Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Poll  

1,060 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd?

• The Grants
    • Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd
    • Sweet
    • A&W
    • Judah Smith Interlude
    • Candy Necklace (feat. Jon Batiste)
    • Jon Batiste Interlude
    • Kintsugi
    • Fingertips
    • Paris, Texas (feat. SYML)
    • Grandfather please stand on the shoulders of my father while he's deep-sea fishing
    • Let The Light In (feat. Father John Misty)
    • Margaret (feat. Bleachers)
    • Fishtail
    • Peppers (feat. Tommy Genesis)
    • Taco Truck x VB

39 minutes ago, Cherry Blossom said:

My hatred of Blue Banisters isn’t for the actual songs themselves, but the album and its concept / creation.

Individually, the songs are great. The 3 2013 songs, IYLDWM, BBS, Arcadia, Dealer, Thunder and Sweet Carolina are some of my favourite Lana songs. However the creation of Blue Banisters (in my opinion) is so incredibly lazy and random. 

Not to mention, the things she attempted with Text Book, Blue Banisters, WFWF, Beautiful and Violets For Roses are done miles better on Ocean Blvd.

Personally, I think Blue Banisters is a stain on her discography simply because she rushed to release it (and the initial concept was changed so many times) and it feels unfocused. The songs I mentioned above were necessary for her to get to the stage she is at with her poetic personal writing, but that doesn’t mean she should have released this. It feels like she had those 4 singles, realised she found where she wanted to go artistically on future records, and tried to quickly shape an album around it by pulling songs from anywhere and everywhere (including YouTube). 

TL;DR: Sometimes songs have to be written for an artist to move forward artistically but that doesn’t mean they have to be released. 

Anyways yeah that’s my personal opinion on BB, I don’t hate it like it’s not Ava Max level bad but still it sits at the bottom of my ranking and will probably stay there. For newer fans, or people who don’t care for albums as a collective body, I understand why they would like it but for me I just cant see this compilation of tracks as an acclaimed body of work on par with her others.

I understand your points, but songs like grants:eek3:, sry, i have the feeling sometimes she moves away from her core on this album in a good way (like a&w) and than in a bad way (like grants) . @Vertimus said it right: a lot of the songs  are missing the thrill, the excitement. I have 5 favorites and a few songs i can listen to, but it is nothing in the League of nfr uv hm for me. The only thing she made better on Ob than on bb is more Experimental and fuller sounds on some songs and reminiscences on her early work. So i hope she will go in that direction for the next album.

its not simple its trigonometry on We Heart It

I dont stand for any BB slander

yes, its not Lana's greatest album but both BB & Chemtrails felt like rolling in a blanket in the middle of autumn / wintertime, it's like a warm, comfort hug wrapped in more homely concept after such monumental and big eras like NFR or L4L.

@WHORE OF TROPICO   ⇨   @SALVAWHORE             

Pokemon Eevee GIF - Pokemon Eevee Flower - Discover & Share GIFs                                   evee-dancing.gif

Bring Me That Horizon — ianime0: Pokemon XY | Eevee Dancing

3 hours ago, Cherry Blossom said:

My hatred of Blue Banisters isn’t for the actual songs themselves, but the album and its concept / creation.

Individually, the songs are great. The 3 2013 songs, IYLDWM, BBS, Arcadia, Dealer, Thunder and Sweet Carolina are some of my favourite Lana songs. However the creation of Blue Banisters (in my opinion) is so incredibly lazy and random. 

Not to mention, the things she attempted with Text Book, Blue Banisters, WFWF, Beautiful and Violets For Roses are done miles better on Ocean Blvd.

Personally, I think Blue Banisters is a stain on her discography simply because she rushed to release it (and the initial concept was changed so many times) and it feels unfocused. The songs I mentioned above were necessary for her to get to the stage she is at with her poetic personal writing, but that doesn’t mean she should have released this. It feels like she had those 4 singles, realised she found where she wanted to go artistically on future records, and tried to quickly shape an album around it by pulling songs from anywhere and everywhere (including YouTube). 

TL;DR: Sometimes songs have to be written for an artist to move forward artistically but that doesn’t mean they have to be released. 

Anyways yeah that’s my personal opinion on BB, I don’t hate it like it’s not Ava Max level bad but still it sits at the bottom of my ranking and will probably stay there. For newer fans, or people who don’t care for albums as a collective body, I understand why they would like it but for me I just cant see this compilation of tracks as an acclaimed body of work on par with her others.

You're not a big fan of the unreleased collection idea then, I would guess (assuming that ever happens). In LDR's case more is better, and an album just doesn't have to be a well-conceived "concept" piece to be enjoyed (thoroughly), but as it happens, I think of BB as her Broadway-style album (i.e., sort of Songs Without a Show).

Oh yeah, gotta make this post relevant to OB somehow ...
Nobody gives the robot Yorkshire Terrier at the end of Fishtails enough love, imo. Genius production.

7 minutes ago, slang said:

You're not a big fan of the unreleased collection idea then, I would guess (assuming that ever happens). In LDR's case more is better, and an album just doesn't have to be a well-conceived "concept" piece to be enjoyed (thoroughly), but as it happens, I think of BB as her Broadway-style album (i.e., sort of Songs Without a Show).

Oh yeah, gotta make this post relevant to OB somehow ...
Nobody gives the robot Yorkshire Terrier at the end of Fishtails enough love, imo. Genius production.

I would love an unreleased album because at least it would be what it says it is

tumblr_inline_nojcj6qe1j1s5i2my_400.gif gmgif.gif morrissey-flowers.gif

we have once again entered the phase of this thread where the convo switches to BB slander :hillary:

꧁ღ⊱♥ i lost my reputation, i forgot my truth, but i have my beauty and i have my youth ♥⊱ღ꧂

BRILLIANT.gif

9 hours ago, Blackestday x CN said:

Ob is better than nfr???

:eek3:

I am not the right to defend nfr, but this is the self-hypnosis i see here everyday.

Soon i read comments like "it is better than uv and honeymoon"

And they're true.

Ob>nfr>UV