Elle

Grammy Awards 2024 - Lana Del Rey Nominated for 5 Awards

I really thought that she would win Best Alternative Music Performance. She had *no* competition at all. A&W was the most acclaimed song of 2023. It topped all the major publications' lists. It received a SOTY nomination. There was no fucking competition! When she lost that, I knew that she'd leave empty-handed. I mean, I get it, for some bizarre reason "the record" was the most acclaimed album of 2023 so it beating Ocean Blvd in the Alternative Album category was a plausible scenario as much as we don't like it. But the Scammys refusing to give Lana the Alternative Performance Grammy despite the fact that 2023 was a huge year for her both commercially and critically and that she had a unanimously raved song? It's an insane and disgusting snub. 

I was just looking at all the albums nominated since the start and it seems like it started to fall off only in recent years maybe 2010 to now. 

For decades almost everyone nominated is legendary and probably among the very top of their genre and then it looks completely random for years now. How the fuck has Lil Nas X had 2 albums nominated and Justin Bieber plus Doja Cat, Olivia Rodrigo, Cardi B, Macklemore, Ed Sheeran, Post Malone, how did Eminem get nominated in 2012. Harry Stlyles won as well.

1 hour ago, Three White Butterflies said:

honestly I figured Lana wouldn't win song or album of the year just because of how the academy tends to vote but the fact that she lost the alternative categories is genuinely shocking to me.....like these people actually listened to boygenius and Lana's album and chose boygenius??? I actually don't know how that makes sense in any world. It really does seem intentional, the way mainstream media and the academy goes out of their way to not acknowledge Lana's massive legacy and impact to the world. I hope that Lana just keeps moving forward and doesn't even acknowledge this.

I think a lot of what is liked and voted for by the judges is liked conceptually rather than musically. 

As in, 'Wow, boygenius, a super-group of assertive Indie women who are presently obscure, banding together and taking a clever gender-twisting name--and one or two might be lesbian or bi-!! I want to appear as if I'm hip to that."

In the distant past, I remember Beck and the Scottish band Teenage Fanclub being given the same sort of attention and love, though no one had heard of either at the time--except Yoko Ono!

Extroverts very quickly learn on which bandwagon to jump. And Teenage Fanclub's album was called Bangwagonesque to make it all the more ironic. 

Everyone keep in mind Edina in AbFab running around the award show floor with Bubble, desperately saying, "What's the buzz, the buzz, what's the buzz? What's new and different?" 

20 minutes ago, Traveler said:

To Taylor's credit I do believe she was giving a genuine compliment to Lana in that moment. Also,  I feel like Taylor would call herself a "Legacy Artist" as well. 

I also think Taylor was being sincere. But I wouldn't call either a legacy artist. In what sense is Taylor a legacy artist at this point in her life and career? 

Poor Lana was clearly of two minds about joining her on the stage.

What I would have liked to have seen is Taylor say, "Thanks to you, Academy and judges, and thanks to everyone who helped me achieve this and record the album, but this award should have gone to this individual right here, Lana Del Rey." 

Just now, Vertimus said:

I also think Taylor was being sincere. But I wouldn't call either a legacy artist. In what sense is Taylor a legacy artist? 

Poor Lana was clearly of two minds about joining her on the stage.

What I would have liked to have seen is Taylor say, "Thanks to you, academy, and thanks to everyone who helped me achieve this and record the album, but this award should have gone to this individual right here, Lana Del Rey." 

I don't disagree with anything you just said... 

with the absolute heart of the poem of life butchered out of their own bodies good to eat a thousand years

3 minutes ago, Jeanne Dielman said:

I really thought that she would win Best Alternative Music Performance. She had *no* competition at all. A&W was the most acclaimed song of 2023. It topped all the major publications' lists. It received a SOTY nomination. There was no fucking competition! When she lost that, I knew that she'd leave empty-handed. I mean, I get it, for some bizarre reason "the record" was the most acclaimed album of 2023 so it beating Ocean Blvd in the Alternative Album category was a plausible scenario as much as we don't like it. But the Scammys refusing to give Lana the Alternative Performance Grammy despite the fact that 2023 was a huge year for her both commercially and critically and that she had a unanimously raved song? It's an insane and disgusting snub. 

Yep, that category was BY FAR the worst snub. With the other categories it’s like…ok this person is more popular, this person is a grammy darling, etc. But a random Paramore song taking best alt music performance over A&W? Really? That was straight up disrespectful.

I remember too, it was like 2:30 pm for me when those categories were being announced: I was SO excited because I was so sure she was winning. This sounds dumb but I had been looking forward to this day since it was announced that she had been nominated for alt categories; I’m pretty sure most of us were like ‘of course she’s gonna win, this is a no-brainer.’ Not only does it devour the other nominees in terms of creativity, genre-bending, and lyricism, A&W was also critically acclaimed. Same applies to Ocean Blvd. Lana isn’t a random indie artist, her sales and streams are great. So all around it looked good and realistic. 

When she got snubbed for all her pre-show categories…yeah it was over then. If I was a celebrity I would’ve pulled a Kanye moment, got up on stage and said “Yo Billie, I’m really happy for you, I’ll let you finish but Lana had one of the best songs of all time! One of the best songs of all time!” *mic drop*

we’re gonna party like it’s 1949

⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀  ⠀          ⠀     :¨ ·.· ¨:

⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀   ⠀                  `· . ꔫ

13 minutes ago, Jeanne Dielman said:

I felt and feel the same way. Once she lost BAMP and AA, I knew she would lose everything else. 

The way the Grammy judges probably see it, when Lana is old and grey and needs to sit, like Joni Mitchell, then they'll give Lana her revolving chair, bad lighting, and an excruciatingly over-the-top introduction like Mitchell received last night. 

You’re so right! And I don’t even wanna be like “maybe next year she’ll get one.” She should have gotten one now! It just broke my heart to see her disappointment. A&W was so so so good and the first part was incredibly personal and the whole song was just so creative. I just don’t get how she lost in the Alternative categories. 

f066e89e5d9d0d6e1d7fa6e01f0fc068a3458674

The only reason I want Lana to win a Grammy is for herself. Acknowledgement from the music industry is important to her. I don't need acknowledgement from the Gammys or anyone else to validate my love and appreciation for her. 

On another note Taylor Swift's OMG moments when winning something is a bit much. I bet when she gets a spam email from Walmart saying, "Congratulations you've just won a gift card ", she puts her hands to her mouth, "Me? I can't believe it. I'm not deserving ".

my parents were cursing TS out for pretending like she was shocked the whole time

and then they made fun of Lana for looking sad and sitting down the whole time

i think jack looked extra ratty, personally

the earth shattered, the sky opened

tumblr_p594n81oiC1x11ydmo2_400.gif

that rain was fire, but we were wooden

we should change rules in academy. kicking out most of boomers. increase the diversity of age groups of voters. and increase people connected to music expertism/journalism who are open-minded and have variety taste.

I just hope Lasso will get nominated for next year. It’ll be so so good and she’ll win with the country categories! One day she’ll get her grammy. 

f066e89e5d9d0d6e1d7fa6e01f0fc068a3458674

Boygenius is fucking whole foods gluten free aisle fake deep indie that makes Clairo look fucking deep in comparison. And no one give a fuck about Paramore and their 2009 hot topic pop-punk shit thats been stale for over a decade now and an insult to real punk music. The more one thinks about the alternate category snubs the more insulting everything becomes :excited:

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b95237ep20gi51lvjl437x