Elle

Chemtrails Over the Country Club - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Chemtrails Over the Country Club  

869 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Chemtrails Over the Country Club?

• White Dress
    • Chemtrails Over the Country Club
    • Tulsa Jesus Freak
    • Let Me Love You Like a Woman
    • Wild at Heart
    • Dark But Just a Game
    • Not All Who Wander Are Lost
    • Yosemite
    • Breaking Up Slowly
    • Dance Till We Die
    • For Free

1 minute ago, COCC said:

What were we expecting? Lmao

EDIT: also, I don't know if they only got this man to review albums but it's the same guy that reviewed Norman- who also gave it a 60 

ezgif-com-crop-1.gif

Whoever is bittersweet with this album.....

Relisten.Relisten.RELISTEN.REFUCKINGLISTEN.

i was one of those to quickly claim it as my favorite Lana album ever(no skips) and GOD THIS ALBUM IS A FUCKING DRUG ? I am so in love ? I can’t even claim a favorite song yet and it’s been more than a week every song creeps its way into you I am so glad this was released. I don’t even get the people calling it lazy especially with the Apple Digital Mastering this sounds EXQUISITE instrumentally.

My problem with the p4k review is that large parts of it could have been written just by knowing the title of the record and would have better served as think pieces about her post QFTC, post Annie Mac, etc. and not as part of an album review.

It's fine to say that Lana's public image has gone south or for the worse, or that you personally cannot 'stan' or condone her comments, actions anymore, and even for it to complicate the music because its hard to separate Art from Artist (and also worth asking if thats even an admirable goal in the first place!). I think those are totally valid responses to whats happened in the last year.

Its just that it makes the review and subsequent score sound like an arbitrary downgrade from NFR, not because of the music, but because its less easy to paint a 'next best american songwriter' narrative for her because she's more complicated now. It's not that Jack and Lana made some slip ups in the production, some of the lyrics could be better, some of the music isn't as good, etc. - Its just about the narrative, and while narrative driven reviews may be the most powerful and affirming to people (positive or negative), I really think they're lacking in substance when they are such a large part of the review. If I look back at the NFR review, besides it giving a score that fit the words, it also is just as much substantively about the music, and why the narrative *is palpable because of the musical elements* as it does talk a big game about what the album 'means', and its a much better review for it.

So you think Lana's a racist or misinformed or whatever. Let's accept that. How does that actually impact the music? This review doesnt do a good job of telling me this beyond 'it kind of makes it feel worse/less okay to root for her' vaguely. I actually DO think COCC is like a 7.5-8.2/10 range, and part of my own reasoning for that is narrative driven, but I could also tell you how it showcases on the album musically, and I'd much rather read a think piece or watch a round table discussion on Lana as an artist vs as a social media figure where they rake her over the coals than try to figure out what bits of what she's said had any quantifiable impact on how they viewed the record as a listener and reviewer :crossed:

Anyway, music criticism is so subjective it shouldn't matter in the first place so enjoy what you enjoy:party:

After the leak, the only ones that stood out to me were DBJAG, TJF and Yosemite. 

But now I also really love Wild At Heart, NATWWAL and even Dance Till We Die. 

I'm just so happy that I know for sure I like this album better than LFL and Norman. 

I think there's two sides to the fandom, where half think of her signature sound as the big grand production with strings (BTD, Paradise), and the other half believe her signature sound to be stripped and folky (this album and NFR, even some of AKA). I think this album helps me accept the folky sound as what she's always wanted a bit more. I may still think of the grand strings as associated with the name Lana Del Rey, but this is clearly where she wants to be. She's pretty much the only big singer (that I'm aware of) who has this sound, and she is always the best at what she does. That is good enough for me I think.