Pour me one more, watch the ice melt in my fist

~

Why do we keep when the water runs?

Why do we love if we're so mistaken?

Why do we leave when the chase is done?

Don't search me in here, I'm already gone, baby

Why do we keep when the water runs?

Why do we love?

they're basically listing examples of destructive relationship dynamics they/we've been in, and how they/we've become hardened and cynical about love...but we can't stop it from happening when we're feeling it once more

I mean obviously you get the gist of it but there are whole sentences that sound like they were written in another language and then translated, for example search is always followed by "for" when you mean "look for", it was probably a french verb that didn't require that preposition and when it got translated something was lost

well like, thats what happened lol - chris wrote the chorus and her verse. if we take "ne me cherche pas, je ne suis puis la" from the bridge as the actual original hook, which i'm inclined to do bc it rhymes and makes a lot more sense grammatically, "don't search me in here, i'm already gone" is actually more like "don't look for me, i'm not here" but they really DIRECTLY translated it.

X----into me, into you----X

guys omg what if "why do we keep when the water runs" means "why do we keep still when things like the water are always moving and never look back"? like "when" means "while"/"as opposed" to rather then "in the moment in which"...