Sitar

Unpopular Lana Opinions

I just don't get why most of the fans hate/dislike the lyrics on Ultraviolence. They're WAAAY better than Born to Die. I don't know, I feel like they're more honest. Pretty When You cry is fantastic, Old Money is like  :( , Ultraviolence is one of the best lyrics every, West Coast is amazing, & more...

I mean, I generally like UV way more than BTD, but some of the lyrics, especially the choruses, get so tedious.

This is ultraviolence

Ultraviolence

Ultraviolence

Ultraviolence

I'm a sad girl

I'm a sad girl

I'm a sad girl

I'm a sad girl

I'm a bad girl

I'm a bad girl

Because I'm pretty when I cry

I'm pretty when I cry

I'm pretty when I cry

I'm pretty when I cry

I'll run to you

I'll run to you

I'll run run run

I'll come to you

I'll come to you

I'll come come come

Black beauty

Black beauty

Black beauty

Black beauty baby

Black beauty baby

(This is a bridge I guess but still)

He loved guns and roses

Guns and roses

He loved guns and roses

He loved guns and roses, roses, roses

Is this happiness?

Is this happiness?

Is this happiness?

Is this happiness?

This is from looking at UV on its own. Born to Die certainly has its moments (Summertime Sadness,  there's another big one but I can't think of it) and Paradise has even more (Body Electric, Burning Desire, Ride, bits of others). Not all the songs are like this (Brooklyn Baby, West Coast, Flipside - some of the best songs she has officially released among a few others) and the versus typically make up for the choruses but it gets tiresome when you think of how repetitive some of the songs can be. Some of them could have been even more amazing if their choruses did more than repeat the title endlessly and its kind of sad to see the missed potential.

Born to Die has some terrible lyrics, worse than the worst ones on UV, but it had some awesome lyrics too. Born to Die, Video Games, Blue Jeans.. just as mature and good as anything on UV. Its just songs like Dark Paradise and Diet Mountain Dew that bring the album down, along with the lack of a central "feel" and "atmosphere" like what UV has.

Goddesses don't speak in whispers. They scream.

^ Normally, I'd grovel about that too, but I think the lyrics work in the context of the song, instrumental-wise 

I don't mind the repetition, I just wanted a greater attention to lyricism, which I felt I was present on Ultraviolence

tumblr_n0offys8zL1rhl4f0o1_400.gif
you're so art froggo, out on the pond…

I got the idea that Ultraviolence isn't supposed to be about the lyrics really. But more about the music and the flow and feeling. Al the chaotic instrumentals, the tempo changes, it presents her state of mind at different times in her life or even in moments. We know Lana can write really well, so I think all the repeating is done on purpose, to shift the focuse from the lyrics on to the flow of the song itself. I think it's also why a lot of the vocals are drowned out by the instrumentals. It's not meant to be carefully listened to, to understand the lyrics, it's meant to be felt.

I really dislike AKA, I think it's extremely overrated. The production is terrible and there are only a few good songs, in my opinion. I don't get why people want her to re-release it... it would be a step down in quality compared to UV, BTD and Paradise.  :bye2:

Don't get me wrong, I really love Kill Kill, QOTGS, and Pawn Shop Blues. I just think the album as a whole is bad.

I don't know how unpopular, but:

LDRAKALG  is a better title than just LDR or Nevada because it spookily forecasts all the authenticity issues that plagued her. If she re-releases it, she should keep that title.

As to whether AKA is a step up or down from her current work (I really think it's a step sideways), this doesn't address the issue of whether it is a step up or down from works like Artpop, Prism, or Red. If AKA adds to the diversity of pop (and increases its overall quality), then it should be re-released. Ditto for Sirens and The Leaked Sessions vol. 1 - 6.

May Jailer songs are really something. Good old Classic Folk-rock with beautiful poetic lyrics. That girl is a natural!

And another one:

I actually like Sirens and I don't get why so many don't. Maybe the reason is that I did never put the songs in one album or playlist, if you listen to all of them in a row it may really get boring but I got to know it song by song (not knowing about the May Jailer thing at all) and after listening to them several times I loved every one of them. Especially the lyrics and melodies are magnificent imo.

IMG_20140716_101607.jpg

Ive seen a lot of hate towards Sad Girl, the opening "triumphant marchy" type melody is so cute, and the jazzy sassy verse is great, and as it makes its way to the chorus "he's got that fiREEEEEEEAAAAAAAHHHH" and the lyrics are pretty great too, cause they're so clever and true, sure saying I'm a sad girl a few times isn't seen as poetry but you know, everything fits in the song, loving someone even though you have to share them.

:smokes:

Ive seen a lot of hate towards Sad Girl, the opening "triumphant marchy" type melody is so cute, and the jazzy sassy verse is great, and as it makes its way to the chorus "he's got that fiREEEEEEEAAAAAAAHHHH" and the lyrics are pretty great too, cause they're so clever and true, sure saying I'm a sad girl a few times isn't seen as poetry but you know, everything fits in the song, loving someone even though you have to share them.

I wouldn't call it hate, but I get what you're saying...

ZmJh1LG.jpg

It's one of her best songs ever, if you ask me. 

tumblr_ou8g76nUPp1ts8ukho1_250.png

I haven't listened to UV that much.  I don't mind a lot of the songs but they kind of dive into very familiar-sounding parts.  Nothing egregious ripped off but there are phrases throughout that seem affected.  Sad Girl (bridge sucks and it's an example of what I mean), WC, SoC, Black Beauty, MPG, and FMUTTP are the only ones I occasionally come back to, with Sad Girl probably being the most.  :-\ 

u6pq4c9.gif

From the looks of this forum this is probably going to be the most unpopular opinion but I have never ever listened to a Lana song I hate OTL I love all of her work, just not equally ._.

Another unpopular opinion: Put Me In A Movie is the best song on LDR AKA LG and the demo is the penultimate Lana song.

I hear you.

:)

From the looks of this forum this is probably going to be the most unpopular opinion but I have never ever listened to a Lana song I hate OTL I love all of her work, just not equally ._.

IMG_20140716_101607.jpg