Elle

Triple single release: Blue Banisters, Text Book, & Wildflower Wildfire - OUT NOW

1 hour ago, Rorman Nockwell said:

Name another singer/songwriter who name drops friends and family as prolifically?

Like what does the name dropping add to Blue Banisters other than to make it like a personal diary entry? 

Who cares if Chunk is baking a damn cake; that line (for example) adds nothing to the song and it's not exactly a showcase of spectacular lyricism. 

It adds a lot to the song. It adds to the imagery, it makes it easier to imagine the scene, to put ourselves in her shoes, it makes it more lively. It also makes it more emotional; Lana wants us to be able to know how she felt in that moment.

If the line had been “someone’s making birthday cake”, it wouldn’t have felt as powerful. Chuck is not just “someone”. She’s very dear to Lana, she’s one of the people she’s closest to. Same for “Jenny jumped into the pool / She was swimming with Nikki Lane”. It’s not just “My friend jumped into the pool / She was swimming with another girl”. She name drops them because they’re important people to her and they’re part of the scene. They are the people who help Lana with her mental health. So yes, technically, we don’t care about Chuck baking something, but describing a scene with such little details that may seem useless at first glance is actually an excellent songwriting technique that helps us understand how Lana heals. The smell of a cake, seeing friends having fun in the pool... these things make Lana happy. The whole song is about how she got better after experiencing something painful. Sometimes, the simplest of words have a way deeper meaning for the writer than you can imagine.

edit: sorry for the change in size, idk why it happens

I'll do it for the right reasons

Withstanding all the time, changes and seasons

~?~

1 minute ago, cinnamongirI said:

lana stans when lana mentions her friends in her songs and promotes smaller artists who could really use the boost

I'm not objecting to her supporting smaller artists; I think it's really rad

But there is a time and place

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream

I’ve never a seen a discussion thread about a singer writing too much about her life experiences with the people she surrounds herself with

she literally says she’s telling HER story, which includes her friends and family? But that makes it hollow and “reduces” the song

hsjsdbjsndnnsndnndkkxkfksoad your brain is doing jumping jacks, only on Lanaboards, fun to read tho 

IM STRONGER THANgiphy.gifALL MY MEN...

3 minutes ago, cinnamongirI said:

lana stans when lana mentions her friends in her songs and promotes smaller artists who could really use the boost

Would be funny if she was less subtle, ‘I love playing the blues buy Nicki Lanes album on Itunes, 5.95 you can’t argue with that price’. 

Arches are Illusions solid at first glance

12 minutes ago, Rorman Nockwell said:

Cos nobody would know who "Nikki" was and the purpose was probably to name drop her in the truest sense of the word 

But noooo everyone thinks Lana is above cheapening her work and mentioning someone in a song for that person's benefit

I'm logging off because this post will definitely cause a fight

:bye2:

ngl it does feel like some product placement comapred to Jenny, Chucky, Jake, etc. :rip:

edit: crackhead conspiracy theory: for Lana to get BUS, she had to give Nikki some coins + a moment to shine and this is it :monicker:

DYJRPfi.gif c5dd836305cb85b3253fce96ae00741c547fd6fd.gif SH8DzJM.gif
???????, ??? ??? ?? ?? ???? ?????

1 minute ago, whitelungswhitepalms said:

I’ve never a seen a discussion thread about a singer writing too much about her life experiences with the people she surrounds herself with

That's not the crux of the argument but okay. 

Honestly some of you are so damn sensitive to any Lana criticism. As far as I'm concerned, Rorman is being pretty respectful in their opinions. Not everyone has to like what Lana does. Sorry if you can't handle that but for the love of God, grow some thicker skin. Expecting everyone to love every single aspect of her songs but shunning people for going against the grain is fucking cult-like behaviour 

:wtf3:

♡  standing stoic blue and denim, eyes not blue but clear like heaven 

1 minute ago, Bunny Mozart said:

Honestly some of you are so damn sensitive to any Lana criticism. As far as I'm concerned, Rorman is being pretty respectful in their opinions. Not everyone has to like what Lana does. Sorry if you can't handle that but for the love of God, grow some thicker skin. At the end of the day,

Nah we’re just discussing the criticism of a song ona

a discussion forum, it’s all fun and games we all have different experiences with her music

IM STRONGER THANgiphy.gifALL MY MEN...

9 minutes ago, whitelungswhitepalms said:

she literally says she’s telling HER story, which includes her friends and family? But that makes it hollow and “reduces” the song

hsjsdbjsndnnsndnndkkxkfksoad your brain is doing jumping jacks, only on Lanaboards, fun to read tho 

I write songs and posted them on a forum sometimes and there is some dick head she was always like this won't connect with the majority of people and you need to think about what the voice of the song is trying to say and I'm like I am the voice you old fossil go fuck yourself

Doesn't she mention Nikki Lane in full because it rhymes with the next line 'i wish that it would rain'?... I didn't want to have to overthink Lana mentioning people by name in her storytelling but here we are on page 799 i guess :headache:

10 minutes ago, SharktoothBlues said:

I write songs and posted them on a forum sometimes and there is some dick head she was always like this won't connect with the majority of people and you need to think about what the voice of the song is trying to say and I'm like I am the voice you old fossil go fuck yourself

Okay :headache:

Hey guys, are there any news or are you all just fighting over something again? lol

꧁ღ⊱♥ i lost my reputation, i forgot my truth, but i have my beauty and i have my youth ♥⊱ღ꧂

BRILLIANT.gif

2 minutes ago, honeymo0n said:

Hey guys, are there any news or are you all just fighting over something again? lol

Fighting :bitchfight:

55 minutes ago, Rorman Nockwell said:

?

She doesn't need the coins and has basically hidden the songs from the locals so make it make sense

also sorry to chime in, pls nobody get mad at me.

but im thinking she mostly hid the songs from the locals so that her core fanbase would mostly be the ones listening. Shes probably hoping we already know of the ppl shes namedropping. So shes also probably hoping that we care about them because they are important to her and she cares about them.

if that makes any sense. but ofc everyone is free to like/dislike whatever they want.

Lana has ALWAYS name dropped in almost all of her older songs, just because you guys don't know who were she talking about, it doesn't mean they weren't real people, so I don't really see why does it bother you now? :toofunny:

I mean, I personally think it's corny, and I never liked it, but it's not like Lana started doing this in the recent songs? I'm used to it by now :toofloppy:

My rose garden dreams set on fire by fiends... :illumilana2: 

2 minutes ago, kenney said:

also sorry to chime in, pls nobody get mad at me.

but im thinking she mostly hid the songs from the locals so that her core fanbase would mostly be the ones listening. Shes probably hoping we already know of the ppl shes namedropping. So shes also probably hoping that we care about them because they are important to her and she cares about them.

if that makes any sense. but ofc everyone is free to like/dislike whatever they want.

I like this idea

5 minutes ago, Rorman Nockwell said:

No we just had a lively discussion and that's final 

:smile3:

At least it's not the Marina thread :eek3: