Sitar

Random Lana Discussion Thread

I've wanted to write an analysis on Text Book for a long time, because there seems to be a lot going on in it. Now might be a good time for it. I'll try to keep it concise

I'm gonna skip the obvious parts, like the song opening "looking for the father I wanted back" and what it entails to.

Okay, so, I think "the issue of her" might be a few different things (likely at the same time):

1. "her" being Lana's mother: we all know about this dynamic being dysfunctional

2. "her" being Lana herself: because what follows is "I didn't even like myself"

3. "her" being Lana Del Rey as a celebrity because there were rumors as to whether her fame caused problems in her relationship with Sean

4. "her" being another woman as alluded to the now deleted video with Lana alluding to a second woman

Personally I think, "the issue of her" is a combination of the dysfunctional relationship with the mother and the fame which brought upon "the life she had and didn't like". Then, man "standing blue" comes (in my opinion it's definitely Sean) and she wants to rewrite her personal history with him and maybe heal and grow through it. That said, rewriting history might as well just amount to recreating it with all its dysfunctionality. "Maybe just the way we're different could set me free" - she acknowledges that they're different but almost kind of tries to rationalize this discrepancy like "what if I try it with someone very different than me this time?"

Now the most interesting part imo arrives:

I saw you saw who I am - their discrepancy can't be ignored anymore due to their political stance during BLM?

Then she does something interesting and switches back to talking about her father:

All the things I couldn't want for him

I screamed for them, oh, oh - Only explanation I could come up with was through thinking what were people wanting during the BLM protests? Justice, right? Why does she want justice for her father? She perceives him as a victim of injustice? By his spouse? Or does she want justice from her boyfriend, does she want him to see what she sees as the truth?

Could we do this dance again?
Do you think if I go blonde we could get our old love back?

(This is also very interesting, as she is naturally blond, so this might also allude to her childhood as well as going blonde briefly during her relationship with Sean. I see this line as a question to both her father and boyfriend)

Anyway thank you for reading my ramblings :smile3:

20 minutes ago, taco truck said:

Sweet

Taco truck

Candy Necklace 

Peppers

Fishtail:smh:

i agree with this :true:

giphy.gif

if i fuck this model and she just bleached her asshole and i get bleach on my t-shirt, imma feel like an asshole

2 minutes ago, lilac heaven said:

i’m about to get my first warning point

girl then get it but idk why you're so mad:defeated: people not liking BB is not a personal attack on u

3bd05eb1685d7f9b53b154c4195388d9.gif

❀˖° ⋆.ೃ࿔ this is my idea of fun °❀⋆.ೃ࿔*:・

Just now, lilac heaven said:

this is actually a really good analysis—i always thought “you saw who i am” was a good thing, but maybe she didn’t necessarily mean it in that way

Glad you liked it. :kiss:

19 minutes ago, taco truck said:

the fact that he is a cop makes the whole black lives matter thing even more tone-deaf imo:crai:

i totally get where you're coming from on the whole tone-deaf issue but i disagree, i think songs should be examined in the context of the song itself or perhaps the album they're on.. but it isn't fair to say a lyric is tone-deaf because of the things an artist has chosen to do in their personal life (e.g. how you said the lyric just "feels icky" because of things like QFTC and her comments on dating rappers, etc) - that's a subjective thing that's unique to you, so i think it's a fairly valid opinion that the lyric feels icky/tone-deaf.. it being a valid opinion doesn't make it a valid objective statement about the lyric 

because really, all the lyric does is provide a setting for the song/explains lana's thoughts.. i think your argument insinuates (correct me if it doesn't) that artists should filter their truth in order to appease people who would feel a certain way about what they're saying even if that feeling was unwarranted, which is just an opinion that i dont resonate with at all

1 minute ago, Jojo said:

@taco truck use your last braincell to log out instead of this

JDJDKCISJDBLSJCJS

tumblr_pne98wa26x1wk694yo1_500.gifv

"You can't be a muse and be happy, too.

You can't blacken the pages with Russian poetry and be happy." - Blue Banisters

I asked Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating. 

6 minutes ago, fl0r1dakil0s said:

this is probably what it is yeah 

i totally get where you're coming from on the whole tone-deaf issue but i disagree, i think songs should be examined in the context of the song itself or perhaps the album they're on.. but it isn't fair to say a lyric is tone-deaf because of the things an artist has chosen to do in their personal life (e.g. how you said the lyric just "feels icky" because of things like QFTC and her comments on dating rappers, etc) - that's a subjective thing that's unique to you, so i think it's a fairly valid opinion that the lyric feels icky/tone-deaf.. it being a valid opinion doesn't make it a valid objective statement about the lyric 

because really, all the lyric does is provide a setting for the song/explains lana's thoughts.. i think your argument insinuates (correct me if it doesn't) that artists should filter their truth in order to appease people who would feel a certain way about what they're saying even if that feeling was unwarranted, which is just an opinion that i dont resonate with at all

hmmm i think it's more it wasn't necessary , it bugs me less than when it was first released because at the time it also felt like another attempt of Lana "defending" herself (which always ended up with herself getting in more trouble somehow) i think her idea could've been stated in a different way since it is a sensitive and hot topic. When it was first released i remember a lot of people on here thinking the same but i think since it isn't as relevant as it was when Textbook was released the opinion might have changed.

3bd05eb1685d7f9b53b154c4195388d9.gif

❀˖° ⋆.ೃ࿔ this is my idea of fun °❀⋆.ೃ࿔*:・

4 minutes ago, lilac heaven said:

Could we do this dance again?

Do you think if I go blonde we could get our old love back?

I've been thinking this part is more about her relationship with her parents rather than a romantic relationship, as if she wants to relive her formative years without the trauma that they caused her

tumblr-n02pmk-XHSH1rcgcl7o6-250.gif