Sitar

Unpopular Lana Opinions

my guess is, by that point, the shock value kind of wore off and it was no longer trendy to be all on her dick regarding "persona" and "glamorizing abuse" and whatever tf else they used to pester her about.Β 

Β 

i was about to assume it was that too. it got old to the general public by that point and it was sort of redundant to try and criticize all of her songs. also the blow job/praying comparison has been done before by madonna anyways

Β 157852e4da9ff5b7ec834e7a2eac795d.gif

people always talk about her early lyrics being too clingy and submissive, and talk about songs like video games, off to the races, ultraviolence, etc.

Β 

why does no one talk about religion?? those lyrics are fucking disgusting (and i love it). literally worshipping a man like a god, and not-so-subtly comparing sucking dick to prayer/worship

Β 

dont get me wrong its brilliant and top 5 on honeymoon, but i'm surprised that song wasn't more controversial.Β 

Β 

my guess is, by that point, the shock value kind of wore off and it was no longer trendy to be all on her dick regarding "persona" and "glamorizing abuse" and whatever tf else they used to pester her about.Β 

Β 

Some fans on this very forum are still on her dick for that, for real yeah it's problematic, but at some point you realize that these are just lyrics and you grow out of that. I've said it on another thread, I'm pretty sure even Lana finds some of that earlier lyricism/persona to be cringe. Like she now vehemently denies needing a person in her music, and also refuses to sing 'Ultraviolence' as well as 'Cola' and even cringes on stage singing certain lyrics in 'Gods & Monsters'.

Β 

I reckon there's been tremendous growth on her part these past couple of years.

i think enjoying a persons music is different to being in a forum literally dedicated to them. you don’t see my ass running to azealia boards bc anna wintour was a bop.

and you don't see my ass saying i hate every fibre of lana's being either so what now... it's literally a discussion forumΒ 

people always talk about her early lyrics being too clingy and submissive, and talk about songs like video games, off to the races, ultraviolence, etc.

Β 

why does no one talk about religion?? those lyrics are fucking disgusting (and i love it). literally worshipping a man like a god, and not-so-subtly comparing sucking dick to prayer/worship

Β 

dont get me wrong its brilliant and top 5 on honeymoon, but i'm surprised that song wasn't more controversial.Β 

Β 

the trend of bashing lana basically died off by 2015 i guess...

Lana Del Rey Honeymoon GIF

the trend of bashing lana basically died off by 2015 i guess...

Β 

are you sure about that

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

I think that the thing with Religion -as with all that album, sadly- is that no one payed attention to it from a deep perspective. Anyway, I think that the song isn't as problematic as the ones you highlighted. The fact that she depicts a blowjob or a very intense romantic experience (and in a truly beautiful and poetic way) doesn't come necessary as submisive, I think, when the mysoginist narrative is quite explicit in many other of her songs.

im in a pissy mood rn and im gonna regret posting this cause i know y'all are gonna come for my neck now but i am SO sick of seeing stans act like Lanas a poor victim of the vicious relentless force of "cancel culture". the instagram rant is old news but i still see comments like this all the time.

Β 

Β  sis has been racially insensitive since her debut. Changed her name to spanish to feel exotic, put on a "ghetto" "gangsta" act and fake accent for BTD, continued to exploit the "Exoticness" of hispanic culture in Tropico as well as associating it with poverty, kept going at the hispanic act through out ultraviolence lyrics, wore a native headdress in ride. when azealia called out her white feminism she had no other response than "im gonna fuck you up", dated a cop, defended him saying he's "not like the other cops". And after the instagram post she accuses the people who had a problem with it (mostly POC) of just being hyper reactive liberals and trump supporters, she didn't have any issue with the offence it caused POC and only got mad that she was being accused of being racist, once again showing how unwilling she is to learn

Β 

"cancel culture" isn't just coming at her for drama. she's not a victim of it.Β  if anything shes a testament to how easy it is to be white and ignorant, never have to have any accountability, and still have a fan base that gives you the benefit of the doubt. hell, we shoulda known her blissful ignorance to POC issues the second she said "i believe in the country america used to be"

Β 

Β 

Judging from the comments on the previous page, I know people seem to think this is "case closed, love her or leave" but these are important points to raise.Β 

I'm glad I'm not the only fan, YES FAN, that can criticize her problematic decisions and still love the art, even if I'd treat it differently if I was introduced to it again.

Β 

This is why I keep a close eye on her learning curve, which is rather extremely slow lmao.Β 

I don't want to see her change her stage name or delete the Tropico and Ride videos, I just wanna see her admit she could have done better and move on.

