Jack

Melanie Martinez

6 hours ago, Escapism said:

I feel like she wrote herself into a corner going with the whole school theme to begin with and making content specifically for the movie. (I believe she said something along the lines of how if she couldn't visualize it for a music video the song wouldn't make it). Where as crybaby's theme and concept had enough breathing room where she was able to create a variety of songs that still felt whole and part of the album.

!!! exactly, I  thought she was finally going to set herself free lyrically and not be stuck to X themes like Crybaby(childlike themes),  K-12 could do SOOO MUCH MORE without the need of it being school themed like there's so many things we go through on life/school and a pencil or a notebook doesn't have anything to do with them

1 hour ago, missanthrophocene said:

humm is this person reliable?

They said Melanie has a song coming out on the 14th. I'd take it with a grain of salt though as most Twitter "insiders" are pure bs.

8 hours ago, Escapism said:

I feel like she wrote herself into a corner going with the whole school theme to begin with and making content specifically for the movie. (I believe she said something along the lines of how if she couldn't visualize it for a music video the song wouldn't make it). Where as crybaby's theme and concept had enough breathing room where she was able to create a variety of songs that still felt whole and part of the album.

I agree with this! I never really thought of it that way. Even though there isn't as much room with the school theme, I can think of several ways Melanie could've done it a lot better. But still, the theme really doesn't have much room to work with. I think it would've been better if Cry Baby was about childhood/school in general and MM2 could've been about the transition from adolescence into growing into an adult and dealing with the new world around you. I think CB and K-12 were too close together in Cry Baby's life. 

giphy.gif 

5 hours ago, Gravitate said:

MM2 could've been about the transition from adolescence into growing into an adult and dealing with the new world around you. I think CB and K-12 were too close together in Cry Baby's life. 

Essentially that's what it was about though Like K-12 goes from around 5 to 17 

Theming reflects on that as each track is a year in school and goes through issues we face during that period of time

Wheels On The Bus - Bully
Class Fight - Jealousy
The Principal - Government
Show & Tell -  Work compensation
Nurse's Office - Exhaustion
Drama Club - Misogyny
Strawberry Shortcake - Puberty
Lunchbox Friends - Relationships
Orange Juice - Mental Health
Detention - Burn out
Teacher's Pet - Sexualization
High School Sweethearts - Love
Recess - Fear of the future

We just won't get Cry baby adulthood forward, as Mel already stated she'll evolve instead of like college/work ... which most likely is linked to her new "form" with fairies and E.T's

There were some good tracks and themes on K-12, but the execution wasn't half as clever and deeply written as Cry Baby was. There are also some songs that just don't sound like they belong on the album, and sound odd out of the context of the movie. The beat drop in Class Fight comes especially out of nowhere, and the overall song is just not really relatable to most people. Teachers Pet is also uncomfortable, and not in the way she intended. I think she could have done so much better, and so could Keenan as her producer, honestly. She just went too hard into the theme, and forgot how to be objective rather than just subjective. Luckily, I think this upcoming album could be her best yet if she takes the right steps with it. I'm looking forward to seeing if she can pull of this comeback. 

17 hours ago, Sonofmoonshine said:

Essentially that's what it was about though Like K-12 goes from around 5 to 17 

Theming reflects on that as each track is a year in school and goes through issues we face during that period of time

Wheels On The Bus - Bully
Class Fight - Jealousy
The Principal - Government
Show & Tell -  Work compensation
Nurse's Office - Exhaustion
Drama Club - Misogyny
Strawberry Shortcake - Puberty
Lunchbox Friends - Relationships
Orange Juice - Mental Health
Detention - Burn out
Teacher's Pet - Sexualization
High School Sweethearts - Love
Recess - Fear of the future

We just won't get Cry baby adulthood forward, as Mel already stated she'll evolve instead of like college/work ... which most likely is linked to her new "form" with fairies and E.T's

Nvm, I’m bad at typing lol

giphy.gif 

On 2/7/2022 at 4:07 AM, Gravitate said:

They said Melanie has a song coming out on the 14th. I'd take it with a grain of salt though as most Twitter "insiders" are pure bs.

