Sitar

Unpopular Lana Opinions

In my eyes, the way she changed her name is definitely NOT cultural appropriation, because it’s not as if she went with a super Latina sounding name like María Rodriguez or something, Lana and Del Rey, while Spanish words, are not common Hispanic names, really

Doesn't lana mean 'wool' in Spanish? I doubt there are many Spanish/Hispanic women that are called Lana in their native country if true lol. Besides, pretty sure she took the name Lana because of the famous old Hollywood actress Lana Turner and the 'Del Rey', while a spanish sounding name, was borrowed from the car Ford 'Del Rey', which had been commercialized by the American company in Brazil during the 80s. 

Obviously I don't. Given the lack of context I assumed you were talking about people criticising her racism? Would be a relief to know that's not the case.

my bad for not giving more context, I had more written but deleted it bc I’m tired so it was kind of convoluted. I was talking about the criticism she got for musical themes, which ironically (not really tho, it’s clear she was heavily influenced by this film) a lot of them can be traced back to Scarface. Not sure how Scarface could be interpreted as condoning Lana’s racism, unless you think that I think the treatment of Cuban refugees was just fine and that I completely missed the point of the movie

UbsOye5.png

i know she‘s not dutch but she should just rename herself to Lana van Rey to keep the meaning of del Rey which was discussed to desth on this board countless times already

i76mrxw.png 

idk why y'all are talking about the name like it's the only issue! it's not, its just an example, a little piece of evidence that shows the kind of person she is.  i dont actually care about the name, i don't want her to just change it just for the sake of being politically correct, i'm not asking her to make any kind of gesture, do anything, i just want her to genuinely change as a person. i want her to be open minded and educate herself about POC issues.  and P.S purely the name isn't why i'm saying she has a thing for appropriating hispanic culture, it's part of it, but it's not the only thing Mrs. "y cubano como yo" has shown

so y'all can stop nitpicking at the little details and look at the bigger picture. she's an ignorant white woman who does not understand nor care, that's the issue. not the name

157852e4da9ff5b7ec834e7a2eac795d.gif

I don't know if that's unpopular, but often times when people mention their favourite songs off 'NFR!' I rarely see the title track. Granted, this is not my favourite album and I don't particularly like the production here (nor the opening line), but there is something very dreamy about the title track. I grew to actually love this song and it's honestly become one of my favourites from the album. 

"You make me bluuuuuuuue, bluuuuuuuue:legend:

yeah but i'm not even talking about using slang. she literally herself said that the name was inspired by Colombians (or Cubans? i forget) and continued to push the hispanic image in her music. she also randomly decided to switch up and use certain slang when curating her "gangsta" persona. thats not the same as just speaking with slang 

White girl playing a chola 

0dd361489c07da2d8b082d13896d056f.jpg

The real deal

62f5afad32bdf7e1efd340fa65d02bfb.jpg

Also problematic

cb5bf2504f5b296e6991dd119b1680f1.png

Also problematic

cb5bf2504f5b296e6991dd119b1680f1.png

ugh and the thing  she did a lot of volunteer work in her past on native reserves. so i'm wondering how she can experience all that and still think wearing a headdress is appropriate

"So unless you are a native male from a Plains nation who has earned a headdress, or you have been given permission to wear one (sort of like being presented with an honorary degree), then you will have a very difficult time making a case for how wearing one is anything other than disrespectful, now that you know these things. If you choose to be disrespectful, please do not be surprised when people are offended… regardless of why you think you are entitled to do this."

I feel like ppl who live in the usa are the main ones complaining about her “appropriating” hispanic culture

uh yeah? cause thats where poc are marginalized by white people. poc outside of white majority countries don't have a lot of reason to care about what happens here since they're not even affected by it

Did u choose not to read the first part of my post or what

i read it but didn't say anything cause i already said it before. y'all keep micro analyzing the example of the name and not seeing the bigger picture. it's just an example of the behavior she shows, not the worst of it

and i didn't even say it made her a racist. thats such a buzz word

i read it but didn't say anything cause i already said it before. y'all keep micro analyzing the example of the name and not seeing the bigger picture

The bigger picture is that you're looking to be offended on something that happened circa 2012-13, like what does it do to call her out on this now 7 or 8 years later? The headdress in the 'Ride' music video, Lana portraying a chola woman in 'Tropico' and I would even add her trying to be hispanic with not only her name, but with certain lyrics as well as her earlier/daddy issues or submissive attitude etc. The ethics of all of that has already been discussed and debated ad nauseam for almost a decade now.

I understand the need to educate her, because I'll be the first to say that she is socially unaware on certain very important current issues and what they imply, as well as being a poor verbal communicator and obviously tone deaf.

We are at crossroads in these day and age. There's definitely a need for immediate social change. But there are stuff some of y'all need to let go geez.

The bigger picture is that you're looking to be offended on something that happened circa 2012-13, like what does it do to call her out on this now 7 or 8 years later? The headdress in the 'Ride' music video, Lana portraying a chola woman in 'Tropico' and I would even add her trying to be hispanic with not only her name, but with certain lyrics as well as her earlier/daddy issues or submissive attitude etc. The ethics of all of that has already been discussed and debated ad nauseam for almost a decade now.

I understand the need to educate her, because we are at crossroads these day and age. But there are stuff some of y'all need to let go geez.

Ahem. the bigger picture is she does not give a shit about poc issues, never has, and is completely unwilling to learn. if you look at my first comment again i wrote about how this behavior has continued pretty consistently up to her IG post a few months ago and her response following it. i know she never will learn at this point, i'm just talking about it cause i  can't stand seeing people defend this behavior and keep shooting down criticisms. if stans acknowledged what is and isn't acceptable, acknowledged her for the flaws but still enjoyed the art that would be one thing. but it's just not whats happening

I legit acknowledged that she is not only flawed, but also tone deaf and completely oblivious and unaware on important current issues/societal problems, has a track record of problematic/less than smart behaviour in her lyricism/narrative, visuals, overall art, on top of being a very poor verbal communicator. All of that.

But go off.

I legit acknowledged that she is not only flawed, but also tone deaf and completely oblivious and unaware on important current issues/societal problems, has a track record of problematic/less than smart behaviour in her lyricism/narrative, visuals, overall art, on top of being a very poor verbal communicator. All of that.

But go off.

then in that case you in particular are not included in the group of people im referring to, who make up the majority of the fan base 

I'm not sure why she referenced him here, makes sense with the extrapolation of the "Ground control to Major Tom" lyrics. But Terrence actually references Terry Burns, David Bowie's brother who died somewhat young.

I've always thought of the song as a sort of hommage to both David and his brother.

I just wanted to add to this because I feel like there are so many connections. First off, Terry had lots of mental health issues growing up and David looked up to him so much but also feared “going crazy” like him. He became his main muse in his art (he became obsessed with “madness” too). By the time Terry passed, they hadn’t seen each other in years and David was crushed and couldn’t even go to the funeral because of the attention he’d bring. So that was a really rough loss for him. So I personally always connected the song to Lana’s ex who died, since he is a muse of hers and she likely didn’t see him for awhile before his death and it likely affected her in a similar way.

(Also idk if it’s another connection, but the song Space Oddity as a whole is seen as a bit of a metaphor for doing heroin, so the addition of the lyrics from that song could possibly be related to that.)

75db99d920c2ca66a0ee7e5c2de27df4181ca688

In my eyes, the way she changed her name is definitely NOT cultural appropriation, because it’s not as if she went with a super Latina sounding name like María Rodriguez or something, Lana and Del Rey, while Spanish words, are not common Hispanic names, really

Meanwhile she has the name Maria Estela picked out for her future daughter :teehee: 

---

So I've been wondering (and this isn't to sound ignorant, just a genuine curiosity), let's say Lana married a Spanish man and took his Spanish last name, would that not be considered cultural appropriation? 

♡  standing stoic blue and denim, eyes not blue but clear like heaven 

Doesn't lana mean 'wool' in Spanish? I doubt there are many Spanish/Hispanic women that are called Lana in their native country if true lol. Besides, pretty sure she took the name Lana because of the famous old Hollywood actress Lana Turner and the 'Del Rey', while a spanish sounding name, was borrowed from the car Ford 'Del Rey', which had been commercialized by the American company in Brazil during the 80s.

Idk why this Lana specifically chose the name “Lana” but the name was originally created for Lana Turner by Louis B. Mayer, so it’s definitely not cultural appropriation. (It was first spelled Lonna to rhyme with Donna but then they settled on spelling it Lana.) So a white person came up with the name for another white person. It’s just a Hollywood name.

Also I just want to point out that the name Maria isn't exclusive to the hispanic community, it's popular in places like the Netherlands, Italy, South Africa etc for hundreds of years

♡  standing stoic blue and denim, eyes not blue but clear like heaven 

Also I just want to point out that the name Maria isn't exclusive to the hispanic community, it's popular in places like the Netherlands, Italy, South Africa etc for hundreds of years

Yeah that’s my mum’s name and my grandmother’s name and they’re just Irish Catholics. It’s just a super religious name. Never saw it as appropriation since Christianity is kinda dominant and can’t technically be appropriated.