Elle

Lasso - Pre-Release Thread: OUT September 2024

2 hours ago, Liz Taylor Blues said:

Gentry had a similar aesthetic to Lana, is associated with Elvis, and also famously dissapeared completely like Lana flirts with every now and again.. As for the film while its not my interpretation of the song.... the song is intentionally open ended. I's more about casual cruelty than the suicide/murder itself. Nobody at the table notices their daughter/sister dying inside at the conversation....never mind the lack of sympathy for Billy Joe himself.  That said Gentry was involved with the movie and did not show any disapproval of their interpretation. Now wherther thats because she liked it or because she's not the type to comment on anything publicly we will never know.

Thank you for your thoughts—I certainly never interpreted the song that way and I think it's a typically dangerous 1970s American reaction to homosexuality—so awful a thing that one night with a man is reason to commit suicide. 

I interpret the song the way you do—ironically, for the most part, as if his unremarked-upon death is just another subject or event in a sleepy Southern town. Max Baer Jr., with portrayed Jethro in The Beverly Hillbilies, produced it, but I doubt had anything to do with the homosexual angle. They probably wanted to come up with something that could cause a young man to kill himself, short of getting a young girl, or the wrong young girl, pregnant. In the movie, she wants everyone to think he killed himself because he got her pregnant, so she goes away for a year, saying she'll return childless, so everyone thinks that her pregnancy was the real reason for his suicide and that she gave their child up for adoption. 

How far we've come. 

3 minutes ago, Vertimus said:

Thank you for your thoughts—I certainly never interpreted that way and I think it's a typically dangerous 1970s American reaction to homosexuality—so awful a thing that one night with a man is reason to commit suicide. 

I interpret the song the way you do—ironically, for the most part, as if his unremarked-upon death is just another subject or event in a sleepy Southern town. Max Baer Jr., with portrayed Jethro in The Beverly Hillbilies, produced it, but I doubt had anything to do with the homosexual angle. They probably wanted to come up with something that could cause a young man to kill himself, short of getting a young girl, or the wrong young girl, pregnant. In the movie, she wants everyone to think he killed himself because he got her pregnant, so she goes away for a year, saying she'll return childless, so everyone thinks that her pregnancy was the real reason for his suicide and that she gave their child up for adoption. 

How far we've come. 

For sure. Seventies pro- gay allies seem borderline reactionary. A lot has changed very quickly...

On topic more generally, I genuinely hope Lana will tap back into the populist perspective she was so good at in her pre record music now that she has such a large mass of fans. "We're famous in Arkansas" as she said some months back.  It could be a genuinely huge cultural reset given how big and influential she and her acolytes and pretenders are now.

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/59/40/90/5940903240da03ab6f8c1a9c79a31773.jpg

2 minutes ago, Liz Taylor Blues said:

For sure. Seventies pro- gay allies seem borderline reactionary. A lot has changed very quickly...

On topic more generally, I genuinely hope Lana will tap back into the populist perspective she was so good at in her pre record music now that she has such a large mass of fans. "We're famous in Arkansas" as she said some months back.  It could be a genuinely huge cultural reset given how big and influential she and her acolytes and pretenders are now.

I hope so too. I was born in Laguna Beach but spent my formative years out in the country in Nashville, TN, and feel I know the South and Americana as a broad musical style fairly well. I wasn't too thrilled with those country-style songs she played live a few years ago, but I don't expect Lasso to sound or be as lyrically cliched as those.   

Just now, Americen Whore said:

The fact that lana added nikki lane as the first picture of the “southern gothic” highlight is actually her confirming nikki will be featured :omg: “nikki is on…Lasso

D1-C9-B0-C5-89-DD-4517-A73-D-A3-FFC42417

Omg the best news today!!! I prefer Nikki over those rappers anytime anyday. I’m sorry 

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't sick of it

pet96.gif pet96.gif pet96.gif

3 minutes ago, Let the Light In said:

Omg the best news today!!! I prefer Nikki over those rappers anytime anyday. I’m sorry 

The nikki hate is so forced :smh: I like breaking up slowly and would love to hear prettiest girl in country music in hq

Breaking Up Slowly is one of the worst Lana songs ever but i don’t hate Nikki. Nikki has historically served on insta stories so i like her

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b95237ep20gi51lvjl437x

14 hours ago, Sunbather Moonchaser said:

This is actually pretty

13 hours ago, Lasso said:

ate :mariah:

Thank you by the way!!! :wub:

2.gif

13 hours ago, Americen Whore said:

The fact that lana added nikki lane as the first picture of the “southern gothic” highlight is actually her confirming nikki will be featured :omg: “nikki is on…Lasso

D1-C9-B0-C5-89-DD-4517-A73-D-A3-FFC42417

It’s interesting to see what she put in that highlight. She included a performance of the grants and unchained melody duet with jelly roll. Not sure if the grants was just for her aesthetic but unchained melody might be more southern gothic :dua: 

492482-1.png

♡︎

4 hours ago, X8vinylScratchX said:

Breaking Up Slowly is one of the worst Lana songs ever but i don’t hate Nikki. Nikki has historically served on insta stories so i like her

Breaking up slowly.... One of the worst Lana songs ever...?!  I... 

Is it an unpopular opinion to absolutely adore this song? it's one of my favorites on Chemtrails

30 minutes ago, Jon Batiste Interlude said:

Breaking up slowly.... One of the worst Lana songs ever...?!  I... 

Is it an unpopular opinion to absolutely adore this song? it's one of my favorites on Chemtrails

Its literally one of her best. Painfully beautiful, melancholic and genuine as it gets. Nikki's rough voice against Lana's softness makes it just unique as well.

54 minutes ago, gasstationkween said:

She shoudl just name the album southern gothic 

Lasso is a perfect name tbh. Her naming the album as Southern Gothic would be the same if someone names their album as Emo Grunge or Neo-Classicism or Coquette lmao

2.gif

If the album’s title wasn’t Lasso what do you think she would call it?

Carmen GIF by Lana Del Rey

︵‿୨ ♱ I talk to Jesus / And ask him if he'll think of saving me ♱ ୧‿︵