I agree with this! I never really thought of it that way. Even though there isn't as much room with the school theme, I can think of several ways Melanie could've done it a lot better. But still, the theme really doesn't have much room to work with. I think it would've been better if Cry Baby was about childhood/school in general and MM2 could've been about the transition from adolescence into growing into an adult and dealing with the new world around you. I think CB and K-12 were too close together in Cry Baby's life. 

tbh she should've just made like marina and killed cry baby after the debut album. she has gone through her journey, had a satisfying ending but she keeps dragging the character and the childhood theme more & more and its getting more & more SHALLOW, because the best concepts and ideas had already been well explored on the first album.

she should just drop this whole act and come up with something different. a different character, story and theme all together. i'm hoping for a at least a different style and theme for mm3 but poor cry baby is still going to be there... she's already a shell of her former self.

10 minutes ago, lovesick said:

tbh she should've just made like marina and killed cry baby after the debut album. she has gone through her journey, had a satisfying ending but she keeps dragging the character and the childhood theme more & more and its getting more & more SHALLOW, because the best concepts and ideas had already been well explored on the first album.

she should just drop this whole act and come up with something different. a different character, story and theme all together. i'm hoping for a at least a different style and theme for mm3 but poor cry baby is still going to be there... she's already a shell of her former self.

Same, I would love to see a totally different character/theme/story. And her voice is so delicate and pretty, I can see her rocking several other styles. 

i saw k-12 live and it was odd because the crowd was relatively quiet through the whole thing and didn’t scream the lyrics to a lot of songs but as soon as she started performing cry baby songs at the end of the show, everyone was standing and dancing and screaming at the top of their lungs. it’s understandable because the album was pretty new but she didn’t interact with the crowd the entire time during k-12 and then finally talked to us during cry baby so the ending ended up being so much more fun than the first few hours. the concert felt more like watching a musical than having fun and interacting with fans, which is okay but i kinda had false expectations after seeing videos of the cry baby tour. i haven’t gone back to a single song on k-12 ever since because the songs grew to be too boring and childish for me but i go back to cry baby here and there because it’s such a classic.

tumblr_mxrgupWXRw1sdmzwwo1_500.gif

5 hours ago, sack said:

i saw k-12 live and it was odd because the crowd was relatively quiet through the whole thing and didn’t scream the lyrics to a lot of songs but as soon as she started performing cry baby songs at the end of the show, everyone was standing and dancing and screaming at the top of their lungs. it’s understandable because the album was pretty new but she didn’t interact with the crowd the entire time during k-12 and then finally talked to us during cry baby so the ending ended up being so much more fun than the first few hours. the concert felt more like watching a musical than having fun and interacting with fans, which is okay but i kinda had false expectations after seeing videos of the cry baby tour. i haven’t gone back to a single song on k-12 ever since because the songs grew to be too boring and childish for me but i go back to cry baby here and there because it’s such a classic.

i agree, tbh i always thought the dollhouse tour was the best one from melanie, lots of times interacting with fans, the tracklist was never the same and she was always adding new unreleased songs (that would turn out to be on cry baby) and also amazing covers, what a time to be alive...

but yeah it seems like melanie doesn't really like to interact with the public during concerts because i remember cry baby tour had a number of times where melanie would get mad at fans for screaming while she was talking on stage. i guess what she did on k-12 tour is the balance she found suited her best, but it sure is boring imo

On 2/10/2022 at 12:38 PM, Doja Cat said:

I think Bella Poarch will be in the next movie. 

she's gonna play the evil twin who's gonna steals cry baby's identity 

come to my house let's die together, friendships that would last forever

At this point I think the only way to really pull off this release will be to roll out singles first, then the album, and then release the movie after she's taken her time to perfect it. If she pulls another K-12, pushing back dates repeatedly until she's ready to release everything at once, she'll be making a big mistake. I think she's learned the lesson, but we'll see. Her label might be puppeteering a lot more this time around.

6 hours ago, ButterflyBones said:

At this point I think the only way to really pull off this release will be to roll out singles first, then the album, and then release the movie after she's taken her time to perfect it. I

She's definitely aiming for a different album rollout from K-12 since filming hasn't started yet andshe said she wants the first single to happen in march/april so cheers