Rust Dress

Festivals & Tour 2023

On 9/28/2023 at 5:42 PM, trailerparkdream said:

delusional as always I’m sure but I’ve been thinking 

Lana is closing this leg of the tour with West Virginia, doing the stand by your man and summertime covers at almost every show, there’s been a lot of talk about the covers album again…. Maybe she’s going to sing country roads at the West Virginia show, after did you know… and then announce the album 👀👀👀 I know our queen is usually not this organized so even tho it seems obvious it may be a stretch. But I really hope this is the case 

No I thought this too! And hopefully another leg of the tour in a few weeks/months for those of us who didnt wanna get scammed by resellers. I saw a law was just updated that if you make more than $600 reselling tickets they will tax you as opposed to $20,000! That will scare a lottt of resellers off. On the topic of her covering country roads, i might be crazy but i think she would have another insanely successful radio moment.

7 hours ago, Offtotheraces01 said:

No I thought this too! And hopefully another leg of the tour in a few weeks/months for those of us who didnt wanna get scammed by resellers. I saw a law was just updated that if you make more than $600 reselling tickets they will tax you as opposed to $20,000! That will scare a lottt of resellers off. On the topic of her covering country roads, i might be crazy but i think she would have another insanely successful radio moment.

wait is this law applicable for all states??? if so that would be amazing haha

Okay, so something has been on my mind for a while. All of the criticism of the setlist(s) had led me to this. 

I’m going to attempt to analyze her setlist. Although it has evolved slightly, the general 18-20 song setlist has remain largely unchanged over the last few weeks. 

I’m not here to declare that the setlist is perfect. In fact, the whole reason why I was inspired to write this is that so many people dislike the setlist that she’s had over the past couple of months.

No one can get into Lana’s head, like, for example, how personally confident she and her band may feel about certain songs and arrangements. My goal here is to give a subjective analysis of why certain songs have been chosen and how their order in the setlist may have significance. 

I will be using the 20-song setlist from her recent show in Mississippi as a baseline, since it covers the majority of the songs she’s played on this leg. I will not be focused on songs she played as one offs, such as Florida Kilos and a few of the songs in Mexico, as they were unique as outliers. 

Full disclosure: She skips songs I would have loved her to play and I do think one of the glaring missing tracks is Candy Necklaces, but I’m not here to dissect what she missed, instead, to analyze what she’s given us. 

Feel free to disagree, but here it goes:

Spoiler

The set begins with Norman Fucking Rockwell! This is a familiar favorite, the title track from what’s arguably her most critically acclaimed album. The gradual intro eases into the shortened song, giving the audience time to warm up as Lana takes stage. The song sets the tone for the show and segues into the second track. 

Arcadia is up next, continuing where the outro to NFR! left off. A softer song, not one you might expect as the follow-up, but Lana has been known as a non-conformist. One of the two singles of her second to last record, which she also released a music video for, speaks to how important the song is to her. As her lyrics have evolved and matured over the years, Arcadia captures that very essence.

Sensing that maybe the fans are eager for a change of pace, she dives into a shortened version of A&W. An even more recent single, this song dials up the energy in the venue, featuring some of the most iconic and quotable lyrics from her most recent album.

After amping up the crowd, it’s time to step back into the old emotional favorite, Young and Beautiful. The lyrics speak to the crowd, making it a relatable song for both new and longtime fans. The more mature fans feel the emotion, as they reminisce of their earlier years. The younger fans know what’s to come with time and may be living in the moment, for the experience of the show, but Lana makes them ponder about the future and if love will grow or fade for them with age.

The show then flows into Bartender. It’s a bit of a nod to the southern lifestyle, as she continues her tour across the American South. Southern nostalgia is riddled throughout the lyrics, teasing ahead of the type of songs that will come up later in the set.

Lana next moves to the title track from her 7th album, Chemtrails Over the Country Club. Also a love song, it feels like a seamless transition. It’s another track she feels comfortable with and proud of. The lyrics dance around like her self-described “eccentric mind,” with themes of innocence, longing and contemplation. A nearly perfect setup for the next track. 

While reminiscing the past, the crowd may be left wondering why there has been less than a single full song played from her most recent record. Like the wandering thoughts of the fans, Lana slides into The Grants, showcasing her own thoughts and contemplations. The dreamy tone of the show continues with this soft ballad. It also allows her backup singers to shine. The emotional pull is strong and the crowd is tugged in. 

