Surf Noir

Unpopular Music Opinions

a lot of people say that "into dust" is a very sad song, but i personally don't think it's sad at all, obviously we all interpret music in our own ways, but to me, into dust is peaceful, yet eerie, if anything, but i love that song, it really is one of their best songs

on that note, i don't interpret "fade into you" as sad either, it does feel melancholic, but i feel like there's a difference between something being sad and melancholic, oh say can you see is melancholic, but it's certainly not sad, fade into you sounds like a happy, sunny, summer day to me, but lyrically, i can see how people find it to be sad

some mazzy star songs that i feel like are more outwardly "sad" to me are "before i sleep" and "sparrow", before i sleep makes me feel quite nostalgic, nostalgic in the way that disrupts your soul a little bit, because it reminds you of distant memories of younger, simpler days, that you know you can't ever go back to, but you're going to try so hard to grasp it inside of your soul, sparrow is a melancholic track, it's pretty, mellow, and gentle, so i guess it tugs at your heartstrings a little more

WGe8ynS.gif

12 hours ago, burthday kake said:

Jeff Buckley's Hallelujah will never be what Cohen's is, ppl need to stop acting like it is.

he's gotta pretty boy voice but Cohen's adds the much needed roughness & soul to the song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrLk4vdY28Q

John Cale's is the perfect mix of the two (the experience and roughness of Lennie with the arrangement that JB copied).

i like John Lennon 

&his song Imagine too. some celebrities repurposed it & made it cringe during COVID but on it's own, it's cute....if u don't like beautiful piano melodies & a call for unity of the human race then ok fuck u too

Maybe the least controversial 'unpopular opinion' ever, but sure. Imagine's not in my top 30 solo Lennon songs, but it's not bad.

Phil Spector spilled with Don't Go Home With Your Hard-On's production

still hate the prick tho 

Now here is something unpopular - to single out that record, and in particular that song, as Spector's prime. I don't know if I agree, but your second point is indisputable.

Bob Dylan may not have a traditionally great voice, but he is a fantastic singer. fight me

He has his high points and his low points. For me, almost everything he did between the mid 70s and mid 90s  is great, passionate singing. The lesser known live album 'Hard Rain' is a classic of the hard edged singer songwriter genre.

Banisters & Chem are her two strongest albums to date 

I'm not not in agreement with you here.

Morphine is a better 90s band than Nirvana 

When they came out, they were considered a novelty band, because people in the 90s were dumb. (If you don't believe, check out the popular sitcoms from then). They've held up incredibly well, but not as well as Nirvana imo.

tumblr_ou8g76nUPp1ts8ukho1_250.png

Idk if this has been previously mentioned but I’m just not buying into the hype the band Wet Leg are getting atm. 

Their songs two biggest songs are catchy - but the catchiest parts are mostly references and I just feel like it’s not original for example 

Wet Dream - “here we go here we go here we go” is a really common chant in the UK - to the point I don’t even know it’s origins but I know the appropriate times to use it and it’s used widely 

Chaise Longue - “is your muffin buttered” Mean Girls 

Even when they won their Brit Award they quoted Alex Turner’s acceptance speech. 

It all just feels very recycled and unoriginal. 

No real hate to them tho, they’ve had massive success so fair play in that respect (with some thanks to TikTok) . But I just don’t get the hype and I won’t be trying to either. 

Also I’m not saying people can’t make references or quote things directly in music it’s just feels lazy from their pov especially as this is their debut and these are their biggest tracks 

#freetoedit #lana#lanadelrey#honeymoon

Bob Dylan is an awful singer with very mid songwriting- I think it’s great people relate to his work and obviously is successful for a reason so props to him, but there’s nothing on his records that has stood the test of time in terms of unique songwriting ability nor can I name one song directly. 
This is obviously subjective and I mean no hate to him personally obv.

Blowing in the wind is a classic I will say though.

Perhaps I should dig more into his discog?

