Elle

TEMPORARY Chemtrails Over the Country Club - Pre-Release Thread: OUT March 19th, 2021

nfr played it very safe. which is fine. she's prob tired of being called a suicidal cokehead whore every time she blinks. i cant blame her for that. 

for chemtrails, i just want some instrumentation back. some production. nfr was stripped back in every sense, and it was nice for what it was. but i want to hear that Big Lana Del Rey Sound again. 

lust for life was a lot more thoughtful and less gloomy, as well, but those songs are still enjoyable to listen to. there's still replay value there. nfr is a chore to sit through (in my opinion). only a couple songs actually stayed in the playlist. 

This!!! 

I fell in love with lana's music because of how cinematic and dramatic it was production really brings a lot of emotions and mood to a song that's one thing that makes NFR feel so lackluster, it's a nice record to listen to if you just wanna chill or clean your house but lyrically it was too safe and sonically is was watered down compared to pretty much everything else she's released. even honeymoon which has a lot of questionable and elementary lyrics makes up for it cause the whole album makes you feel like you're in a movie with how grand the production is 

i love you, but you don't understand me.

About the « safe » lyrics of NFR...

each one of her albums is a chapter in her life. BTD is end of teenage, UV is early 20, HM is end of 20 to 30, LFL is her 30’s life crisis and NFR is mid-30. She always sang about what she was living at the moment and each of her records feels personal on that matter. You can’t expect her to sing about being a cocained Lolita who wants a daddy anymore because that’s not who she is anymore: she is in her 30s and made it, and she is coming closer in age being a mother than to act like a teenage. The themes she explored on UV and BTD are probably gone. On NFR, she is the same person she was on BTD, only grown up. She is still unapologetic, but maybe not that auto destructive anymore (and about her being a « good girl », go back and listen to Gramma on AKA: you have the essence of LDR: a good girl who feels too much and who is tempted to give in her to her demons: on NFR, she kinda remembers that and is back at that place). NFR is the album that screams: take me as I am and fuck off if you don’t like it, maybe more so than the ones that came before it. The album feels extremely sincere and I don’t think she toned down anything to please the crowd. The only album that don’t feel 100% « authentic » is LFL: Some songs are heartfelt (13 Beaches, In My Feelings, Heroin, Change, Get Free), while some others are written from « other perspectives » and don’t feel as « sincere », in a way (BPBP, GBA...). Also, she stated that NFR was inspired by singer-songwriter vibes from Laurel Canyon, and it’s exactly that: sincere, emotional, minimal production, incredible storytelling. You couldn’t have UV lyrics on that kind of production and call it « Laurel Canyon inspired ». I don’t know if that inspiration was intentional form day one or if it came along the way.

I’m not sure what some here expect from her lyrics. To me, as long as the songs feel sincere and have beautiful imagery in the lyrics, they will be incredible LDR songs. I’m curious to hear what the last months brought to her lyricism, if we will feel her in a « raw » state of mind or not, especially knowing that the album was completed on a short period of time.

You’re a goddess, I would’ve not said it better. And I feel like COTCC is gonna be a natural continuation to NFR.

I'll do it for the right reasons

Withstanding all the time, changes and seasons

~?~

the thing is having a few songs with "fuck" in the title is not the kind of thing lana has to do to be risky, what @@Lemonade Tears said the industry is being dominated by hip hop which is a very vulgar and insensitive genre that never holds back. it feels cheap for her to add some edginess to everything by throwing fuck around when look how daring born to die is and how much it got people heated from the lyrics and themes alone, the only song with fuck in it is radio which is literally the safest song on the album theme wise. NFR is a safe album and that's fine that's what she chose to do this time around but she's capable of making something groundbreaking 

You’re a goddess, I would’ve not said it better. And I feel like COTCC is gonna be a natural continuation to NFR.

Thank you, sweetie! You’re one of my fave members here :) I really enjoy reading your posts :)

honestly, these days, it's dangerous to really be open and tender, especially without any ego protections. no pretenses 
and at the end of the day, mounds or trenches, don't we all just want a quiet moment to ourselves w the people, environment we want with us at home (wherever/whoever that might be?)

when shit's going on, all around you in life, busy busy busy. this record's a great refuge. and it doesn't go all Big Bang on you, but it's the soft little moments of wonder and realizations that make it beautiful. the production really aids the storytelling. soft drones, guitars. psychedelia, it's great to really unwind. and she mentioned at the start how the album's more like islands of refuge to collect and protect u from future events, so it's more introspective in tone. for some, people go about running from themselves their whole lives, regardless of intelligence n awareness. 

