naachoboy

"Some Things Last a Long Time" by Lana Del Rey for "Hi How Are You Daniel Johnston?"

It's an okay song. She's sung better covers in my opinion.

it's beautiful, but I feel like she could have done better??

I feel the same.

It's really not her fault though, if the original song is bad the end result can only be so good. I wonder if I should replay it a few more times hoping that it will grow on me or just leave it alone.

It's ok, especially for a movie soundtrack but ... well. The song itself is already quite boring. Lana's vocals are good and the guitar is nice but it's not like it's something I'd ove to hear from her ... unlike LiB :creep:

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

Its ok, but not knocking my socks off like she has in the past.. just sorta meh.. i dont know... nothing special..

its probably an old song she did with barrie..

stil nice tho maybe, but too long and no simmering feeling fire in the tone..

or maybe the simmering fire she had, should have been kept shorter, as the flame burnt out fast as it dragged on.. :rollin:

Beautifully sung with a tempo at or exceeding DJ's.

Here's the original:

It's interesting that LDR perseverates the form of the chorus at the end (at least that's what I hear), whereas DJ changes it up a bit to make his despondency seem even more despondent.

At the end:

what DJ sings          what LDR sings

Some things last a lifetime  x 2 ==> Some things last a long time x 2

This would be a mistake on LDR's part. Or perhaps some deep philosophical feminist statement?

People sometimes change when singing a cover. Maybe she just wanted more repititions?

I don't think it was too much of a deal. Feels like "feminist statement" was too much 0_0

As someone who has been familiar with Daniel for decades now (I also once met him in Texas), already very familiar with this song.

Lana does a great job, and the great thing is, Lana is introducing who knows how many people to Daniel and his music. Which is what is so great about Lana.

Look how many people she has led people to- from Lou Reed and Nina Simone and Leonard Cohen and the hundreds of references in her songs to so many others.

To newer or obscure acts including Barrie.

Great cover, and the changing of the words from lifetime to long time in the last verse makes a lot of sense if one knows Daniel and his story and would not make much sense

with Lana.

Very proud of Lana for this.

Lana is our modern day Edith Piaf. Totally unique. a mixture of Brian WIlson Roy Orbison, Leonard Cohen, Gram Parsons, Elton & Bernie. Born to Die/Paradise is comparable to Elton's Captain Fantastic. All the records need to be listened whole. Waiting for a box set vinyl of all 400 songs not on any lp

I was bored so while I was playing with the Soundcloud link I got the highest quality single cover

For people who stick to official (me) and original covers (me)

XWlTlC7.jpg?1

the biggest was 500x500 fair..

but it is cute af though