Sign in to follow this  
Hello Heaven

What was BTD originally intended on sounding like?

A couple of weeks ago I was jamming some BTD demos and I thought about how the earlier ones pretty much all sounded a lot more upbeat than the album versions but with, for example TIWMUG and Born To Die toned down on the second demo and then even more for the album version. The demos sound a lot like her other kind of hip hop unreleased songs and I wondered what made her adapt the concept of the album to what's known as :quote: depressing and boring :lanasrs:

And would you prefer if it was more like her demos? I love the atmosphere of the album more but I prefer the first Dark Paradise demo, Radio demo and first TIWMUG demo being more upbeat.

tumblr_inline_mpf5hqIjBE1ruk3rs.gif

Well we still have upbeat songs on the final record (Lolita , Lucky Ones , Off To The Races ) . So we have a few demos of Lolita and shes working on that song for Years because the first demo was online before Video Games I think. 

I would never call that record depressing and boring. I know that the production is nearly the same but thats just the feeling of the whole album. And since opinions are always different , someone likes the album tracks more and the other one the demos.

I think some demos are too different to compare just like the first demo of Dark Paradise. These are like totally new and different tracks. 

And I still feel this trip hop thing. She described the album as "Bruce Springsteen in Miami" and it really fits . 

Well we still have upbeat songs on the final record (Lolita , Lucky Ones , Off To The Races ) . So we have a few demos of Lolita and shes working on that song for Years because the first demo was online before Video Games I think. 

I would never call that record depressing and boring. I know that the production is nearly the same but thats just the feeling of the whole album. And since opinions are always different , someone likes the album tracks more and the other one the demos.

I think some demos are too different to compare just like the first demo of Dark Paradise. These are like totally new and different tracks. 

And I still feel this trip hop thing. She described the album as "Bruce Springsteen in Miami" and it really fits . 

I don't think it's boring, I was just quoting the first thing that most people say to me when they find out I like Lana, aha.

I know, Lolita and Diet Mtn Dew especially are still upbeat but there's a difference with the other tracks.

tumblr_inline_mpf5hqIjBE1ruk3rs.gif

Lucky ones isn't really upbeat. Butnyyes Off to the races and Lolita are upbeat. And yes i agree that she almost wanted to do whole new songs from the demos.

qqAZ3mU.png

Well, it seems to be that some songs were just reworked because the demos leaked before its release? I mean, why would they put the "This Is What Makes Us Girls" demo lyrics in the booklet if the final version has different lyrics?

And I remember in 2011/2012 Lana saying something like "all the versions on the album are different than the leaked ones," so I don't know. She probably had an idea of the album concept and vibe in general so she wanted to rework tracks she did way back, but I believe some "new versions" were done because of the leaks.

I'm just supposing, though.

Well her demos are good but album version is better. Her demo songs are just like the other "normal" songs. This sound on album makes her different.

And I like her style, and I want her to stay the same forever!

And tbh when I first time heard "Born to die" and "Video games" I was like OMG BITCH YOU ARE SO BORING AND YOU ARE SINGING LIKE YOU'RE SHITTING!!! Later I downloaded her album to hear what she have on album even if i though that she is boring. And I started to listen and i skipped all songs and I stoped on "Million Dollar Man" and I was like - oh! This sounds so good. Her high tone and that electronic wind sound or whatever it is. It's sooo good. And of course I was in love with "Summertime Sadness" I said - OMG THAT HEAVENLY MELODY... And I went out at night and I walked trough the street (I live in place which looks like forest hahaha) and I listened "MDM" on repeat and there was the snow and wind pushed my hair up and that time I was so sexy to myself.  :D

Later I started to listen all songs and slowly I fall in love in almost all!

And when I heard Yayo...  :shock:

Now I like all her songs!

But still I just can't stand "Diet Mtn Dew" and I'm sad for that...  :ohno:  But who knows... Maybe one day.

So, some people(bitches) don't want to give a chance to something new. That's the reason why they think that Lana is boring.

And thank you Lana. You showed me the beauty of this life. Now I'm happily depressed every day!  :toofunny:

tumblr_p0v8ex4Llk1raxa8qo1_540.jpg

I prefer the album versions. One thing about BTD is that it comes very close to having too much hip-hop influence in my opinion. It seems especially so if you listen to it with headphones. The headphones seem to amplify the hip hop influences. 

I think she just had an artistic evolution between creating the songs, and then producing them in the studio. As it is now, the songs have a kind of vibe which makes them thematically fit together. The variations in style balance each other well (like Off to the Races coming after BTD)