Fluorine

Songs & Musicians Similar to Lana Recommendations Thread

3 hours ago, Embach said:

This song is a copy-paste of every Born To Die album melodies and beats. Well it's obvious because Emile Haynie produced it. It even samples Lana's breaths from Burning Desire, you can hear them quietly in the background somewhere at the beginning.

Have you ever listened to Ceremonials? It came out a year before Born To Die and is probably my top 5 favourite albums of all time. You can hear similar melodies to this particular song throughout the whole record, especially in No Light, No Light, Only if For a Night, Spectrum. The band has always had the most stunning melodies. However, I do agree that the production is very BTD.

1 minute ago, rural legend said:

Have you ever listened to Ceremonials? It came out a year before Born To Die and is probably my top 5 favourite albums of all time. You can hear similar melodies to this particular song throughout the whole record, especially in No Light, No Light, Only if For a Night, Spectrum. The band has always had the most stunning melodies. However, I do agree that the production is very BTD.

F+TM is my favorite band actually :mj: but yes, Ceremonials was the band's BTD era, Lana and Florence basically reinvented baroque pop in the early 2010s with all the sassy orchestras with deep guitars and beats. Especially Spectrum which dominated the charts in Europe, which also had like million dance remixes like Summertime Sadness. What The Water Gave Me and Strangeness & Charm are my favorites from the album though :wub:

url%5D

7 minutes ago, Embach said:

F+TM is my favorite band actually :mj: but yes, Ceremonials was the band's BTD era, Lana and Florence basically reinvented baroque pop in the early 2010s with all the sassy orchestras with deep guitars and beats. Especially Spectrum which dominated the charts in Europe, which also had like million dance remixes like Summertime Sadness. What The Water Gave Me and Strangeness & Charm are my favorites from the album though :wub:

They are my favourite band too! That is why I thought maybe you weren't familiar with them because Florence is the original 'sad girl' for me. Gorgeous melodies, orchestral production (mostly on Ceremonials), great drums etc. They both have very similar sensitivities when it comes to songwriting but the way they phrase things and arrange the music around them are very different. 

EDIT: btw I never connected that the whispers in the background of Over The Love are from Burning Desire but I hear it now! This is such a nice homage to Lana.

Just now, rural legend said:

They are my favourite band too! That is why I thought maybe you weren't familiar with them because Florence is the original 'sad girl' for me. Gorgeous melodies, orchestral production (mostly on Ceremonials), great drums etc. They both have very similar sensitivities when it comes to songwriting but the way they phrase things and arrange the music around them are very different. 

They're the gods of today's alternative music 🛐

url%5D

Sylvie Kreusch has some songs that sound very Lana-esque, especially "Wild Love" and "Shangri-La"

It's the kind of energy that HM demos/ LFL outtakes had.

Widowspeak's "True Blue" has a slight Lizzy Grant/ May Jailer vibe.

"American Darkness" by Chelsea Wolfe feels like something Lana could have done more recently.

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

On 6/18/2023 at 2:57 AM, YourGirl666 said:

Fingertips legit became one of my favorite songs of all time and I'm starving for more songs like it. Sally's Song from TNBC soundtrack sounds very similar. I'm looking for slow orchestral mainly tracks with not too low pitched vocals, ethereal operatic quality and also that feel a little loose in structure. Anything, I'm dying to hear more like this.

Weyes Blood "God Turn Me Into A Flower".

Also check out Wendy McNeill's record "First There Were Feathers" or "Floating Into The Night" by Julee Cruise

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

15 hours ago, Thunder Revenant said:

Weyes Blood "God Turn Me Into A Flower".

"Floating Into The Night" by Julee Cruise

I already love these! Gonna check the other one

I remember someone said that 13 Beaches sounds like Hans Zimmer's Time and I listened to it then and they're actually very alike. You can actually sing 13 Beaches over it :hdu: it's probably because of Dan Heath's influence, he did the orchestra for 13 Beaches and he has previously worked with Hans Zimmer!

