sweetie

Art Deco

What if Art Deco is about Miley Cyrus? She is a huge fan of Lana and she even attended her recent Hollywood Bowl concert plus she had covered Summertime Sadness.I think the song is about Miley's bizarre attention seeking behavior and how she's willing to go to any extreme in order to not be forgotten by the public. The line "You're so Art Deco" cud be alluding to Miley being such an exhibitionist....Also the line "You want in , but you just can't win " maybe about how Miley wants to be Lana's bestie but Lana's not interested in being friends with such a controversial person.

What if Art Deco is about Miley Cyrus? She is a huge fan of Lana and she even attended her recent Hollywood Bowl concert plus she had covered Summertime Sadness.I think the song is about Miley's bizarre attention seeking behavior and how she's willing to go to any extreme in order to not be forgotten by the public. The line "You're so Art Deco" cud be alluding to Miley being such an exhibitionist....Also the line "You want in , but you just can't win " maybe about how Miley wants to be Lana's bestie but Lana's not interested in being friends with such a controversial person.

But Miley ain't a rapper.

giphy.gif

Like Lana would write a song about Miley Cyrus.. lol, no.

C'mon you guys, "rapper's delight"? It's obviously about the granny from The Wedding Singer.

And notice the flower crown? Is Lana just a big rip-off of Ellen Albertini Dow? :troll:

(LOL. The troll face kinda looks like her.)

tumblr_mhs73q4yRD1qll34mo1_500.gif

Stalking you has sorta become like my occupation.

All right guys, bear with me, but I'm hearing something different in the chorus. I see "Art Deco" not as contrasting with something like "Art Nouveau," but rather with something like "Neon Gold" ...something like "yellow." (Thus, "art deco" would be positive.) I'm seeing the theme all over the chorus.

This is what I hear:

Club queen on the downtown scene

Prowling around at night

You're not mean you're just born to be seen

Born to be wild

A little party never hurt no one

That's why it's alright

You want in but you just can't win

So you hang in the lights

You're so Art Deco

Out on the floor

Shining like gunmetal

Gold and unsure

Baby you're so ghetto

You're looking to score

When they all say yellow

You try to ignore them

I mean, it's in a nightclub (Neon Gold club nights) ...? Yes? No? Maybe?

Gunmetal is a gray color

BzhmW.png

I agree more with the interpretations stating that this song is directed to Lana herself. I highly doubt this song is about Azaelia at all. I feel like Lana is speaking to a past version of herself, back in her wilder days. This would also make sense considering this song comes directly after Freak, where Lana says "looking back, my past, it all seems stranger than a stranger." It's quite possible that perhaps Lana positioned Art Deco after Freak because of this lyric, she is foreshadowing the fact that she is about to look back at her past. Art Deco to me seems like a critique of her own personal life. I don't think that Lana and Azaelia are even that close honestly, especially considering that Lana often considers her relationships to be more than what they really are (there are rumours Lana never even dated Jimmy Gnecco, and she just admired him so much that she wrote a plethora of intimate songs about him) & that Azaelia tweeted quite recently in reply to a fan who was asking whether she is still friends with Lana: "I think we're friends?" (paraphrased). I doubt Lana would write such a personal song about someone she doesn't even know that well.

IF this song is indeed about AB, however, then I feel like a lot of the lyrics are still more related to Lana more than anything. What Lana often does is sing songs seemingly about other people, for example, Carmen, Lolita, The Other Woman, among many others, that appear to be about someone other than Lana, but are more recalls of her own life. From a psychological viewpoint, this is a defence mechanism of the ego called projection. She projects her own undesirable stories and personality traits onto other people or characters. In this case, it could be quite likely that she wrote this song about Azaelia, but is applying traits to her that she really struggles to accept about herself. For example, the lyric "they all say hello, you try to ignore them", could be about how Lana detaches herself from others to maintain a satisfactory level of privacy and to profess a certain level of elusiveness. But because Lana doesn't really want to admit that this is a part of her own personality, she projects it onto someone else, in this case, AB (if the song is about her). Regardless of who this person/character is, Lana pretends to direct the song to someone other than herself. "YOU'RE so art. YOU'RE looking to score" etc. It's quite possible she's really talking to herself about her own past & personality.

