Sitar

Unpopular Lana Opinions

Well the difference between Tony Montana and Ms Grant is that she is, for the most part, not a fictional character.

That's exactly my point. Elizabeth Grant is to Lana Del Rey as Al Pacino is to Tony Montana. Maybe it's a little harder for people to separate Lana because she also wrote/created this and isn't just someone hired for a portrayal, but surely you can't tell me you thought the Ride video was a documentary

UbsOye5.png

That's exactly my point. Elizabeth Grant is to Lana Del Rey as Al Pacino is to Tony Montana. Maybe it's a little harder for people to separate Lana because she also wrote/created this and isn't just someone hired for a portrayal, but surely you can't tell me you thought the Ride video was a documentary

You can't just call out her entire fanbase like that

Obviously I don't. Given the lack of context I assumed you were talking about people criticising her racism? Would be a relief to know that's not the case.

locals only

I've read something in the last pages, and I'm not gonna comment on the other aspects of it, but as a linguist This cultural appropriation thing regarding slang or vocabulary is so Stupid and ignoranti I can't even. Listen woke snowflakes, if you had any clues about how languages change and work over time you wouldnt open such silly discussions. Borrowings, calques, contaminations are common thing in linguistics. Stop using english because 70% of its vocabulary comes from french and latin words. That's cultural appropriation, except both cultural and appropriation are romanic words.

07772f16031f371bb19c2650cab67790a3966c6d

I've read something in the last pages, and I'm not gonna comment on the other aspects of it, but as a linguist This cultural appropriation thing regarding slang or vocabulary is so Stupid and ignoranti I can't even. Listen woke snowflakes, if you had any clues about how languages change and work over time you wouldnt open such silly discussions. Borrows, calques, contaminations are common thing in linguistics. Stop using english because 70% of its vocabulary comes from french and latin words. That's cultural appropriation, except both cultural and appropriation are both romanic words.

Okay boomer <3

locals only

boomer behaviour in the midst of this thread 

Okay ignorant turd

pls. you're not special for knowing how languages develop over centuries. but theres a difference between natural cultural shifts on a massive scale and an individual white woman picking and choosing random cultural things for her aesthetic you're not seeing 

157852e4da9ff5b7ec834e7a2eac795d.gif

boomer behaviour in the midst of this thread 

pls. you're not special for knowing how languages develop over centuries. but theres a difference between natural cultural shifts on a massive scale and an individual privileged white woman picking and choosing random cultural things for her aesthetic you're not seeing

No no. We can agree on the "Del Rey" thing bit i've read things like "you can't use sis' because it comes from the black community" and this is crazy. Yes It comes from the black community but sis and other terms coming from the black community have become so popular that we even use them in Italian as loanwords. Is that cultural appropriation? Nope. It's just how languages work.

No no. We can agree on the "Del Rey" thing bit i've read things like "you can't use sis' because it comes from the black community" and this is crazy. Yes It comes from the black community but sis and other terms coming from the black community have become so popular that we even use them in Italian as loanwords. Is that cultural appropriation? Nope. It's just how languages work.

The conversation around terms being popularised by black LGBT+ ppl (usually drag queens) and the line between something being appropriation and something being popular internet slang (e.g. sis, spill the tea) is an interesting conversation, charging in saying "as a linguist you woke snowflakes need to shut up" isn't <3

locals only

Language is not the only thing that distinguishes culture. 

I can learn any language I want but still I will not be part of the culture where the language comes from, nor will I know anything about what it's like to be from that culture, or even be opressed because of it.

Okay ignorant turd

You used ignorant wrong here too. In this case, you'd be the ignorant one as you are completely denying the existence and harmful effects of cultural appropriation. Don't get mad, that's just how language works. 

yeah but i'm not even talking about using slang. she literally herself said that the name was inspired by Colombians (or Cubans? i forget) and continued to push the hispanic image in her music. she also randomly decided to switch up and use certain slang when curating her "gangsta" persona. thats not the same as just speaking with slang 

157852e4da9ff5b7ec834e7a2eac795d.gif

The conversation around terms being popularised by black LGBT+ ppl (usually drag queens) and the line between something being appropriation and something being popular internet slang (e.g. sis, spill the tea) is an interesting conversation, charging in saying "as a linguist you woke snowflakes need to shut up" isn't <3

I mean you're right, but you know what? Being fake woke just for the sake of it is definetely a sign of ignorance, not contextualising is a sign of ignorance, the internet and this forum is unfortunately full of it, and it's getting extremely tiring.

I mean you're right, but you know what? Being fake woke just for the sake of it is definetely a sing of ignorance, not contextualising is a sing of ignorance, the internet and this forum is unfortunately full of it, and it's getting extremely tiring.

That's cool and all but you don't know me lmao. Racists on this forum, especially the type who call you racist for talking about racism, are the ones tiring me but each to their own I guess.

locals only

Language is not the only thing that distinguishes culture. 

I can learn any language I want but still I will not be part of the culture where the language comes from, nor will I know anything about what it's like to be from that culture, or even be opressed because of it.

You used ignorant wrong here too. In this case, you'd be the ignorant one as you are completely denying the existence and harmful effects of cultural appropriation. Don't get mad, that's just how language works.

First of all I'm not denying the effects of cultural appropriation. I don't thing you've understood what im trying to talk about. But whatever. Borrowings, calques, and loanwords are words that migrates from a languange to another. Or from a slang to another. Or from a register to another. It's a human and natural process and people can't just stop it because of cultural appropriation.

yeah but i'm not even talking about using slang. she literally herself said that the name was inspired by Colombians (or Cubans? i forget) and continued to push the hispanic image in her music. she also randomly decided to switch up and use certain slang when curating her "gangsta" persona. thats not the same as just speaking with slang

I'm not condoning Lana Del Rey

First of all I'm not denying the effects of cultural appropriation. I don't thing you've understood what im trying to talk about. But whatever. Borrowings, calques, and loanwords are words that migrates from a languange to another. Or from a slang to another. Or from a register to another. It's a human and natural process and people can't just stop it because of cultural appropriation.

Alright, if the language use is the only thing you were talking about then I get it. 

But the problem is, most people don't know when to stop. Some seriously think, for example, if eating sushi and using the word Kawaii is okay, then stealing and appropriating every aspect of Japanese culture (such as sexualising kimonos, using cultural symbols without context and throwing around the word Geisha wherever they please) is okay and not damaging. 

I just want Lana to see where the line should be drawn. 

Alright, if the language use is the only thing you were talking about then I get it. 

But the problem is, most people don't know when to stop. Some seriously think, for example, if eating sushi and using the word Kawaii is okay, then stealing and appropriating every aspect of Japanese culture (such as sexualising kimonos, using cultural symbols without context and throwing around the word Geisha wherever they please) is okay and not damaging. 

Stealing every aspect of the Japanese culture Is cultural appropriation. Words like sushi, kimono, kawaii entering into a languange vocabulary in order to cover gaps in definying certain concepts is not.

If I recall correctly Lana was asked about cultural appropriation when she did this video interview with Complex magazine back in 2017, can't recall what she said though. But I'm sure she'd be willing to admit where she was wrong, if she was given the opportunity. Also, I feel like her giving proceeds to Native foundations in the US is a form of reparation after she wore the headdress for the Ride music video, I could be wrong though.

If I recall correctly Lana was asked about cultural appropriation when she did this video interview with Complex magazine back in 2017, can't recall what she said though. But I'm sure she'd be willing to admit where she was wrong, if she was given the opportunity. Also, I feel like her giving proceeds to Native foundations in the US is a form of reparation after she wore the headdress for the Ride music video, I could be wrong though.

I remember that, and I'm pretty sure she dodged the question and rambled on about something else like she usually does lol. The question was probably posed to give her a chance to admit her past bad decisions but she obviously didn't take it. 

And that would be nice if it's true about the poetry book proceeds. But I suspect she's avoiding that specification because she doesn't want it brought up again. 

In my eyes, the way she changed her name is definitely NOT cultural appropriation, because it’s not as if she went with a super Latina sounding name like María Rodriguez or something, Lana and Del Rey, while Spanish words, are not common Hispanic names, really

Hell, I Suppose if You Stick Around Long Enough, They Have to Say Something Nice About You

i think the only thing about cultural appropriation was a comparison of summer bummer with katy perry and miley cyrus being culture vultures (saying that lana's collabs with black artists felt natural and appropriate)

Lana Del Rey Honeymoon GIF