ethelcain

"Tropico" (Scrapped) Album Recording/Writing Timeline and Creative Process Discussion

On 1/5/2024 at 8:18 AM, Crazy Husband Thief said:

There's no way that the title between "Earthquakes" and "Axl Rose" isn't "Yes To Heaven". It looks a bit weird because the q from "Earthquakes" penetrates it.

tropico-tl.webp

image.png?ex=65aa7505&is=65980005&hm=f96a84e6167ad99b5a060ef9e5880c64f1fd539c19f3aae3fb29526e4e43372c&=&format=webp&quality=lossless&width=463&height=520

This piece of paper must have studied way more than the scrolls from the Old Testament or the Rosetta Stone at this point :ma:

3 minutes ago, GeminiLanaFan said:

This piece of paper must have studied way more than the scrolls from the Old Testament or the Rosetta Stone at this point :ma:

Someone should ask Lana about this in an interview or online. 

On 1/5/2024 at 8:18 AM, Crazy Husband Thief said:

There's no way that the title between "Earthquakes" and "Axl Rose" isn't "Yes To Heaven". It looks a bit weird because the q from "Earthquakes" penetrates it.

tropico-tl.webp

image.png?ex=65aa7505&is=65980005&hm=f96a84e6167ad99b5a060ef9e5880c64f1fd539c19f3aae3fb29526e4e43372c&=&format=webp&quality=lossless&width=463&height=520

Is there any possibility of these pics existing in higher quality, maybe from the photographer? The way even a tiny quality increase would cause SHOCKWAVES

o4qjp4j.png

18 minutes ago, Wait For Life said:

I don’t know if anyone posted this but the paper in this image clearly says “LANA DEL REY Trans-Am”

IMG_7481.jpg?ex=65abd514&is=65996014&hm=
IMG_7482.png?ex=65abd514&is=65996014&hm=

is this ur teasing of knowing somehting from someone on discord or just a matter of fact because if you know anything on trans am at least if that exists this will be the best time to reveal it:trisha3:

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7jpqyd46ox5igmjru9y

8 minutes ago, Wait For Life said:

Whether the titles are what they seem or not, there’s no guarantee they were ever recorded, or are in circulation.  Sure, the paper is cool but I don’t think it correlates to much of anything at all.

I said this months ago. 

1 hour ago, Wait For Life said:

Whether the titles are what they seem or not, there’s no guarantee they were ever recorded, or are in circulation.  Sure, the paper is cool but I don’t think it correlates to much of anything at all.

We've been saying this for ages but we want closure!

1 hour ago, honeymo0n said:

im still a 'fake rolex' believer :aubrey:

My condolences.

On 12/21/2023 at 2:50 AM, cartoon eyes said:

Anyone up for word search round 2? K2WshA8.png

From this pic flipped and darkened all the way - I see MELANCHOLIA for sure but not rly sure what else

i figured it out

IMG-4435.jpg

Full Tracklist:
1. Old Money (?) - Based on the other photo and the fact that Old Money made it to UV's final tracklist, it is likely that she kept it on this draft as well

2. Money Power Glory

3. Guns N Roses (?)

4. Black Beauty

5. Lake Placid

6. Melancholia

7. Earthquakes

8. Summertime

9. Dragonslayer

10. Trans Am

11. Queen Of Hearts (?) - last track looks like it has "of" in the middle, and QoH was recorded feb 2nd, and this photo was taken in January so it could've been considered/first written here

the earth shattered, the sky opened

tumblr_p594n81oiC1x11ydmo2_400.gif

that rain was fire, but we were wooden

2 minutes ago, Star Lux said:

not to throw a spanner in the works but I see "Dark City" after Melancholia

We've been told that Dark City was written and recorded in 2014, unfortunately

nvm just saw your edit

the earth shattered, the sky opened

tumblr_p594n81oiC1x11ydmo2_400.gif

that rain was fire, but we were wooden

On 1/6/2024 at 9:10 AM, Strangelove said:

Someone should ask Lana about this in an interview or online. 

I’m not even sure she’d remember about it TBH. I don’t blame her: we know that she records a lot for each album and her track list changes considerably before release. And she also moves on very quick to the next album (lucky for us).

It just happened that this time, we have a photo of a tracklist that was considered at the moment, dating back to what? 2012-13?  

8 minutes ago, HRHCOLLECTION said:

Does anyone know why the incredible Madly is only available as part of youtube album compilations and not as a standalone video? Is it copyrighted or what’s the deal?

a lot of her unreleased stuff keeps getting wiped off youtube/soundcloud and so on, id say people are just trying to avoid getting striked

giphy.gif

On 6/14/2023 at 1:06 AM, Break Me Down said:

Hi! I wanted to make a thread where people could discuss and maybe share info about the Tropico album, because it really interests me and I'm sure some of you feel the same way! :)

What we know:

- It was recorded during late 2012-2013 but was eventually scrapped and turned into "Ultraviolence".

Lana announced that the short film would use three tracks from "Paradise" instead of songs from her then scrapped album in July of 2013.

- "Elvis", the laptop demo from 2008 was possibly considered for inclusion on the album, but was probably never re-recorded.

- The concept "Ultraviolence" was born and "Tropico" was scrapped sometime after October 23, 2013, since Pink Champagne is confirmed to be on Tropico's tracklist, and it is the latest known recording date we know of for any of the songs on Tropico.

"Tropico" track list (that we know of):

1. Old Money (Drums Demo)

2. Black Beauty (Demo)

3. Guns n Roses (Demo)

4. Lake Placid

5. Summertime (Janis Joplin cover)

6. Melancholia ("Ultraviolence" Demo)

7. Jesus (I Talk To Jesus)

8. Pink Champagne ("Let Me Love You Like A Woman" Demo)

9. Elvis

10. Earthquakes (Final Version)

11. Illegible

12. Illegible (Money & Power?, Fake Rolex?, Axl Rose?)

13. Illegible (Preacher?)

Picture of Lana's notebook with the alleged track list during January of 2013:

Reveal hidden contents

tropico-tl

Other songs (and their recording dates) that were recorded during the Tropico sessions, in other words: songs that were recorded after "Paradise" but before the concept of "Ultraviolence" existed

(* = unsure)

- 80s Baby (Nov 15, 2012)

- Sweetheart (Nov 15, 2012)

- The Devil (Dec 7, 2012)

- He Hits Me Because He Loves Me (Dec 7, 2012)

- Nectar Of The Gods (May 5, 2013)

- Cherry Blossom (May 5, 2013)

- Angels Forever, Forever Angels (June, 2013)

- Unidentified Flying Bill (June, 2013)

- Madly (Oct 1, 2013)

- Ave Maria

- Cult Leader*

Lmk what I should add!

isnt there a second known tracklist

giphy.gif