I agree more with the interpretations stating that this song is directed to Lana herself. I highly doubt this song is about Azaelia at all. I feel like Lana is speaking to a past version of herself, back in her wilder days. This would also make sense considering this song comes directly after Freak, where Lana says "looking back, my past, it all seems stranger than a stranger." It's quite possible that perhaps Lana positioned Art Deco after Freak because of this lyric, she is foreshadowing the fact that she is about to look back at her past. Art Deco to me seems like a critique of her own personal life. I don't think that Lana and Azaelia are even that close honestly, especially considering that Lana often considers her relationships to be more than what they really are (there are rumours Lana never even dated Jimmy Gnecco, and she just admired him so much that she wrote a plethora of intimate songs about him) & that Azaelia tweeted quite recently in reply to a fan who was asking whether she is still friends with Lana: "I think we're friends?" (paraphrased). I doubt Lana would write such a personal song about someone she doesn't even know that well.

IF this song is indeed about AB, however, then I feel like a lot of the lyrics are still more related to Lana more than anything. What Lana often does is sing songs seemingly about other people, for example, Carmen, Lolita, The Other Woman, among many others, that appear to be about someone other than Lana, but are more recalls of her own life. From a psychological viewpoint, this is a defence mechanism of the ego called projection. She projects her own undesirable stories and personality traits onto other people or characters. In this case, it could be quite likely that she wrote this song about Azaelia, but is applying traits to her that she really struggles to accept about herself. For example, the lyric "they all say hello, you try to ignore them", could be about how Lana detaches herself from others to maintain a satisfactory level of privacy and to profess a certain level of elusiveness. But because Lana doesn't really want to admit that this is a part of her own personality, she projects it onto someone else, in this case, AB (if the song is about her). Regardless of who this person/character is, Lana pretends to direct the song to someone other than herself. "YOU'RE so art. YOU'RE looking to score" etc. It's quite possible she's really talking to herself about her own past & personality.

Spot on. All of this. I think you're correct. All of the songs that are like this make me think she is speaking about herself. 

Went to the comments for this and no mention of LDR's song, but people recognized

Dave Chappelle's stand up "3AM in the Ghetto".

combined with the fact people actually say "that's so ghetto" all the time , as inspiring it.

So as an LDR apologician, I can opine that if people really do say "that's so ghetto" all the time, one might consider LDR's use as possibly social criticism, but there are also darker aspects to the song such as the lines:

You put your life out on the line
You're crazy all the time

which suggest she (or the person she sings about) may have had to blend in, in dangerous environments. And where are ghettos relative to club scenes generally? I guess it depends on the quality (or type of) club, and I really don't know; I'm just asking.

Saw this on Genius:

"The last echoes of Freak join to the first seconds of Art Deco. Consider the incredible concept album; very poetic and retrospective. The eighth track is called “Burnt Norton” and speaks of the past, the future, the time as irredeemable avatar, and the perception of “Who I am, what I was, and what will be.”

It’s really beautiful the connection between Freak and Art Deco: In the first, Lana speaks of herself as if he were in the climb of happiness, speaks to California as if it were her man, and she is in love with him . Occasionally singing “Looking back my past is most stranger than stranger”. in Art Deco, Lana talks about a wayward girl (almost like a stranger); enjoying a life lost among holidays and a world of life in limit. We all know the past of Lana, is not it? Note that New York is highly influenced by the Art Deco.

Well, I think that in Freak, Lana talks about her ideal future, and Art Deco, their intangible past. In both songs speaks in the present tense. That is the ART.

i’m sorry for my english" 

What a good interpretation  :D Here for it, I haven't really understood what Lana was trying to say with Honeymoon but this is a pretty good read of Freak and Art Deco's connection

tumblr_mthwqtumEQ1r7oj7fo1_250.giftumblr_mthwqtumEQ1r7oj7fo2_250.giftumblr_mthwqtumEQ1r7oj7fo4_250.gif

You know what, I believe her when she's saying "this song is actually about a group of teenagers who go out every night". To me it does not feel like a song she wrote about herself. The way I see it... Lana sees a girl who behaves the way she herself used to (in the story that her songs tell, at least), doesn't understand it anymore and kind of rhetorically asks her "why". Because Lizzie has changed. It might well remind her of her past, spotting someone doing what she used to do, but she doesn't address her past self directly.

That's why, I've got to confess, I fail to see the alleged lyrical connection between "Freak" and this track :$ . (Maybe with the exception of the infamous "looking back, my past / It all seems stranger than a stranger" but I try to wipe it from my mind, such a clunky lyric, yuk!) Although I do appreciate other interpretations.

And the wind I know it’s cold

I can't believe the lyrics is "shining like gun metal"! I literally had no idea what she was saying. i think I heard "shining like dafsd metal" lol

OMG ur Ryt!!!! "Art Deco" is "So Legit Pt 2" and also Lady Gaga's recent album was called "Art Pop" . Art Deco also has that same sarcastic tone as "So Legit". Plus Lana has reused the line "Queen of the downtown scene" in "Art Deco" which she had previously used in "So Legit". So I definitely think these two songs are connected.

SO LEGIT : You called me the queen of the downtown scene, babe.
ART DECO : Club queen on the downtown scene

"So Legit"

You were the freak king
Of the piercing shop,
All the girls thought they could sing,
But they're really not shit.
I don't get it

You're looking like a man,
You're talking like a baby.
How the fuck is your song in
a Coke commercial, crazy?
I don't get it,
Your taste once exquisite.

What happened to Brooklyn,
What happened to New York?
What happened to my scene,
What happened to punk rock, rock?

You called me the queen of the downtown scene, babe.
How the fuck would you switch it up and then replace me?
I don't get it, I'm so legit.

Tell me was it 'cause I wasn't platinum and jewels?
That perhaps you thought I was a little bit even uncool.
Kid, was that it?

Stefani, you suck, I know you're selling twenty million.
Wish they could have seen you when we booed you off in Williamsburg.
You're hurt, I know my words don't hurt, yeah.

Oh, girl, I see you walking 'round in your pearls,
Thinking that you're number one.
You're so funny, 'cause honey, you're not.

What happened to Brooklyn, the last frontier?
They said you could make it anywhere,
If you can make it here.
But, where?
No magic in the air?

What happened to Brooklyn,
What happened to our scene, baby?
Have we all gone Gaga crazy?
Remember when the streets used to be
dangerous and we were born bad,
And we were born bad?

Punk rock, punk rock.

The boys used to punch each other in the face,
and girls were walking around wasted.
And everybody had a good night,
Come back in the sunlight.

Punk rock, Punk rock.

Rock.

lololol love this theory. I see it.

The Great Gatsby teas  :hooker:

THIS

at first when i read ppl thought it was about azealia i rolled my eyes but now i'm like 80% sure of it

Lana and Azealia are definitely good friends, they've tweeted each other a few times, Azealia defended Lana when Eminem made a rap about Lana, she also attended the Tropico premiere, and Lana has shared Azealia's music on social media.

Lana also said this abt Azealia in an interview: "I fuck with Azealia Banks because I have the same artistic inclinations as her and the same taste in men."

'You want in, but you just can't win' would go with Azealia's complaints about how the general public don't like her because she's an upfront black woman too

wait, what???

i think someone else already said this in here but when she says 'you're so Art Deco' i think she's continuing the theme of Carmen and describing a girl who only exists to look good and go out at night

'Put your red dress on, put your lipstick on

Sing your song, song, now the camera's on
And you're alive again'

what i mean is that there's this girl who goes out and stays out all night but she never lets people in emotionally - 'they all say hello, you try to ignore them because you want more' so she's nothing more than a decorative item. to other people, she only exists to look good, they don't know anything about what's going on in her mind because she ignores everyone who tries to be her friend.

this is a messy unorganised post bc i was pretty much just writing down my thought process lel

I think this is probably the most legit theory tbh

lolololol it'd piss myself if this were true.

But Miley ain't a rapper.

she tries so hard tho to be a part of that "scene"

100% agree

~INSTA1.gif

Omg, I thought the same thing!  :hdu: My theory is that she was separating Lana from Lizzy, so Lana would be talking about Lizzy, like she possibly did in Fucked My Way Up To The Top!  :flutter:

32c003478b7ec35a4b8ae368a22ebabc5be17593

this just blew my mind omfg