Jack

Melanie Martinez

On 4/24/2022 at 9:56 PM, ButterflyBones said:

It's honestly impressive that she's managed to stick with this pastel babydoll aesthetic long enough for almost all of her fans to outgrow it, lol.

the fact that she's been using that aesthetic for 8 years :rip:  fingers crossed she'll switch it up by MM4 cuz i dont think its happening this time 

Just now, White Dress said:

Did she switch producers for her work post-Cry Baby? Everything since CB has sounded very bland and colorless imo while CB and the EP before were actually quite lush and interesting production wise

K-12 and After School were all produced by Michael Keenan. He produced Pacify Her/Milk and Cookies from Crybaby and Gingerbread man;

40 minutes ago, White Dress said:

Did she switch producers for her work post-Cry Baby? Everything since CB has sounded very bland and colorless imo while CB and the EP before were actually quite lush and interesting production wise

Most of the songs on CB were produced by this one guy/group (i think it was a duo or something) whose stuff kept leaking so Melanie switched to another guy who was kinda worse but had more security or something like that

tbh i don't think its just a production issue the songs are boring on all fronts

3 hours ago, Charlottexseax said:

Most of the songs on CB were produced by this one guy/group (i think it was a duo or something)

kinetics and one love 

and their stuff didn’t start leaking until drama club (and maybe like one or two unreleased before that 😭) she had switched before that 

4 hours ago, 400lux said:

the fact that she's been using that aesthetic for 8 years :rip:  fingers crossed she'll switch it up by MM4 cuz i dont think its happening this time 

Agreed. It's not even the aesthetic that's pulling her under, it's how she does it. If she'd have put out something sonically similar to what we've heard of MM3 years ago instead of songs like "Class Fight" and "Wheels on the Bus", she would have a lot more relevancy now, no matter how she dressed.

She constantly sacrifices quality for theme, and it shows more than ever after finally hearing great music from her for the first time in years. It's too bad we had to have it leaked to get it.

23 minutes ago, ButterflyBones said:

She constantly sacrifices quality for theme, and it shows more than ever after finally hearing great music from her for the first time in years. It's too bad we had to have it leaked to get it.

saying everything i've been thinking for years thank god.... its getting old and frustrating. if she keeps putting out wheels on the buses or field trips while we know damn well she can make needle & threads, cooties, sirens, tunnel visions ETC ETC i think i might lose my mind. it looks like she's trolling us atp im afraid we are being punkd:bebe:  this is literally why a bunch of her shit leaks like theres no way that no one on her whole team or even her arent seeing that

Ngl.... I completely forgot Wheels on the Bus existed. Here i was pretending Recess was the only downer. last week i remembered Nurses Office existed too, and that it's a shame one of the good songs on k-12 was also the most unlistenable with the sound effects. 

This is probably years late but I've recently realised I've completely outgrown Crybaby too. Not the instrumentals, most of them are still flawless, but it's finally safe for me to say that the album has aged badly. I'm still glad I was into it during its peak I'm 2015/2016 tho. 

It's really going to suck if her next release feels like it hasn't moved on.

2 hours ago, eggciting said:

the fact that melanie has been trending on twitter EVERY SINGLE TIME she posts something since the beggining of this year yet she still hasn't released any music is evil

right so many opportunities... I wish she did a Q&A to talk about the album to build hype for it like she did before K-12, she plans on releasing a single in spring but we barely know anything about it yet, just that it's coming out this year(and not everyone knows about this)

9 hours ago, Ultra Violet said:

Ngl.... I completely forgot Wheels on the Bus existed. Here i was pretending Recess was the only downer. last week i remembered Nurses Office existed too, and that it's a shame one of the good songs on k-12 was also the most unlistenable with the sound effects. 

This is probably years late but I've recently realised I've completely outgrown Crybaby too. Not the instrumentals, most of them are still flawless, but it's finally safe for me to say that the album has aged badly. I'm still glad I was into it during its peak I'm 2015/2016 tho. 

It's really going to suck if her next release feels like it hasn't moved on.

bitch how does that make sense

"age badly" and "outgrown" are literally opposites. ??????? yall just be saying random words 

1 hour ago, Charlottexseax said:

bitch how does that make sense

"age badly" and "outgrown" are literally opposites. ??????? yall just be saying random words 

Aged badly = if it was released today, most of the lyrics would not stand well

Outgrown = regardless, I'm too old for such music now anyway

It's not that deep babe. Thats just my interpretation so you can take a breath.

13 minutes ago, Ultra Violet said:

Aged badly = if it was released today, most of the lyrics would not stand well

That's not what age badly means. An example of something that aged badly is Disney's racist cartoons from the 40s

CB having weird lyricism doesn't mean it aged badly 

5 hours ago, Charlottexseax said:

That's not what age badly means. An example of something that aged badly is Disney's racist cartoons from the 40s

CB having weird lyricism doesn't mean it aged badly 

They're not wrong though. It has "2015 tumblr era" written all over it, and there's no way it would've been half as successful if she has released it now in the 2020's. It's not a bad album, but most people would probably agree that it's pretty dated by now. It has been almost 8 years, after all.

I just feel like she shot herself in the foot by not releasing K-12 as soon as it was finished and moving on to newer things. I honestly could have lived without "After School" if it meant getting new concepts and better music years ago.

Nothing here is new but:

Been thinking about this for a few weeks now and I have officially outgrown her, and she is probably the first artist I've done so consciously. I still enjoy Crybaby and its production but I don't willingly listen to her music like I used to. The time gaps between releases and lack of musical and lyrical diversity has not helped [ironically with Lorde, for example, not as much, because there is artistical diversity regardless of how good or bad the music is].

K-12 had so many unnecessary fuck bombs and I say this as someone that listens to rap music about straight up murder. some lyrics were outright a step backwards from crybaby and some of the production fell flat .

Dead To Me and Bittersweet are released examples of her diversity and it sucks that she cannot translate that into the Crybaby storyline. I really hope the next album is the last one with this storyline. She could've made 4 albums about Crybaby with no issues  if she had put out an album every 2 years but now its too much, and the fact that some of her fans, even some of you guys here say the whole baby shtick is tired should be a signal for her 

IDK if I'm in the wrong for thinking this? :um2:

Edit: just realized the last two pages are about what i just typed lmfao