22 hours ago, West Coast said:

The new Flower song by Miley is one of the most boring, most tepid commercial song I have heard in years. The fact that this song is breaking charts and streaming records is insane.

really i swear i've heard this exact song years ago. guess it's the message that people are going wild for but it's really bland sounding 

violets in your eyes

1 hour ago, longtimeman said:

John Cale's is the perfect mix of the two (the experience and roughness of Lennie with the arrangement that JB copied).

interesting, will check it out asap - thank you!

edit: Cohen's still reigns supreme to me i'm so sorry, the chokehold shdfdjgdf #cohentruther4lyfe

Maybe the least controversial 'unpopular opinion' ever, but sure. Imagine's not in my top 30 solo Lennon songs, but it's not bad.

I think it has become slightly controversial these days to like him as a person/figure tbh, people are very sensitive

as for Imagine, I don't know where it would land exactly in my ranking but yes I appreciate it! 

Now here is something unpopular - to single out that record, and in particular that song, as Spector's prime. I don't know if I agree, but your second point is indisputable.

I wasn't trying to say it was Spector's best work by any means- baha I'd have to think on that one & still dig into a handful of albums before drawing a conclusion like that, but I won't lie I really can get down to Ladies Man & I don't think it deserves it's bad rep!

He has his high points and his low points. For me, almost everything he did between the mid 70s and mid 90s  is great, passionate singing. The lesser known live album 'Hard Rain' is a classic of the hard edged singer songwriter genre.

100%!

Hard Rain is nice. I do listen to that other Rolling Thunder Revue live album (1975) a lot more often tho - Sampler or whatever it's called

I'm not not in agreement with you here.

:smile2: 

When they came out, they were considered a novelty band, because people in the 90s were dumb. (If you don't believe, check out the popular sitcoms from then). They've held up incredibly well, but not as well as Nirvana imo.

as in people didn't take them serious?!? that's a drag .... I really love Morphine, we're just gonna have to agree to disagree here!

but thanks for taking the time to read n reply n share your thoughts ! i feel kinda like I'm just posting straight into the void here a lot of the time but interactions are always nice! 

49 minutes ago, evalionisameme said:

Bob Dylan is an awful singer with very mid songwriting- I think it’s great people relate to his work and obviously is successful for a reason so props to him, but there’s nothing on his records that has stood the test of time in terms of unique songwriting ability nor can I name one song directly. 

damn, that's an opinion :air: i've heard people say they hate his voice, it's fair, it's somewhat an acquired taste but i've never heard someone insult his songwriting lmaooo

hard disagree obviously but to each his own.. how many/which songs have you heard by him? if you're genuinely interested in giving him another shot (on the songwriting front) a few I wld rec off the top of my head: Sad Eyed Lady Of The Lowlands, My Back Pages, Sara, Hurricane, Tangled Up In Blue, Simple Twist Of Fate, Positively 4th Street, Desolation Row

21 minutes ago, evalionisameme said:

I'm no Dylan fanatic, and am a strong believer that not everything is (or should be) for everybody,  but to get a better idea of him, check this out. You might still hate it, but at least you're judging him on his strongest music.

most popular 80s music is overrated, it all sounds similar and just repeats and repeats, then again i’m not a fan of synth so that could just be it :uh:

9c2f159f3783d5d514e1aebcfad2d2ff.jpg

you're in the wind, i'm in the water, nobody's son, nobody's daughter... ౨ৎ·゚:*

1 hour ago, burthday kake said:

interesting, will check it out asap - thank you!

edit: Cohen's still reigns supreme to me i'm so sorry, the chokehold shdfdjgdf #cohentruther4lyfe

You know what, I thought about this some more, and I think I'm biased from hearing Cale sing it in concert. It is a very specific song when it's sung from a Jewish perspective, and that's why I hate both Christians who have turned it into an evangelical song, but also hipsters who say that it's just about a guy trying to get laid. Both of them are way wide of the mark. I'm more of a Songs of Love and Hate fan than anything (although that early 70s 'Live' album is also incredible).

I think it has become slightly controversial these days to like him as a person/figure tbh, people are very sensitive

as for Imagine, I don't know where it would land exactly in my ranking but yes I appreciate it! 

The GP really can't handle categorising someone as either a saint or the literal devil, can they.

I wasn't trying to say it was Spector's best work by any means- baha I'd have to think on that one & still dig into a handful of albums before drawing a conclusion like that, but I won't lie I really can get down to Ladies Man & I don't think it deserves it's bad rep!

It's so hard to separate Spector the artist from Spector the scumbag, mostly because he was a known scumbag even when he was being an artist. The Ramones hired him to produce because they loved his 60s girl group songs, and ended up having to live with a lunatic who pointed a gun at them. He should have been locked up decades before he eventually

as in people didn't take them serious?!? that's a drag .... I really love Morphine, we're just gonna have to agree to disagree here!

It was purely down to them not having a (regular) guitar. All anyone talked about was their lineup and how 'novel' it was, rather than how great the songs were. I don't remember any respectful mainstream coverage of them at the time - only maybe when Mark passed away.

but thanks for taking the time to read n reply n share your thoughts ! i feel kinda like I'm just posting straight into the void here a lot of the time but interactions are always nice! 

It's fun! I was discovering most of these artists in my late teens/twenties, and don't always think about them as often as I should (although without exaggerating, Leonard Cohen songs come into my head at least once every single day).

Femme Fatale is not only a guilty pleasure pop album for me, I also think it's a top three record from Britney's catalog

Trouble for Me, Till the World Ends, Hold it Against Me, GASOLINE, I Wanna Go, Inside Out >>>>>

tumblr_pne98wa26x1wk694yo1_500.gifv

"You can't be a muse and be happy, too.

You can't blacken the pages with Russian poetry and be happy." - Blue Banisters

I asked Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating. 

6 hours ago, babetteateoatmeal said:

really i swear i've heard this exact song years ago. guess it's the message that people are going wild for but it's really bland sounding 

You have - Bruno Mars ‘When I was Your Man’. I never listen to Flowers but occasionally it will be in my head from TikTok and I don’t know the words because I don’t listen to it, so right after the “I can buy myself flowerrrrrrs” I hear the Bruno song. Apparently she got his blessing on doing a response song, but the question should have been should she make it, not can she. :air: 
it’s obviously been a hit though so what do I know. (And I’m salty because I want SZA to get a #1):crai:

topsters2-2-1.png

It's a beautiful life, remember that too, for me.

22 minutes ago, sadness is a butterfly said:

You have - Bruno Mars ‘When I was Your Man’. I never listen to Flowers but occasionally it will be in my head from TikTok and I don’t know the words because I don’t listen to it, so right after the “I can buy myself flowerrrrrrs” I hear the Bruno song. Apparently she got his blessing on doing a response song, but the question should have been should she make it, not can she. :air: 
it’s obviously been a hit though so what do I know. (And I’m salty because I want SZA to get a #1):crai:

that's it! thank u for solving that for me because it was kinda driving me nuts lol

also same about sza for #1 :kum:

violets in your eyes

8 hours ago, longtimeman said:

You know what, I thought about this some more, and I think I'm biased from hearing Cale sing it in concert. It is a very specific song when it's sung from a Jewish perspective, and that's why I hate both Christians who have turned it into an evangelical song, but also hipsters who say that it's just about a guy trying to get laid. Both of them are way wide of the mark. I'm more of a Songs of Love and Hate fan than anything (although that early 70s 'Live' album is also incredible).

ooh you saw it live? nice, that's a great shout anyway! 100% agree tho.

