trashtrashtrash

The Weeknd

Starboy is the best album since Trilogy imo

A little long but individually all the tracks are amazing and I love that his embracing a new electro sound while still making bangers

Nothing Without You is the only track that I plain dislike

Oh and Stargirl Interlude >>>>>>>>>>>> Prisoner

Now I wanna hear a whole album of Lana with Doc McKinney as main producer even more, I had a suspicion they would work well together :oprah:

After three listens I'm super disappointed with it as a whole. All the Max Martin songs sound exactly the same and are super boring. He needs to drop this whole synth-pop act, I get that it's getting him his coins and all but the music is just really generic and lacking. The album isn't bad, but its just super transparent that half the album is just cheap shots at hoping to get a radio hit. Even the majority of the Doc McKinney tracks are really uninteresting. After listening to it several times sober and high, the only tracks I would ever come back to are Part Monster, Sidewalks, and Die for You. He really needs to get back with Illangelo because at least with BBTM he had The Hills, Tell Your Friends, Acquainted, As You Are, and Prisoner which kind of balanced out the more commercial attempts on the album. And he can't really use the excuse that the Max Martin tracks are what make him money because The Hills was not radio friendly at all and still went #1

the album as a whole drags on and half the songs sound exactly the same. 

The only songs that have really got my attention so far are Party Monster, Starboy, Stargirl Interlude, False Alarm, Sidewalks and I Feel It Coming. The rest are pretty mediocre in my view... might grow on me though 

The whole discussion about Abel going pop is very interesting, and I'm involved in it on another forum as well.

I think a lot of old fans (including myself) had a hard time accepting that Abel wanted to go mainstream. We cried for Illangelo to come back, then when he didn't restore Trilogy Abel, we cried for Doc McKinney to come back, but he couldn't do it either. Now I've seen people in all seriousness ask for Jeremy Rose

Abel is interested in making pop/mainstream music, so he's gonna do that regardless of the producers he work with. After I accepted that, it was a lot easier for me to appreciate Starboy for what it is: A very good, well produced mainstream record. Sure it's too long and some of the fillers could go, but the tracks are really good individually.

I hope The Weeknd one day returns to a more experimental/indie approach, but until then I'm not gonna deprive myself if some quality pop music ☺

True Colors

A Lonely Night

Ordinary Life

Nothing Without You

All I Know

Die For You

All garbage and should have been cut

DZ8r8Jpn.gif

the album is okay but sounds way too samey to me, more than half the songs are forgettable even after repeated listens. House of Balloons days are truly dead and gone...

my fave songs are Six Feet Under, False Alarm, Ordinary Life, Starboy & obv Stargirl.

So uh, either these are really good covers or this YouTube channel has uploaded a few Starboy demos? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWpeJXyyDvQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSpqBuG2MEA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZVicHCzGn8

It's pretty clearly not actually Abel singing, but whether these are incredible covers or demos that he ended up using for the album is a little blurry, I'm not that familiar with him

X----into me, into you----X

I never got to hear them, they're already gone...

Which make me suspicious that it could actually be demos. Back when the real studio instrumentals from Trilogy, Kissland and BTTM leaked, they appeared and dissappeared from youtube a couple of times. I see a pattern  :illumilana: