Sitar

Unpopular Lana Opinions

people always talk about her early lyrics being too clingy and submissive, and talk about songs like video games, off to the races, ultraviolence, etc.

why does no one talk about religion?? those lyrics are fucking disgusting (and i love it). literally worshipping a man like a god, and not-so-subtly comparing sucking dick to prayer/worship

dont get me wrong its brilliant and top 5 on honeymoon, but i'm surprised that song wasn't more controversial.

my guess is, by that point, the shock value kind of wore off and it was no longer trendy to be all on her dick regarding "persona" and "glamorizing abuse" and whatever tf else they used to pester her about.

She explained in an interview that Religion is, in fact, about her passion for singing, although it is easy to make it about a man.

Anyways, I always saw her songs about “a moment in time”: we all moments of dark despair or incredible feeling of love for someone. It doesn’t mean that these feelings will last, but her songs are all about those moments.

I don't know if that's unpopular, but often times when people mention their favourite songs off 'NFR!' I rarely see the title track. Granted, this is not my favourite album and I don't particularly like the production here (nor the opening line), but there is something very dreamy about the title track. I grew to actually love this song and it's honestly become one of my favourites from the album.

"You make me bluuuuuuuue, bluuuuuuuue" :legend:

I agree with you. I love NFR, it is in my top albums from her, but the title track is not my fave, probably because there are grander songs on the album, and we got used to grandeur and majesty when it comes to her title tracks. However, the songs snaps in its subtleties: the musical intro, the opening line, the chorus and the high notes at the end are all wow moments.

The song hits me when I am with “man-childs” (which happened recently) and her “Goddamn” feels so fucking good to sing out loud. It’s an underrated gem.

Based on the songs we heard so far, when it comes a piano-only ballad, Rick creates richer piano melodies than Jack. Don’t get me wrong: I love Jack’s production, but piano for piano, his songs (Hope, Love Song), are not as rich as Rick’s (Change, White Mustang, Bartender, and LFL and Summer Bummer - I think he got involved with the last two, with the piano).

Based on the songs we heard so far, when it comes a piano-only ballad, Rick creates richer piano melodies than Jack. Don’t get me wrong: I love Jack’s production, but piano for piano, his songs (Hope, Love Song), are not as rich as Rick’s (Change, White Mustang, Bartender, and LFL and Summer Bummer - I think he got involved with the last two, with the piano).

rick also with is this happiness and terrence loves you! two of her best piano ballads

Lana Del Rey Honeymoon GIF

So I've been wondering (and this isn't to sound ignorant, just a genuine curiosity), let's say Lana married a Spanish man and took his Spanish last name, would that not be considered cultural appropriation?

no... that’s not what cultural appropriation is

no... that’s not what cultural appropriation is

Yeah..I've been going over it in my head and I agree (my bad). I was just a bit confused but realise my mistake 

♡  standing stoic blue and denim, eyes not blue but clear like heaven 

Not all hispanics are poc so why are y’all acting like that makes her racist, plus she is pretty popular in latin america and spain. I feel like ppl who live in the usa are the main ones complaining about her “appropriating” hispanic culture

Then there's the fact that Cholo and lowrider subculture, are just a subculture popular within chicanos (Mexican-Americans). It's not latino culture or Mexican culture in general. My parents (native purepecha father and mestiza/castiza mother both born and raised in Mexico) didn't even know what cholos were until they came to the US.

But apparently, the cholo/a thing has quite a number of admirers and followers in Japan.  :P

:sluttybunny:🌧️

Then there's the fact that Cholo and lowrider subculture, are just a subculture popular within chicanos (Mexican-Americans). It's not latino culture or Mexican culture in general. My parents (native purepecha father and mestiza/castiza mother both born and raised in Mexico) didn't even know what cholos were until they came to the US.

But apparently, the cholo/a thing has quite a number of admirers and followers in Japan.  :P

Wow, I didn't know that but yeah, I agree with you. I live in South America and here if you say "cholo/a" the first image that crosses your mind is that of Bolivian women/men in their typical attire that obviously has nothing to do with the American cholos/cholas.

