rocknrollgroupie

Lana Del Rey and Quavo “Tough” - OUT NOW!

I hate to say it, but my biggest problem with the song is L4na’s verse. I actually don’t mind Qu4vo’s auto tuned voice lol. There are crating parts to his verse as well, but I got used to it pretty quick. I like the song and want to play the song up until L4na’s verse. As soon as it reaches that part, I want to turn it off. I don’t like how she sounds here. I have to mentally prepare for it and that gets exhausting. She’s just mumbling too much. I don’t like how weak her voice sounds, and I don’t like how her voice is edited. I like every other part. It just sounds she’s struggling and holding back not properly singing/annunciating. She sounds too timid and apprehensive. And the editing on that part doesn‘t help. It just sounds weird. 

Her voice here just reminds me of the interesting week 1 Coachella performance. She’s slurring her words. And some parts of the lyrics aren’t even coming out. I’m getting flashbacks to images of Lana pointing the mic to the audience constantly. Her holding and grasping her neck because the notes aren’t coming out. It’s quite traumatic that’s why I don’t like it because her verse reminds me of that.

“ Like the smoke and the drawl every now in the way you talk slow
Oh yeah, yeah
Like the songs that your mama sing to you
And the way that it makes you tell the truth ”

Edit: This was the wrong lyrics. It’s actually “Like the smoke and the drawl of your “Y’all” now in the way you talk slow” 

This makes way more sense lol. And it’s not as slurred as I thought.

“Every” is very slurred/edited? and “Truth” is barely audible. You can hear her damaged voice and her struggle for air and that’s the biggest problem. The editing doesn’t help either. It just sounds very odd. It makes the listener uncomfortable. 

I feel like they should’ve re-recorded that part with L4na singing and annunciating more clearly. The bridge is perfect because she’s not slurring and she’s actually singing with energy. The chorus is a bit slurred too if I’m being honest, but it’s not as bad as the verse. Qu4v0’s voice backing also help it sounds clearer and richer.

I just want to sing along to her part, but I can’t because you can barely understand her and her voice keeps dipping in and out :rip:

I can’t be the only one having problems with L4na’s vocal performance, right? Her vocals have been very inconsistent even in studio recordings now since Blue Banisters. Chemtrails still have great vocals. “Say Yes To Heaven” is a smash because of how beautiful and buttery smooth her voice sounds. Her voice carried that whole song. “Blue Skies” also have great vocals (the whole song tanked tho because the unnecessary too long outro). We need that kind of energy in most songs. I say “most” because some songs do benefit from her sounding weak and broken but not every song.

Edit: Taking back what I said, chile. Her verse grew on me 🤭.

Review from CLASH:

The full single is out now, and it’s a sure-fire hit. Condensing Lana’s catalogue into a single three-minute outburst, it’s hugely atmospheric, an incredible pop song that speaks from the heart.

Quavo’s input feels integral, an amazing collaborative sensibility that makes the song potent and whole. The hook purrs with barely constrained violence, a paean to beauty and ugliness: “Tough like the scuff on a pair of old leather boots/Like the blue-collar, red-dirt attitude/Like a .38 made out of brass/Tough like the stuff on your grandpa’s glass…”

Out now, ‘Tough’ is equipped with a stellar video shot by Wyatt Spain Winfrey, a tale of doomed lovers that recalls Bonnie and Clyde – who, after all, raced across the American south-west.

Our verdict? 8/10

https://www.clashmusic.com/reviews/lana-del-rey-quavo-tough-a-country-trap-masterclass/#:~:text=The full single is out,the song potent and whole.

I agree with 8/10. It ain't no Ride, Venice Bitch, West Coast or Ocean Boulevard masterpiece, but it is an "incredible" pop song.

5 minutes ago, Lustformoney said:

So Tough went #82 on Apple Music Us top 100, mind you yes to heaven her biggest hit went #168 3 days after the release:oprah4: we r so getting that collab album

Just like I predicted. SYTH debuted at 54. This will be higher than that, but perhaps not as high as Snow on the Beach/Summertime Sadness.

4 hours ago, SuperMegaStan said:

isnt .38 a type of bullet for that type of gun.. im not american and im not familiar with their obsession towards the 2nd amendment but still :rip:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.38_Special

When people in the gun community reference “a .38” they’re referring to a revolver chambered in that round, typically. Like if someone says “I’ve got a 9mm” they mean they have a gun that shoots 9mm. 

edit: sorry, I just woke up and see that someone answered this 

Edited by MamaDelGhey

AB6-A338-F-93-FB-4-E32-8-E3-A-565-A67-D9

1 hour ago, Lustformoney said:

So Tough went #82 on Apple Music Us top 100, mind you yes to heaven her biggest hit went #168 3 days after the release:oprah4: we r so getting that collab album

22 minutes ago, honeymoon is alive said:

oh boy this is a hit already, the mv has reached #1 worldwide on youtube :dance:

SYTH was a surprise drop with no lead up promo, no live performance, no music video. Need to see where “Tough” is a month from now. SYTH was still doing 2 million streams a month after release.

6 hours ago, barttttender said:

Yeah, a lot of outrage over the idea that some folks might prefer tough to AW. And there are people who do

But, for me, it's simple. AW, as lush, dark and meticulously produced as it is, is a very depressing cut. I need to be in a particular mood to listen to it. 

Tough you can play to feel good, in the car, on holiday, with your friends, with your boyfriend. 

That being said, it's a matter of personal preference. And we don't need to have these songs compete like horses. They're both good in their own way.

Yeah same as white dress, i have to be in that particular mood for these Songs. But i am just so into her old music. And tough feels like an extension of what she began with LFL, and i Adore the chemistry of them together, they could really make a great collab album or ep

its not simple its trigonometry on We Heart It

3 hours ago, never2heaven said:

i wonder what quavos fav lana song is and vice versa! id love to be a fly on the wall for one of their conversations lol

Or maybe they're too mutually hypnotized by each other's sexy lips to talk with 'em :hooker: :kiss3:

I credit the power of Lana for the fact that the lyrics are basically the checklist of country song cliches (ahem: https://youtu.be/y7im5LT09a0?si=HwlI1lvr0xmPXHgx) but it's still the bop of the summer. Her power!

‘Fucking God bless us all and let’s hope we make it through this.’
~LDR, Flaunt