Having been reeled in by emotion, now it’s time to dial up the tone a notch with Cherry. The song showcases the raw emotion in her voice and the cherry red light show only adds to the vibe. The lyrics invoke a wide array of emotions. She hits on many reoccurring themes that can be found throughout her library. We get a glimpse into her psyche with each “fuck” and “bitch,” as this Venice Bitch literally does not give a fuck. It’s one of the high points of the first “half,” as the live version feels so much more rich than the album version.

Continuing with the themes of love and sadness, next is Pretty When You Cry. Another song that pulls the audience in, empowered by the notion that we are all “pretty when [we] cry.”

The emotional theme flows effortlessly into the Ride Monologue. Lana’s softly spoken words pair beautifully with the graphic montage behind the stage. 

Following the often somber emotions of the previous songs, we’re going out on a higher note to finish the unofficial first half of the show. Beyond that, the crowd feels Lana connecting with them, as she’s giving a personal reading of her life story. 

Although there is no intermission, we then move into what feels like a break between the first and second half of the show. She pays tribute with a cover of Stand by Your Man. Seemingly hand-picked for the “southern” leg of the tour, this song may have started as a one off, but has become a staple in her shows. 

Next up, another ballad cover with a similar feel, in Summertime (the Gershwin version). Again, while there is no intermission, one can feel that the show is still in transition before she dives into the back end. 

Lana is about to embark on a string of old favorites from her catalog. Paying a bit more tribute to the southern way of life, Blue Jeans feels like the quintessential Lana Del Rey song for this leg of the tour. Anyone who wandered away for their own intermission is suddenly grabbed back into the show.

Now that everyone is back and drawn in, the stage is set (literally) for one of her most iconic songs. The rendition of Ultraviolence is packed with both passionate vocals and classic Lana theatrics. There’s not much more to be said, but the fan favorite medley is just getting started. 

Few songs can follow up with the power and glory, but Born to Die feels like it’s up for the task. The crowd is locked in and everyone feels the love, sadness and passion. It’s as if all those in the crowd is not only born to die, but born to be at this performance, living, breathing and feeling all that Lana has to share, in songs and poems.

It almost feels like Diet Mountain Dew does for the second half, both equally and oppositely as what Cherry did for the first half. Lana hits us with this upbeat tune, full of the nostalgia that we’ve come to associate with her. Instead of cherry red, the crowd is hit with green lights and strobes. We’ve shifted from the West Coast, to the East Coast, (baby) New York City.

Coming down from the high, the crowd is now reminded that both summer is winding down and soon will the show be ending too, revoking metaphorical and literal Summertime Sadness. One of her most well known and most frequently played songs, no Lana Del Rey concert is complete without it.

To wrap up the 6-song “all star” medley, Lana comes out with Video Games. This is the song she has played the most in her concert history and it resounds with the audience. With fond memories of her early stardom, her gentle swings bring her closer to the crowd, quite literally. 

The second half may have reached an emotional high point, but it’s not over yet. Despite largely avoiding her most recent record, Did You Know That There’s a Tunnel Under Ocean Blvd feels like the proper sendoff. It pays homage to the new album and softly brings us down from the high that is a Lana Del Rey concert. 

While there is no true encore, it almost feels as if we get one with Hope is a Dangerois Thing for a Woman Like Me to Have - but I Have it. The crescendo continues. The performance slowly fades away as some of the crowd begins to exit. Despite all of the sad and sometimes depressing lyrics from her songs, the crowd is left with hope, no matter how dangerous that might be.

C9-EB944-D-53-AE-42-A7-A3-CE-EF6-DA48879

I don’t hate the current setlist, I just think that there are a few tweaks and swaps that would make it better.

What I mostly care about is her opening with A&W because it’s so cool and a high-energy way to start the show. And I think ending with Hope or Ocean Boulevard are both very appropriate, although I like ending with Ocean Blvd a bit better so she’s leaving while waving and singing “Don’t forget me”

Swap: A&W and NFR so that A&W is the opener

Out: Summertime the Gershwin edition, Stand by your man, Diet Mountain Dew, Arcadia (sorry), The Grants (sorry again)

In: Literally anything from Honeymoon, Cinnamon Girl, In my feelings, Breaking up slowly ft. Nikki Lane (if Nikki is opening) or For Free (if Zella is the opener), Candy Necklaces, Taco Truck x VB, Off to the races (instead of Diet Mountain Dew)

Even the Taco Truck x Radio TikTok edit would be good imho 😅

2 hours ago, jealous girl said:

I don’t hate the current setlist, I just think that there are a few tweaks and swaps that would make it better.

