Elle

Triple single release: Blue Banisters, Text Book, & Wildflower Wildfire - OUT NOW

3 minutes ago, not all who wander r lost said:

The likes of Joni Mitchell, Janis Joplin, and St. Vincent just to name a few

This discussion is tired but Joni, Janis and St Vincent never put all of their friends on their album cover, in their mv's and in their lyrics. 

Again, it's not inherently wrong to do so, but I just don't think they need to permeate every aspect of her work. I don't think it adds to her work to put them in everything, and I think their inclusion would be more meaningful if they were included less frequently. 

That is all. 

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream

4 minutes ago, MrFameKills said:

So 2 songs out of 14 recent songs? You're being dramatic methinks

COCC, DTWD, BB + the COCC mv + COCC album cover (and probably more I've forgotten). 

You're oversimplifying methinks. 

ETA: LMLYLAW mv, too

1 minute ago, Rorman Nockwell said:

COCC, DTWD, BB + the COCC mv + COCC album cover (and probably more I've forgotten). 

You're oversimplifying methinks. 

And whom she name drops in COCC (song)? Interesting 

1 minute ago, Writer In The Dark said:

And whom she name drops in COCC (song)? Interesting 

You're right - just the mv. 

The point is: I think she's been doing it too much lately. 

2 minutes ago, cinnamongirI said:

kshnshjjd what’s the problem with her talking about her friends and putting them in her songs and stuff. it’s not that serious 

Well it certainly didn't need to go on for 3 pages whew

Won't be bringing that up again ... 

6 minutes ago, Rorman Nockwell said:

This discussion is tired but Joni, Janis and St Vincent never put all of their friends on their album cover, in their mv's and in their lyrics. 

Again, it's not inherently wrong to do so, but I just don't think they need to permeate every aspect of her work. I don't think it adds to her work to put them in everything, and I think their inclusion would be more meaningful if they were included less frequently. 

That is all. 

They're guilty of the same occasional namedrops as Lana - but if we're talking about visuals and all that then that's on her. 

You're just complaining about an artist that deeply appreciates her friends and family and tbh that's not something we see artists do all the time.

I understand the frustration but I think it's something to appreciate especially with an artist of her caliber 

10 hours ago, Rorman Nockwell said:

Mike hyped it up and said it was fire, and after it was released he admitted he went lowkey on it so "she could shine" (which is justifiable, but nothing about the production is fire imo)

Also why she got a hip hop/synth producer to just do some background department store piano chords is a mystery

yeah i fully agree i also expected something fire and hip-hop-ish. but the song’s still great and he obviously won’t promote it like “hey y’all so i made boring department store piano :) pls buy” like ofc he’s gonna hype it up more. and yes it’s definitely a mystery i mean jack could’ve done that too but maybe that means they kept the more fire production for different songs on the album or the next one. as i said before never forget that terrence loves you and the blackest day are on the same album, same for bel air and cola, video games and off to the races, old money and shades of cool, love song and cinnamon etc... so it’s still very possible that we’ll get the more bombastic stuff on the album or on the next single 

Gonna chime in, I feel Lana mentioning her friends all the time is a bit cringe tbh. I’m not all that interested in them but happy for her she has a great support base around. But Id rather she didn't  keep name dropping people we don’t care about.  ‘Lana writes for herself’ well why release the songs then? Lol just share them among her friends..so I don’t believe that. 

Arches are Illusions solid at first glance

She's mentioning her friends a lot because that is what this work is meant to represent for her.. she said she thinks of her friends when she thinks of COCC and in dtwd its about being good not to be alone.. its one of the focal points and themes of the records, that's why she's doing it , its not hard to understand

Appreciation post for @Rorman Nockwell and playing the devil's advocate because let's be honest , this thread would be boring if every single person kissed Lana's ass like their lives depend on it

tenor.gif

♡  standing stoic blue and denim, eyes not blue but clear like heaven 

9 hours ago, IanadeIrey said:

She’s owning the whole narrative that her artworks are “bad” by making that selfie the artwork. I don’t see how that’s different from Taylor Swift, for example, owning her reputation of being a “snake” and employing the snake as a symbol for her album. Yes, it’s not aesthetically pleasing compared to her other covers, but that is the whole point.

For anyone who’s struggling to reconcile the cover and her usual creative output, maybe frame it like this: Lana’s true genius is in her intent and artists provoke thought, even if it’s not conventionally appealing. She’s doing just that, which, to me, shows artistic growth/evolution (in a sense)! 

This would be childish

She could have chosen a hundred different ways to display the same ideas that are more aesthetically pleasing. A black cover with her name in gold and the quotation mark would be gorgeous.

Artistic vision doesn't equate a good artwork

2 minutes ago, Rorman Nockwell said:

?

She doesn't need the coins and has basically hidden the songs from the locals so make it make sense

she still released the songs tho.. therefore that’s her job. doesn’t matter if she’s making coin or not

2 minutes ago, SharktoothBlues said:

She's mentioning her friends a lot because that is what this work is meant to represent for her.. she said she thinks of her friends when she thinks of COCC and in dtwd its about being good not to be alone.. its one of the focal points and themes of the records, that's why she's doing it , its not hard to understand

Yes after an album cover, mv's and lyrical inclusions, I think we get it

Lana's strength has always been her escapsim and that is drowning in the swimming pool with Nikki Lane and Jen looking on

:runs:

5 minutes ago, cinnamongirI said:

it’s her job.. :toofunny:

Nothing states she has to release any song recorded…we know that judging from the hundreds of demos. It’s fine she’s named checked them one or twice, but if it continues especially with this Nikki Lane obsession…it’s gonna get more and more cringe…we get it Lana you have friends and are not racist.  

I don't mind the name dropping but I kinda hate how she felt the need to mention Nikki Lane by her full name, that was so weird to me like just say Nikki why make it so direct sdfjh. The COCC cover is awful obvs but her friends were serving in the vid and it fit the context of the song so I don't really mind her involving her friends in her art since it's mostly about her life & they're a big part of her life.  As long as it's done well and isn't just awful and offensive like the COCC cover.

qfrWuBl.png

4 minutes ago, cinnamongirI said:

she still released the songs tho.. therefore that’s her job. doesn’t matter if she’s making coin or not

I mean I agree, and it's a whole other discussion but it's as if she didn't really want to release them

1 minute ago, TrashMagiq said:

I don't mind the name dropping but I kinda hate how she felt the need to mention Nikki Lane by her full name, that was so weird to me like just say Nikki why make it so direct sdfjh. The COCC cover is awful obvs but her friends were serving in the vid and it fit the context of the song so I don't really mind her involving her friends in her art cause it's mostly about her life , as long as it's done well and isn't just awful and offensive like the COCC cover.

The album cover is gonna be her, Chuck, Nikki and the rest of her friends painting banisters I just know it.

2 minutes ago, TrashMagiq said:

I don't mind the name dropping but I kinda hate how she felt the need to mention Nikki Lane by her full name, that was so weird to me like just say Nikki why make it so direct sdfjh. The COCC cover is awful obvs but her friends were serving in the vid and it fit the context of the song so I don't really mind her involving her friends in her art since it's mostly about her life & they're a big part of her life.  As long as it's done well and isn't just awful and offensive like the COCC cover.

Cos nobody would know who "Nikki" was and the purpose was probably to name drop her in the truest sense of the word 

But noooo everyone thinks Lana is above cheapening her work and mentioning someone in a song for that person's benefit

I'm logging off because this post will definitely cause a fight

:bye2: