Surf Noir

Unpopular Music Opinions

Rhymes in music are so unnecesssary imo, they feel forced and make songs predictable. And remind me of elemantary school poems. Rhymes fit in rap songs better to help w the flow.

Also I never really considered Marina Diamandis and Lorde alternative or indie pop (I love them btw this is not a hate post). Only maybe The Family Jewels from Marina's and of course Solar Power is like the only album from Lorde I'd consider alternative/indie. Pure Heroine is electronic music w hip hop influence and Melodrama is just pop/electropop and there's nothing wrong with it, it's one of my top favorites. I'd consider Marina and Lorde more electronic pop or dark pop but there seems to be a consensus in the music world that dark pop = alternative/indie but actually dark pop ≠ alt/indie music.

Also I love love Lorde and her lyrics but I don't really find her lyrics (from Pure Heroine/Melodrama era) revolutionary they're just great lyrics from a teen's pov, but not revolutionary. Many people like considered her lyrics revolutionary. I think we should drop the idea that young people can't write lyrics - they can write great lyrics, they were just overshadowed by the "crappier" ones the media pushed to people, so they could hate those and start "worrying" about younger generation. Idk if I really worded it great but idc since I wrote it really fast.

Also can mods pin this thread in the music topic, I had to dig the whole forum up to find this thread. (Also can the mods pin the Unpopular World Opinions thread too).

url%5D

i don't think i'll ever understand the appeal of sped-up and slowed songs :whatever2:

꧁ღ⊱♥ i lost my reputation, i forgot my truth, but i have my beauty and i have my youth ♥⊱ღ꧂

BRILLIANT.gif

People who classify specific types of music as inferior are pretentious and punchable. There's just as much effort and creativity involved in making a dance bop as it is to make a piano ballad. I always roll my eyes whenever I see people who comment on music tastes pointing out how they should have "outgrown" it by now. 

I like how honest Doja is about not caring about her fans. Is it a great marketing strategy? Hell no. But still, I prefer someone like her who is honest and tells her obsessed stans to get off the internet than someone like Taylor Swift who pretends to love each and every single one of her fans just to sell more merch and to chart

FUGjsXqWAAAhpYH?format=jpg&name=900x900

2 hours ago, Inferno Euphoria said:

I like how honest Doja is about not caring about her fans. Is it a great marketing strategy? Hell no. But still, I prefer someone like her who is honest and tells her obsessed stans to get off the internet than someone like Taylor Swift who pretends to love each and every single one of her fans just to sell more merch and to chart

i honestly know very little about any of the doja cat stuff going on right now, but i don't think it's weird or that bad for her to say that she doesn't necessarily love her fans, or to reject the obsessive stan mentality, i feel like one could love their fans as a collective, since they like your art and support you by showing up for concerts, and buying merch/music, but you can't love individual people that you don't know at all just because they like your music

WGe8ynS.gif

3 minutes ago, Surf Noir said:

i feel like people severely over-use that word and now it doesn't really mean anything anymore

like, 85% of the time it isn't campy, it's just bad or cringy

Same with "raw" and "emotional" honestly

url%5D

3 minutes ago, Surf Noir said:

i feel like people severely over-use that word and now it doesn't really mean anything anymore

like, 85% of the time it isn't campy, it's just bad or cringy

if you look at Susan Sontag’s “Notes on Camp”, she favours “Naive Camp” over “Deliberate Camp”—meaning that things that dont necessarily try to be campy, but end up being so, are more satisfying. (For example, Faye Dunaway’s Mommie Dearest; or the very meta Karlie Kloss’s “looking camp right in the eye” tweet). 

⊹ (:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅[̲̅:♡:]̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅) ⊹ 

𓊔 I took the miracle move on drug 𓊔

⚕️ The effects were temporary ⚕️

⊹ (:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅[̲̅:♡:]̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅) ⊹ 

5 minutes ago, Mer said:

if you look at Susan Sontag’s “Notes on Camp”, she favours “Naive Camp” over “Deliberate Camp”—meaning that things that dont necessarily try to be campy, but end up being so, are more satisfying. (For example, Faye Dunaway’s Mommie Dearest; or the very meta Karlie Kloss’s “looking camp right in the eye” tweet). 

honestly, if somebody's trying to be deliberately campy, it won't be camp, somebody making something really weird, silly, and ballsy, but intending it to be very serious and artful, is a very important aspect of camp, camp has soul, camp is earnest, honestly the camp met gala theme falls flat for that reason, you can't just replicate camp or try to be camp, it just isn't camp, you can't be aware of your own gaudiness or weirdness, it just doesn't work that way

WGe8ynS.gif

On 7/21/2023 at 7:36 AM, Speed Driving Coconuts said:

People who classify specific types of music as inferior are pretentious and punchable. 

Especially with hip hop, i havent immersed to it myself, but the good stuff thats coming out is all underground. 

There's just as much effort and creativity involved in making a dance bop as it is to make a piano ballad. I always roll my eyes whenever I see people who comment on music tastes pointing out how they should have "outgrown" it by now. 

I also think we're in a spot people are taking pop more seriously, with Dua, Carly Rae and Jessie Ware putting out quailty pop music with tought put in it; just unfortunate that the pop songs with no tought put into them are the ones charting  

-

On 7/28/2023 at 12:50 AM, That Venice Bitch said:

I am a big fan of Imagine Dragons and I also really enjoy (most of) Oliver Tree’s music

I like'd IDs firt record, but they feel too chart concious for me now. The redundant production and cocnstant radio plays of Thunder and Believer doesn't help either. Same for Oliver, i lost hype after the first record which was packed with hit after hit 

Merch is pointless honestly, every musician's merch looks shit and low quality imo, total waste of money :mj3: The only good looking and creative merch was in Marina's Froot era and Lana's LFL era.

url%5D

1 hour ago, Surf Noir said:

i'm sorry but it's crazy how music has become so, so awful and cringeworthy in the 2020s :rip: 

this video made me sad asf, i wonder what happened. i’d say the downgrade in popular music started in 2016 but really took off in 2019 then never got better. everything is so empty and meh, even award shows. 

we’re gonna party like it’s 1949

⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀  ⠀          ⠀     :¨ ·.· ¨:

⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀   ⠀                  `· . ꔫ

My unpopular opinion is that it’s odd how people consider Billie as some kind of vocalist when she never pretends or portrays herself as such but consider Lana a worse singer when she’s clearly much more skilled vocally 

Lazy at times but still skilled 

22 hours ago, Surf Noir said:

i'm sorry but it's crazy how music has become so, so awful and cringeworthy in the 2020s :rip: 

That's the result of the pandemic/quarantine and Tiktok

url%5D