What I mostly care about is her opening with A&W because it’s so cool and a high-energy way to start the show. And I think ending with Hope or Ocean Boulevard are both very appropriate, although I like ending with Ocean Blvd a bit better so she’s leaving while waving and singing “Don’t forget me”

Swap: A&W and NFR so that A&W is the opener

Out: Summertime the Gershwin edition, Stand by your man, Diet Mountain Dew, Arcadia (sorry), The Grants (sorry again)

In: Literally anything from Honeymoon, Cinnamon Girl, In my feelings, Breaking up slowly ft. Nikki Lane (if Nikki is opening) or For Free (if Zella is the opener), Candy Necklaces, Taco Truck x VB, Off to the races (instead of Diet Mountain Dew)

Even the Taco Truck x Radio TikTok edit would be good imho 😅

Stand By Man and Diet Mtn Dew are the bane of my existence :facepalm: that DMD live rendition is SO BAD I’m sorry to say it, the studio version clears. I feel like live versions should be better than studio versions but that’s not the case with DMD 

sgopYhV.gif

3 hours ago, Crimson and Clover said:

Stand By Man and Diet Mtn Dew are the bane of my existence :facepalm: that DMD live rendition is SO BAD I’m sorry to say it, the studio version clears. I feel like live versions should be better than studio versions but that’s not the case with DMD 

I don’t care for Stand by Your Man at all, but I don’t mind it. DMD is one of my jams, but the live performance on this leg has definitely been underwhelming. I wonder if it’s just a lazy interpretation because they’re relying more on the visuals with that performance.

I appreciate the screen films, light show and theatrics, but sometimes less is more. If I had to pick between the audio and visual aspects, I want a more inspired vocal performance. I get that some people say her early shows were too “boring,” but I’d rather have more “boring” visuals if the track is nailed from a musical standpoint. You can still do both. Maybe she’s just played it too much and feels like she has to. Who knows. 

1 hour ago, mermaidmotelxo said:

does anyone know if the tour jacket was restocked? ik they were out for the mississippi show, but i didn’t know if there were any for nc or the festival this weekend

It wasn't at either show unfortunately :pft:

I hope they'll eventually sell it online though

1 hour ago, mermaidmotelxo said:

does anyone know if the tour jacket was restocked? ik they were out for the mississippi show, but i didn’t know if there were any for nc or the festival this weekend

They didn’t have much Lana merch at the festival yesterday. Her next show in PA will probably give a better idea of what merch of hers is left cause each artist at the festival only had a couple of things out

26 minutes ago, jaesana said:

Any advice on how to get front row in the pit? :excited:

You’re going to need to get to the venue first thing in the morning, assuming they allow lines to form. Sometimes people are camping out starting the day before. And then be ready for a mad dash from the gate once they start letting people in. 

If a venue has a fast pass (or equivalent), you’re also going to want to get that. 

3 minutes ago, Quincy said:

You’re going to need to get to the venue first thing in the morning, assuming they allow lines to form. Sometimes people are camping out starting the day before. And then be ready for a mad dash from the gate once they start letting people in. 

If a venue has a fast pass (or equivalent), you’re also going to want to get that. 

The venue in pgh says no overnight camping if any sort so I’m just gonna get there early in the morning and hope no one else is there. The venue is very bad at responding 

giphy.gif?cid=790b761167f1bae274183a253d

i will die if she doesn’t go to the west coast for at least part of her next leg. i’m begging anything on the west coast:defeated: i’m so pissed at myself for not going to outside lands but it was too expensive

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7gqsj2bjkxgmq77zi79zc36i0w705phy1th23hnvz&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

⁺.⊹ ࣪ ˖  𝒸𝒶𝓉𝒸𝒽 𝒶 𝓌𝒶𝓋𝑒 𝒶𝓃𝒹 𝓉𝒶𝓀𝑒 𝒾𝓃 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓈𝓌𝑒𝑒𝓉𝓃𝑒𝓈𝓈 ₊˚.༄