jeez if we were talking more danger, what's more dangerous than not being contented and grateful for ur life at someone's winter? I genuinely wonder if anyone'd be saying the same if we got info from the academy and what the critics were saying etc. 

regardless, this record was necessary, and really, without it, I think Lana would've just burnt herself out further, and we'd get somethings less than truthful. 

norman fucking rockwell, breaking down the ego
MAC, a song about being the bigger person 
venice: overcoming ones' self and envisioning ur future 
filly: feelings. admitting feelings for someone? that's FUCKING hard enough as it is. w life experience? still pretty difficult. if not moree.
DT: this one. it's like a reversion of herself for protection's sake imo
Love song: it is plain. but its stripped enough to capture the feeling of nostalgic love. once in a lifetime? surrendering. the taste the touch, the way we love. it all comes down to make the sound of our love song. quite literal, gets metaphoric, but also truer than true.
literally even says, "is it safe, to just be who we are?"
Cinnamon: touches on abuse. but also, growth from it. 
HTD: another song about disappearing parallel'd w being selfless. 
California: fuck its dangerous to be so fucking desperate, but she did it anyway. 
TNBAR: love relapse imo. 
TG: the realization and accepting that nothing's ever gonna be the same. 
Bartender: contemplation of her peers where she questions if what she really wants is still what she even wants. 
HiaB: cool down. 
hope: alright, she's processed. she's gonna keep going. 

definitely less outward than her past work, but solid enough, and even piercing norms/ shifting focus from the world outside, to the one already inside yourself. 

did she guise it with self refs, and caricatures of herself? I call that stripping and being made new. do u know how difficult it is to just be conventional, when ur not? like fuck. especially w all the bravado and chest pumping and the emotions wheeled from those motives. it's actually quite a strength to be soft and flexible, that while keeping true to yourself. triiggoo. this album's far from safe. maybe it's just of what we're used to in this day and age, but damn. the contrast of what it stands for already does so much. it's literally a counterpoint to what society wants of you. 

the point was to be subdued, introspective. do u know how annoying it is to have external forces, let alone chaos in ur mind from getting u to that point of self, un-manipulated, free state? overproduction would've diluted the emotion, her prime empathic conduit. regardless, it works bc simplicity is what it is. I feel like this record was her trying to have a conversation with shifting it back to how what some call boring, is actually peaceful. and we'd be so lucky to experience that honest solace. like, when ur really tired. ur just. tired.
even the most troubled souls can appreciate a sense of wholesomeness. some of the stuff on here's the closest she's gotten too so. 

really don't wanna reply but if anyone's gonna quote me, don't just pick. 

on topic, I feel it's a bit too soon for me to be guessing stuff, so i'm just gonna say I've been looking forward to what she's gonna follow hope up w next. 

UV/Honeymoon

Thank you, sweetie! You’re one of my fave members here :) I really enjoy reading your posts :)

You’re so smart, mature and thoughtful. I’m really excited to see what you’ll have to say about the new album <3

I'll do it for the right reasons

Withstanding all the time, changes and seasons

~?~

honestly, these days, it's dangerous to really be open and tender, especially without any ego protections. no pretenses

and at the end of the day, mounds or trenches, don't we all just want a quiet moment to ourselves w the people, environment we want with us at home (wherever/whoever that might be?)

when shit's going on, all around you in life, busy busy busy. this record's a great refuge. and it doesn't go all Big Bang on you, but it's the soft little moments of wonder and realizations that make it beautiful. the production really aids the storytelling. soft drones, guitars. psychedelia, it's great to really unwind. and she mentioned at the start how the album's more like islands of refuge to collect and protect u from future events, so it's more introspective in tone. for some, people go about running from themselves their whole lives, regardless of intelligence n awareness.

jeez if we were talking more danger, what's more dangerous than not being contented and grateful for ur life at someone's winter? I genuinely wonder if anyone'd be saying the same if we got info from the academy and what the critics were saying etc.

regardless, this record was necessary, and really, without it, I think Lana would've just burnt herself out further, and we'd get somethings less than truthful.

norman fucking rockwell, breaking down the ego

MAC, a song about being the bigger person

venice: overcoming ones' self and envisioning ur future

filly: feelings. admitting feelings for someone? that's FUCKING hard enough as it is. w life experience? still pretty difficult. if not moree.

DT: this one. it's like a reversion of herself for protection's sake imo

Love song: it is plain. but its stripped enough to capture the feeling of nostalgic love. once in a lifetime? surrendering. the taste the touch, the way we love. it all comes down to make the sound of our love song. quite literal, gets metaphoric, but also truer than true.

literally even says, "is it safe, to just be who we are?"

