jesus (the ghostly fade out)

kill kill