5fe355eac0b664d0bc39e10665a55b42.gif

She's a gorgeous narcissist and she knows it.

She explained in an interview that Religion is, in fact, about her passion for singing, although it is easy to make it about a man.

Anyways, I always saw her songs about “a moment in time”: we all moments of dark despair or incredible feeling of love for someone. It doesn’t mean that these feelings will last, but her songs are all about those moments.

Wow that is fascinating. I can't believe I missed that interview because that makes one of my favourite honeymoon songs completely different to how I took it.

It reminds me of people speculating that Ultraviolence was about an abusive relationship with alcohol, but then she said in an interview that it literally was a physical relationship, or multiple, with men. 

And yes I've always believed that about her songs too. That's why I never actually saw her as an icon of sadness or anything like that, and just thought it was moments of strong emotion that motivated her to write.

Are you serious Japan?

rick also with is this happiness and terrence loves you! two of her best piano ballads

Can't believe how many people dislike Happiness. It's one of her best songs.

There's a lot to discuss and criticise about Lana (most notably her wearing that headdress in the Ride video), but complaining about the name "Lana Del Rey" itself and the fact that she uses some Spanish in a couple of her songs? Please. I hope those of you who are so bothered by this never accidentally listen to La Isla Bonita by Madonna, I wouldn't want y'all to have a heart attack. And wait till you find out about Gwen Stefani's Harajuku Girls, or even the actual Japanese Harajuku style/culture in general... oh wow!

73-wigglytuffhiya.gif

There's a lot to discuss and criticise about Lana (most notably her wearing that headdress in the Ride video), but complaining about the name "Lana Del Rey" itself and the fact that she uses some Spanish in a couple of her songs? Please. I hope those of you who are so bothered by this never accidentally listen to La Isla Bonita by Madonna, I wouldn't want y'all to have a heart attack. And wait till you find out about Gwen Stefani's Harajuku Girls, or even the actual Japanese Harajuku style/culture in general... oh wow!

gwen didn't change her name to kiko yakuza and dye her hair jet straight black and then write lyrics like 'he's japanese just like me' and 'you like your women japanese' 

157852e4da9ff5b7ec834e7a2eac795d.gif

Elizabeth Woolridge is such a great name though. "Lana" and "Del Rey" is common names where I'm from. I know 5 real life "Del Rey" (3 Mexicans, 1 Argentinian and 1 Colombian) and 6 Lana's. 

It was hilarious that some people thought Lana was Cuban or Mexican after the Ride music video came out.  :thumb3:

Elizabeth Woolridge is such a great name though. "Lana" and "Del Rey" is common names where I'm from. I know 5 real life "Del Rey" (3 Mexicans, 1 Argentinian and 1 Colombian) and 6 Lana's. 

It was hilarious that some people thought Lana was Cuban or Mexican after the Ride music video came out.  :thumb3:

May Jailer might have worked. idk if the name elizabeth would do well in the entertainment industry. It just sounds sort of out dated. I know a lot of celebrities named elizabeth but they all use stage names

157852e4da9ff5b7ec834e7a2eac795d.gif

gwen didn't change her name to kiko yakuza and dye her hair jet straight black and then write lyrics like 'he's japanese just like me' and 'you like your women japanese' 

this is sending me  :lange: i actually thoughts lana was hispanic for so long when i just listened to her and didn't know much about her as a person 

Liz Woolridge would be such a cool stage name it sounds very vintage perfect for lana's image during her debut

i love you, but you don't understand me.

the name "lana del rey" is perfect and i don't really see anything wrong with it.

the recurring chola imagery is definitely off tho. nothing wrong with hoop earings and eye liner but she def over did it and played up some sort of exoticism/racial ambiguity. and her constantly-evolving accent didn't help either lol.

tenor.gif?itemid=9308137

let's be real, all you bitches wanna look like me