I want her to fucking learn, and she's not going to learn if she can't acknowledge that her past choices might have gotten her a grand image, but was appropriating on multiple levels.Β 

We literallyΒ can talk about this without being anti-lana del rey, because that's why we are on this forum lol

Β 

Edit: also, these are things we've let go because we didn't talk about this as much in 2012-2014. But now, if someone was trying the things Lana did back then, they'd get cancelled before their career even began

Judging from the comments on the previous page, I know people seem to think this is "case closed, love her or leave" but these are important points to raise.Β 

I'm glad I'm not the only fan, YES FAN, that can criticize her problematic decisions and still love the art, even if I'd treat it differently if I was introduced to it again.

Β 

This is why I keep a close eye on her learning curve, which is rather extremely slow lmao.Β 

I don't want to see her change her stage name or delete the Tropico and Ride videos, I just wanna see her admit she could have done better and move on.

I want her to fucking learn, and she's not going to learn if she can't acknowledge that her past choices might have gotten her a grand image, but was appropriating on multiple levels.Β 

We literallyΒ can talk about this without being anti-lana del rey, because that's why we are on this forum lol

i don't know why this is hard to grasp for some but it's true it's true

this isn't an opinion, moreso a question-

Β 

but why is terrence loves you called terrence loves you? who tf is terrence?

Β 

I'm not sure why she referenced him here, makes sense with the extrapolation of the "Ground control to Major Tom" lyrics. But Terrence actually references Terry Burns, David Bowie's brother who died somewhat young.

Β 

I've always thought of the song as a sort of hommage to both David and his brother.

Does anyone maybe think she has Pretty When YOU Cry as the title instead of Pretty When I Cry because she didn't want to straight up tell people she romanticises being depressed?Β  :lmao:

Cause idk but I'm much happier with the title being You instead of I regardless

Β 

Oops I always forget if I'm in the Random Lana Discussion or Unpopular Opinions thread

Does anyone maybe think she has Pretty When YOU Cry as the title instead of Pretty When I Cry because she didn't want to straight up tell people she romanticises being depressed?Β  :lmao:

Β 

Oops I always forget if I'm in the Random Lana Discussion or Unpopular Opinions thread

i always thought of it as her man telling her "you're pretty when you cry" but sung from her perspective after hearing those types of remarks

Lana Del Rey Honeymoon GIF

Sometimes it just sounds like you guys are criticizing Tony Montana for his behavior and morals and not stepping back to see or understand/appreciate the masterpiece that Brian De Palma created as Scarface

UbsOye5.png

i always thought of it as her man telling her "you're pretty when you cry" but sung from her perspective after hearing those types of remarks

Β 

Must admit I'd never really focused on the meaning of the chorus, compared the verses. With the satire in MPG, FMWUTTT, and also previously in Cola, I thought PWYC could have been similar, but obviously with some truth

Sometimes it just sounds like you guys are criticizing Tony Montana for his behavior and morals and not stepping back to see or understand/appreciate the masterpiece that Brian De Palma created as Scarface

Well the difference between Tony Montana and Ms Grant is that she is, for the most part, not a fictional character.

locals only

Β 

Β 

i feel like all of ultraviolence has a tad bit of self aware irony in it. a sort of "fuck you" to the criticism she got on born to dieΒ 

i feel like all of ultraviolence has a tad bit of self aware irony in it. a sort of "fuck you" to the criticism she got on born to dieΒ 

Β 

I don't think it was a tad bit lol, most of the record was a big fuck you to her most fervent critics.Β 

Β 

i considered it to be about an abusive relationship where the man objectifies her sadness. sort of showing how she's totally emotionally and spiritually invested in the relationship, but he only cares about superficial things like sex, drugs, money, looking pretty, etc

I don't think it was a tad bit lol, most of the record was a big fuck you to her most fervent critics.Β 

Β 

by tad bit i mean aside from the obvious satirical songs like FMWUTT, even songs that most people wouldn't consider satirical have a bit of irony in them,Β  like the title track has lyrics that are intentionally so over the top and melodramatic. "he hit me and it felt like a kiss"

by tad bit i mean aside from the obvious satirical songs like FMWUTT, even songs that most people wouldn't consider satirical have a bit of irony in them,Β  like the title track has lyrics that are intentionally so over the top and melodramatic. "he hit me and it felt like a kiss"

Β 

Agree, but I meant like 'Brooklyn Baby' and 'Money Power Glory' are both tracks that directly attacked these critics. In the first one, the line "they judged me like a picture book, like the colours like they forgot to read" is pretty self explanatory. In the latter, it's clear that the song is ironic as a whole, like she got back ironically at those critics that claimed that's all she wanted when she came on the scene with her new name and whatnot.