Also Your Girl really reminds me of Portishead's Glory Box, especially when the bluesy jazzy strings appear:

Nostalghia's Be My Man and Weyes Blood's Mirror Forever, in my opinion, are kinda similar melodically to Ultraviolence the title track:

url%5D

Lana's Nectar Of The Gods is quite identical to Lykke Li's I Know Places. Especially the guitar and the humming towards the end.

url%5D

Sullen Girl by Fiona Apple sounds like it could be from Ocean Blvd.

Also I have one playlist where I put Dealer between There'd Better Be a Mirrorball and Body Paint by Arctic Monkeys and it sounds so fucking good together. Same with Let The Light In and Buddy's Randevouse.

On 8/24/2023 at 2:11 PM, Embach said:

I remember someone said that 13 Beaches sounds like Hans Zimmer's Time and I listened to it then and they're actually very alike. You can actually sing 13 Beaches over it :hdu: it's probably because of Dan Heath's influence, he did the orchestra for 13 Beaches and he has previously worked with Hans Zimmer!

Wow. This is pretty intense. I haven’t listened to that soundtrack in a while. Just gave it a go and I absolutely hear the similarities.

That movie and the soundtrack always hit me hard. I consider it my favorite movie. Now I will always think of Lana when I hear that track. 

C9-EB944-D-53-AE-42-A7-A3-CE-EF6-DA48879

Hear me out on this one:

When listening to The Grants, I kept saying to myself, parts of this remind me of something. 

Lana’s spoken verses, especially the opening, sound a lot like the beginning of The Final Cut by Pink Floyd. The progression, tone and even down to the piano in the background. 

The song ramps up and the chorus diverges, BUT, some of the visuals in the music video gave me flashbacks to snippets from Lana edits, like the TLY post from last night. I’d even go as far as to say I can see this fitting in with some of the other elements of Honeymoon, such as the darkness of The Blackest Day. A few of the lyrics cast distant shadows on Lana nostalgia. 

Finally, I’d say the following lyrics could *almost* be something I could see Lana reciting:

And if I show you my dark side
Will you still hold me tonight?
And if I open my heart to you
And show you my weak side
What would you do?
Would you sell your story to Rolling Stone?

C9-EB944-D-53-AE-42-A7-A3-CE-EF6-DA48879

4 hours ago, Quincy said:

Hear me out on this one:

When listening to The Grants, I kept saying to myself, parts of this remind me of something. 

Lana’s spoken verses, especially the opening, sound a lot like the beginning of The Final Cut by Pink Floyd. The progression, tone and even down to the piano in the background. 

The song ramps up and the chorus diverges, BUT, some of the visuals in the music video gave me flashbacks to snippets from Lana edits, like the TLY post from last night. I’d even go as far as to say I can see this fitting in with some of the other elements of Honeymoon, such as the darkness of The Blackest Day. A few of the lyrics cast distant shadows on Lana nostalgia. 

Finally, I’d say the following lyrics could *almost* be something I could see Lana reciting:

And if I show you my dark side
Will you still hold me tonight?
And if I open my heart to you
And show you my weak side
What would you do?
Would you sell your story to Rolling Stone?

holy shit thats why it felt so familiar 

If you love the sound of the "so-called" Lust For Life original concept then you would love Princess Chelsea's album The Great Cybernetic Depression, I think. Because the themes and vibes are very similar - cosmic and witchy with touches of ambient, electronic music, folk, synth-rock/pop. I mean even Lana sampled a song from that album for Heroin:legend:

url%5D

Lizzy Grant is so unique and one of a kind so there's not really similsr music to hers. However there are quite few songs that resemble Lizzy vibes :flutter::

Florence + The Machine - Call Me Cruella: it little bit reminds me some of AKA songs like Raise Me Up.

Jessie Ware - Selfish Love: I don't know why and how but it kinda reminds me of Kill Kill, but maybe I'm deaf lol.

Soho Dolls band have kind of a Lizzy Grant/Lana's Britney Spears inspired glam-synth-electro-pop-rock era in 2010 element in their songs and in fact their music is actually from the late 2000s like Lizzy's. In my opinion, Lizzy collaborating with them would have been perfect then, here's their most popular song Bang Bang Bang Bang:

url%5D

if lana was a country singer…

we’re gonna party like it’s 1949

⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀  ⠀          ⠀     :¨ ·.· ¨:

⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀   ⠀                  `· . ꔫ