Cinnamon: touches on abuse. but also, growth from it.

HTD: another song about disappearing parallel'd w being selfless.

California: fuck its dangerous to be so fucking desperate, but she did it anyway.

TNBAR: love relapse imo.

TG: the realization and accepting that nothing's ever gonna be the same.

Bartender: contemplation of her peers where she questions if what she really wants is still what she even wants.

HiaB: cool down.

hope: alright, she's processed. she's gonna keep going.

definitely less outward than her past work, but solid enough, and even piercing norms/ shifting focus from the world outside, to the one already inside yourself.

did she guise it with self refs, and caricatures of herself? I call that stripping and being made new. do u know how difficult it is to just be conventional, when ur not? like fuck. especially w all the bravado and chest pumping and the emotions wheeled from those motives. it's actually quite a strength to be soft and flexible, that while keeping true to yourself. triiggoo. this album's far from safe. maybe it's just of what we're used to in this day and age, but damn. the contrast of what it stands for already does so much. it's literally a counterpoint to what society wants of you.

the point was to be subdued, introspective. do u know how annoying it is to have external forces, let alone chaos in ur mind from getting u to that point of self, un-manipulated, free state? overproduction would've diluted the emotion, her prime empathic conduit. regardless, it works bc simplicity is what it is. I feel like this record was her trying to have a conversation with shifting it back to how what some call boring, is actually peaceful. and we'd be so lucky to experience that honest solace. like, when ur really tired. ur just. tired.

even the most troubled souls can appreciate a sense of wholesomeness. some of the stuff on here's the closest she's gotten too so.

really don't wanna reply but if anyone's gonna quote me, don't just pick.

on topic, I feel it's a bit too soon for me to be guessing stuff, so i'm just gonna say I've been looking forward to what she's gonna follow hope up w next.

Wow’! Bravo! I love this!!! I love how you expressed the vulnerability of this album that I do feel from listening to it. Well written and thoughtful! And you show that being vulnerable was probably the objective of NFR.

They clearly are not listening. Most songs on NFR are lyrically intertwined as well for example MAC and Venice Bitch/Bartender and HIAB. In my opinion, it's her strongest lyrical album next to LFL and Honeymoon.

Ok chile are you ok babes? LFL one of her strongest?

You’re so smart, mature and thoughtful. I’m really excited to see what you’ll have to say about the new album <3

I can’t wait to hear what the new album is about. The whole pandemic situation hasn’t been easy for me on a couple of levels, and I’m curious to hear if I’ll find some of those emotions on that album.

I’m curious to read your thoughts on it as well :)

Wow’! Bravo! I love this!!! I love how you expressed the vulnerability of this album that I do feel from listening to it. Well written and thoughtful! And you show that being vulnerable was probably the objective of NFR.

so far, from listening yeah, and it's really important to just unravel sometimes, so u know which pieces to keep and leave. and isn't it great?? 

UV/Honeymoon

They clearly are not listening. Most songs on NFR are lyrically intertwined as well for example MAC and Venice Bitch/Bartender and HIAB. In my opinion, it's her strongest lyrical album next to LFL and Honeymoon.

honeymoon is my fav lana album but it's delusion to say it's her strongest lyrically 

stranger than a stranger  :oprah2: 

now it's time to eat soft ice cream

god knows i... x40

honeymoon is my fav lana album but it's delusion to say it's her strongest lyrically

stranger than a stranger :oprah2:

now it's time to eat soft ice cream

god knows i... x40

Did they just say that LFL was her strongest lyrically.. eye... the repetitive choruses...the in general incomplete stories...

Wait but do we know if Chem trails over the Country club is still coming? :(

We don’t have new info on that, except the codes on her website that were saying that we should be able to preorder COCC who knows when. Somewhere in August, maybe? The rest of July will probably be for Violet.

stranger than a stranger :oprah2:

now it's time to eat soft ice cream

god knows i... x40

BTD and Paradise don’t have any mis apps lyrically that I can recall. All of her other albums have some lines that aren’t perfect. But hey, you have your whole life to write your first album. Writing the other ones can be tricky.

NFR does have some of the stories that I love the most though. HM had some of her strongest lyrics (The Blackest Day, Terrence, MTWBT...) and some that are a bit weaker like you mentioned (same with LFL).

The Greatest is one of my top Lana songs and just the title of the new album gives me strong « The Greatest » vibes, so imagine how excited I am about it.