National Anthem

St. Vincent

On 4/25/2024 at 7:02 PM, Psychedelic Pussy said:

and the delivery & production makes the whole song just very jarring and weird.

Well, I found it odd at first listen.

But I was thinking of Sophie’s songs / production & I kinda took this as perhaps Sophie wouldn’t want a sad ballad/something more danceable?

IMG-3521.jpg

So excited to listen 🖤 I added Broken Man to the work playlist today hehe.

Sadly the two local record shops forgot to order it in (???), does anyone know if Urban Outfitters will have the split vinyl in-store tomorrow?

1 hour ago, Veinsineon said:

Okay honestly..... these lyrics feel way less problematic to me than "Look over the edge, but not too far" :brigitte:

Honestly those lyrics lowkey make me hate that song even tho it's a bop, like you knew Sophie and all you could think of in writing a song in her remembrance is ``Oops try not to fall next time :wub:`` :toofloppy:

FUGjsXqWAAAhpYH?format=jpg&name=900x900

9 minutes ago, Rocket0212 said:

Never liked her music for some reason but damn, only 4 tracks in and it's shaping up to be one of my fave albums this year.

Have you heard Cruel, I Prefer Your Love, Fast Slow Disco & Live In The Dream?

IMG-3521.jpg

Incredible record, I can’t wait to further sit with it today. Hell Is Near, Reckless, Violent Times (!!), The Power’s Out, and All Born Screaming are my favorites so far, aside from the singles. 

It feels like she's trying really hard fo be "complicated" on this record.

Violent Times is really cool and I likeBig Time Nothing a lot. Hell Is Near has the potential to grow on me and Power's Out is ok. Rest of the album feels very jarring for the sake of it.

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

masterpiece, but the SOPHIE lyric really annoyed me. i know caroline got a lot of shit for her “look over the edge but not too far”, but they knew eachother very well and that line at least has a certain metaphor hidden in it 

I think it’s a fantastical record. The absolute chaos reigning in the songs is a very good vehicle for this nihilistic uncertainty I’ve been feeling. The feeling of wanting to cry but not sure why, the feeling of secretly wishing it would all just collapse, the feeling that something bigger is just always right around the corner. The SOPHIE nod serves almost like a folktale , something only told of legends. Preluding this moment with The Powers Out and subsequently Following the track with So Many Planets is just the key I think a lot of people are missing to unlock that concept. It’s not wrong to grieve a moment for the culture. Sweetest Fruit literally checks every stage of grief for me. I want to cry I want to dance. I want to be happy I existed and witnessed a way of life that has never been possible before. The Powers Out might be my SOTY already… it’s just amazing. I get CHILLS. I can’t explain but sometimes an artist just makes THAT song…. The last time I felt this way about a St Vincent song was Hang On Me. I love her big ass all or nothing type songs. 
6jqr4Zd.gif

TL;DR this album is like walking through streets of mayhem with a pair of earphones on and a smile on your face

my literal only gripe is that there are never enough songs on her records for me:worship: