Lana Del Rey

Last Movie You Watched?

priscilla was disappointing imo– i enjoyed watching but lead actress' performance was so one note...like i get priscilla was stifled during her marriage to elvis but...not a bad movie just nowhere near my fav of sofia coppola's. and LOADS better than most hollywood biopics which are tend to be SO schmaltzy (see oppenheimer, baz luhrman's elvis movie etc).

aOaIzH2.gif

28 minutes ago, rightofjupiter said:

priscilla was disappointing imo– i enjoyed watching but lead actress' performance was so one note...like i get priscilla was stifled during her marriage to elvis but...not a bad movie just nowhere near my fav of sofia coppola's. and LOADS better than most hollywood biopics which are tend to be SO schmaltzy (see oppenheimer, baz luhrman's elvis movie etc).

i haven't seen priscilla yet but talking about it, biopics can be a hit or a miss. for me, mostly misses. i was quite disappointed in biopics of princess diana, jackie kennedy and judy garland. while the acting can be superb (acting in biopic in general is always great because the actors do thorough work to get into the character who was a real person, it's like something you can't take as a joke) but the plot can be also very, very boring. the plot just stayed there for me, quite motionless. last year's elvis movie was disappointing for me too, it was like exaggerated and too glitzy (but again, the acting was great). biopics tend to be overglamourized or -romanticized too. so yeah, my point is that biopics (in hollywood, idk really about european or asian biopics) are mostly underwhelming or exaggerated. for me, a perfect biopic is which covers like everything in detail - life, career, love, ups and downs, family but in a very realistic way. once something is fictionalized, it's not a real biopic (and honestly...i really haven't seen one like that :rollin:)

url%5D

Killers of the flower moon. It's good. As good as oppenheimer. Perhaps more relevant, given the situation with the white men (us, uk etc) killing the indiginous people of palestine right now with the whole world watching idily

just watched blade runner and i’m a little disappointed 

everyone else i follow on letterboxd gave it 4s & 5s and i fear i had to settle for a 3.5 

visually and sonically it was stunning but the pacing was eh and the plot was …? i’m not even sure 

also i need young harrison ford soooooo so bad

On 11/11/2023 at 7:27 AM, brandon said:

just watched blade runner and i’m a little disappointed 

everyone else i follow on letterboxd gave it 4s & 5s and i fear i had to settle for a 3.5 

visually and sonically it was stunning but the pacing was eh and the plot was …? i’m not even sure 

also i need young harrison ford soooooo so bad

just watched May December by Todd Haynes - spectacular. As good as Oppenheimer or Flower Moon. Natalie Portman gives probably my favorite performance of 2023.

Sorcery 

it was about indigenous people of Chiloé in the 19th century being accused of using magic by german settlers 

𝑳𝒊𝒇𝒆 𝒊𝒔 𝒃𝒆𝒂𝒖𝒕𝒊𝒇𝒖𝒍 𝒃𝒖𝒕 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒅𝒐𝒏'𝒕 𝒉𝒂𝒗𝒆 𝒂 𝒄𝒍𝒖𝒆

Triangle of Sadness

I think I'd give it 3.8/5, very interesting commentary on class divisions but I do think the message could've been brought home a little better in the third act, the ppl who play the main couple r eyecandy so it keeps u interested through the long movie and the satire made me laugh out loud a few times