Real Deal

BANKS

honestly I took "Holding Back" from Serpentina and ran. I kinda warmed up to The Devil but it took sort of a long time. There are maybe 2 others songs I quite like but not enough to remember the names and I feel like that says a lot...but I'm also not a huge fan of III.

Now The Altar & Goddess... a mastermind.

Serpentina - EP

1. Misunderstood
  2. Holding Back
  3. The Devil
  4. Skinnydipped
  5. Meteorite
  6. Burn
  7. Deadend
  8. I Still Love You
  9. Birds By the Sea Japanese bonus track

:true: 

"I'm wild, I'm free, no man can handle me"

:lanahairflip2:

I don’t understand the Serpentina hate. Honestly every song is typical Banks style (just a bit more auto tune and distortion than III). 

My only complaint is Holding Back has that pitched section that replays like 4 times that I wish wasn’t pitched but whatever. Spirit is on the lower end as well of overall Banks tracks but it still fits with the project.

idk I’d love to hear what others think

Also it’s is a crime that Misunderstood is so short when it clearly is one of her best tracks ever

7 minutes ago, stompinggroundstan said:

I don’t understand the Serpentina hate. Honestly every song is typical Banks style (just a bit more auto tune and distortion than III). 

My only complaint is Holding Back has that pitched section that replays like 4 times that I wish wasn’t pitched but whatever. Spirit is on the lower end as well of overall Banks tracks but it still fits with the project.

idk I’d love to hear what others think

Also it’s is a crime that Misunderstood is so short when it clearly is one of her best tracks ever

I think I've said this before but the only two songs I don't really enjoy from that album are Fuck Love and Spirit. I also find Anything 4 U very skippable, but the other 10 I actually enjoy, and Meteorite, Holding Back and Deadend I really love.

It's not like I don't skip tracks on other albums (Stick, Fuck with Myself, Look What You're Doing to Me are mandatory skips to me).

8 hours ago, Glitter Boy said:

Serpentina - EP

1. Misunderstood
  2. Holding Back
  3. The Devil
  4. Skinnydipped
  5. Meteorite
  6. Burn
  7. Deadend
  8. I Still Love You

a 4 track ep would be more than fair to me:yawn:

my truth about serpentina is: the songs have a very poor production, her voice in most of them sucks (i really don't like when she makes this nasal voice all the time) and the lyrics are not so interesting like in the old songs. i was really happy when she released the devil, because somehow it reminded me how good the ''fuck with myself'' days were. i didn't like skinnydipped at first, but everything went worse aftrer ''i still love you''. even iii wasn't so good to me, to be honest - the mastering is one of the worst i've ever heard, sometimes i feel like my headphones/speakers are going to explode lol but the album is good btw. anyway, that is my opinion. i'm a goddess/the altar girl and i really miss how incredible and creative she was back then and you can call me stucked because it's true.

7qhp.gif

8 hours ago, Glitter Boy said:

Serpentina - EP

1. Misunderstood
  2. Holding Back
  3. The Devil
  4. Skinnydipped
  5. Meteorite
  6. Burn
  7. Deadend
  8. I Still Love You

This would definitely work for me (minus Holding back lol)

I'd take I Still Love You as a good album closer too. It could be my favourite Banks piano ballad. 

1 hour ago, landeath said:

iii wasn't so good to me, to be honest - the mastering is one of the worst i've ever heard, sometimes i feel like my headphones/speakers are going to explode lol but the album is good btw. anyway, that is my opinion. i'm a goddess/the altar girl and i really miss how incredible and creative she was back then and you can call me stucked because it's true.

I agree with III being a mess with the mastering. It's totally possible to have rough sounds without adjusting them to make my ears bleed (Till Now I'm looking at you!). The album really didn't need to do that. Even in parts of some of the better sounding songs, like Gimme, it still hurts my ears a bit. 

I always think of Goddess as so smooth, while the Altar introduced the roughness perfectly. So even tho iii is a great album, it really still doesn't compare to how good the first two were in every way. Vocals on iii are a bit messed up as well.

Skinnydipped sounds too short for me. It should've been a longer track. Holding Back is kind of a fun song, but it builds up for no reason. Idk, i don't think it does much or goes anywhere. The Devil seems randomly placed. It doesn't really belong with this album at all imo. I don't care for the beginning of Meteorite. it sounds like it should've been kept for finer tuning or something. Fuck Love is fine, I guess. It isn't bad, it's not great. Kinda middle of the road. Deadend... I like her ballads, idc. Unleavable is good, I like that song. Anything 4 U sounds like she's trying to scratch the same itch Fuck With Myself did with it's instrumental? I think? Idk, the instrumental is just weird. It has this weird scratchy guitar pluck sound and then a random beat comes in. It isn't bad but I just don't understand what she was trying to do with it. Spirit could've been scrapped. i just don't care for collabs with her and it isn't his voice, it's just a weird track. I didn't like her earlier collabs either, like Look What You're Doing To Me. I hope a solo version of that leaks :P

giphy.gif

if i fuck this model and she just bleached her asshole and i get bleach on my t-shirt, imma feel like an asshole

I just feel sorry for all the Serpentina haters who aren’t aware that three of her best ballads/mid-tempos are on there (Burn / Birds By The Sea / Unleavable) :true: :true:

Burn in particular is without a doubt one of her best songs ever

10 hours ago, Glitter Boy said:

Serpentina - EP

1. Misunderstood
  2. Holding Back
  3. The Devil
  4. Skinnydipped
  5. Meteorite
  6. Burn
  7. Deadend
  8. I Still Love You

This is very solid. 

Or a 9 track album with that tracklist and then a deluxe version with the rest of the tracks. I'm sure most people won't get that upset if the worst tracks of the album were bonus tracks. 

Hikaru Utada • BANKS • Rina Sawayama • Aly & AJ • MARINA • Björk • Kate Bush • Marion Ravn • Carly Rae Jepsen •
Hilary Duff • Charli XCX • The Cardigans • Mitski • Phoebe Bridgers • Allie X • Caroline Polachek • Meg & Dia • Dia Frampton • Olivia Lufkin • Poppy • Grimes • Melanie Martinez • Lana Del Rey • Bat for Lashes • Ayumi Hamasaki  • Paramore • Hayley Williams • Evanescence/Amy Lee • ACO • LIGHTS • Alexz Johnson • Avril Lavigne • Florrie • Flyleaf/Lacey Sturm • Tove Lo • Sky Ferreira • HANA • Daine • Foxes • CHVRCHES • Lorde

9 hours ago, Kurt said:

I just feel sorry for all the Serpentina haters who aren’t aware that three of her best ballads/mid-tempos are on there (Burn / Birds By The Sea / Unleavable) :true: :true:

Burn in particular is without a doubt one of her best songs ever

i so agree with this... burn is giving og banks

The way Serpentina reception is VERY polarising :oprah2: at least we all agree it's her least interesting album. Lemme replay it cause I wanna relisten though