Songs of Love&Hate is wonderful of course, a little darker

The GP really can't handle categorising someone as either a saint or the literal devil, can they.

so it goes:eyeroll2:

It's so hard to separate Spector the artist from Spector the scumbag, mostly because he was a known scumbag even when he was being an artist. The Ramones hired him to produce because they loved his 60s girl group songs, and ended up having to live with a lunatic who pointed a gun at them. He should have been locked up decades before he eventually

for sure. I read that the same thing happened w Cohen- you know he basically told Phil he wanted a Leonard Cohen record, not a Phil Spector record (production wise) then Phil threw & locked him in a closet n finished off the album how he wanted & sent it off. 

he pulled a gun on him too n said "you know I love you Leonard" to which Leonard replied "I hope you do Phil" - while the story itself isn't cool I always thought that reply was a testament to how cool Leonard always was, what a guy. it cracks me up a bit

I think I read that Phil died in jail tho, so at least there's that you know, he got what was long coming to him

a damn shame:crying4:

It's fun! I was discovering most of these artists in my late teens/twenties, and don't always think about them as often as I should (although without exaggerating, Leonard Cohen songs come into my head at least once every single day).

that's pretty much me rn- there is so much great stuff out there n I'm totally obsessed looool. & I cannot blame you over that, he leaves a mark!!

I have beef with duets on studio recordings. Unless they're done "right" - which they often aren't - they would be better without the feature imo. 

It works live when you can see the interaction/chemistry between the artists, but on records it just feels incohesive most of the time

Lana has a loot of exceptions to this tho, ex Beautiful People, Summer Wine, Riverside, all of her work with A$AP, to mention some

but songs like Breaking Up Slowly and Tomorrow Never Came would have been way better with only Lana :um3:

tumblr-n02pmk-XHSH1rcgcl7o6-250.gif

11 hours ago, burthday kake said:

damn, that's an opinion :air: i've heard people say they hate his voice, it's fair, it's somewhat an acquired taste but i've never heard someone insult his songwriting lmaooo

hard disagree obviously but to each his own.. how many/which songs have you heard by him? if you're genuinely interested in giving him another shot (on the songwriting front) a few I wld rec off the top of my head: Sad Eyed Lady Of The Lowlands, My Back Pages, Sara, Hurricane, Tangled Up In Blue, Simple Twist Of Fate, Positively 4th Street, Desolation Row

I was just really disappointed when I heard rolling stone, especially when it was ranked one of the greatest lyrical songs of all time- his writing doesn’t seem bad to me obviously but there’s nothing there that adds that personal touch- I get generalised songs were a thing from that era specifically but listening to something like Chelsea hotel feels a lot more powerful to me. 

I’ll check out the recommendations!

22 minutes ago, evalionisameme said:

I was just really disappointed when I heard rolling stone, especially when it was ranked one of the greatest lyrical songs of all time- his writing doesn’t seem bad to me obviously but there’s nothing there that adds that personal touch- I get generalised songs were a thing from that era specifically but listening to something like Chelsea hotel feels a lot more powerful to me. 

I’ll check out the recommendations!

nah that's fair & understandable!

if it's a personal touch you want 10000% Sara, written about/during his divorce w former wife Sara, his most personal ever imo - Tangled Up On Blue also touches on their situation I think. Sad-Eyed Lady is about her too, before everything went downhill but it's more just poetic metaphor after metaphor, rhyme after rhyme & hard to understand. I don't even fully get it but I do love it, however you may not get as much out of it as the other two based on what you told me about what you prefer lyrically.

Positively 4th Street is pretty heated, it sounds like someone pissed him off :smile2: so that's personal in a sense. We've all been there

& My Back Pages is a great reflection/coming into wisdom track imo "I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now"

You can probably skip over Hurricane & Desolation Row

35 minutes ago, Luna de miel said:

but songs like Breaking Up Slowly and Tomorrow Never Came would have been way better with only Lana :um3:

don't disagree with BUS but :trisha: omg I love Sean's contribution on TNC, I find his voice to be very peaceful which works perfectly for the track imo :crying4: & since the title is seemingly a play on The Beatles' Tomorrow Never Knows & there's that bit about listening to Yoko n John in the bridge, it's cool Lana got their son on there