Jack

Melanie Martinez

10 minutes ago, TRENCH said:

K-12 had so many unnecessary fuck bombs and I say this as someone that listens to rap music about straight up murder.

Lol, it's true. Some of K-12 unironically sounded like an angsty kindergartner wrote it, and Michael Keenan's boring pastel production wasn't helping her. "Gotta look like a fuckin' damn Barbie", "Kelly had a fat ass and trouble's cooking", "I am not the fucked up men", literally all of WotB, etc. And those are just soft examples of the bad writing on that album.

We know she can do better. We've literally heard it. So, why doesn't she? It's disappointing.

Have you guys heard the MM3 leaks? She's obviously ditching the childish themes for this upcoming album :headache:

I think After School was a good transition from the K-12 sound to MM3. The EP lyrics are mostly a huge improvement from K-12 (and I'm saying that as someone who enjoyed both).

𝕪𝕠𝕦 𝕒𝕣𝕖 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕡𝕙𝕒𝕟𝕥𝕠𝕞, 𝕗𝕠𝕣𝕖𝕧𝕖𝕣 𝕚𝕟 𝕞𝕪 𝕙𝕖𝕒𝕕 

1 hour ago, ButterflyBones said:

Lol, it's true. Some of K-12 unironically sounded like an angsty kindergartner wrote it, and Michael Keenan's boring pastel production wasn't helping her. "Gotta look like a fuckin' damn Barbie", "Kelly had a fat ass and trouble's cooking", "I am not the fucked up men", literally all of WotB, etc. And those are just soft examples of the bad writing on that album.

We know she can do better. We've literally heard it. So, why doesn't she? It's disappointing.

"She was kissing Brandon i got jelly"

ma'am it is not 2012 pls stop :um2:

57 minutes ago, Coloringbooks said:

Have you guys heard the MM3 leaks? She's obviously ditching the childish themes for this upcoming album :headache:

I think After School was a good transition from the K-12 sound to MM3. The EP lyrics are mostly a huge improvement from K-12 (and I'm saying that as someone who enjoyed both).

what snippets/where should i listen? lowkey hard to follow 

weird how she was quick asf to get her ass in the studio & release piggy-back during #that time but when her fans are clearly getting tired of waiting & those crybaby coins are drying up shes reluctant 

9 minutes ago, TRENCH said:

what snippets/where should i listen?

i can’t point you where to listen bc it’s not allowed, but listen to Fingers Crossed, Sirens, Needle & Thread, & void :eartha2:

signature.gif

"One gun on the table. Headshot if you're able..."

1 hour ago, Coloringbooks said:

After School was literally the perfect bridge from K-12 to MM3 and it deserves much more. I loved the EP since it came out but after hearing the MM3 leaks it made me appreciate it even more. 

giphy.gif 

10 hours ago, Charlottexseax said:

That's not what age badly means. An example of something that aged badly is Disney's racist cartoons from the 40s

CB having weird lyricism doesn't mean it aged badly 

The weird lyricism literally did age badly though. I'm not saying I'd want to cancel her but I'm sure others would if songs like tag you're it were released today. Tolerance is really low these days for everything. 

Just because you wouldn't say it aged badly, it doesn't mean I'm wrong for thinking it did :brows3:

3 hours ago, TRENCH said:

what should i listen? lowkey hard to follow

Needle & Thread, Fingers Crossed, Death, Void, Sirens, Garden, Færie Soirée and Dragon's Blood are my favourites. Wish they make it on the album but apparently they all have been cut :deadbanana: 

"I'm wild, I'm free, no man can handle me"

:lanahairflip2:

4 hours ago, TRENCH said:

Nothing here is new but:

Been thinking about this for a few weeks now and I have officially outgrown her, and she is probably the first artist I've done so consciously. I still enjoy Crybaby and its production but I don't willingly listen to her music like I used to. The time gaps between releases and lack of musical and lyrical diversity has not helped

and the fact that some of her fans, even some of you guys here say the whole baby shtick is tired should be a signal for her 

IDK if I'm in the wrong for thinking this? :um2:

Edit: just realized the last two pages are about what i just typed lmfao 

I always wonder if it is how long we wait between releases that played a part in our expectations for something a bit more evolved. But even tho Afterschool WAS more evolved and released not too long after K-12, I still wasnt obsessed with it like I should have been. I think ive also moved on from her as an artist. Im pretty much waiting for her next release to prove that to me. I think she's dropping a good amount of the baby/child aesthetic now and moving into more of a pastel vintage ethereal look which I like, yet I'm still not really here for it either. 

5 hours ago, keps2013 said:

i can’t point you where to listen bc it’s not allowed, but listen to Fingers Crossed, Sirens, Needle & Thread, & void :eartha2:

1 hour ago, Glitter Boy said:

Needle & Thread, Fingers Crossed, Death, Void, Sirens, Garden, Færie Soirée and Dragon's Blood are my favourites. Wish they make it on the album but apparently they all have been cut :deadbanana: 

Fingers crossed is my fav one by far :oprah4:

and of course they've been cut out  :awkney2:

1 hour ago, Ultra Violet said:

I always wonder if it is how long we wait between releases that played a part in our expectations for something a bit more evolved. But even tho Afterschool WAS more evolved and released not too long after K-12, I still wasnt obsessed with it like I should have been. I think ive also moved on from her as an artist. Im pretty much waiting for her next release to prove that to me. I think she's dropping a good amount of the baby/child aesthetic now and moving into more of a pastel vintage ethereal look which I like, yet I'm still not really here for it either. 

yeah the wait time [and the unfortunate allegations] def played part into it. I was 18 when crybaby came out. When k12 came out I was about to turn 24 the following month. An entire lifetime of growth has happened between that gap!!! The pastel/vintage look definitely suits her more now. The Crybaby concept was a risky but successful move that can only be replicated so may times/albums

19 minutes ago, TRENCH said:

yeah the wait time [and the unfortunate allegations] def played part into it. I was 18 when crybaby came out. When k12 came out I was about to turn 24 the following month. An entire lifetime of growth has happened between that gap!!! The pastel/vintage look definitely suits her more now. The Crybaby concept was a risky but successful move that can only be replicated so may times/albums

We're the same age! Listening to CB at 18 and 19 felt therapeutic in a way. Despite the childish themes, the darkness is not suitable for literal children so I think 15-19 was the best age for CB listeners. The themes felt more personal too.

Kinda like what you were saying before, K-12 dropped many of the dark uncomfortable references and swapped it for F bombs :toofunny:. The whole album felt more "fuck the system" , whereas CB was more "fuck what you did to me personally". I think i could have ADORED k-12 if i had been 13-16, while still in the schooling system. 

Sometimes I wish I could go back to enjoy it but that's not how life works. We move on :noparty:

Let's be real:

Cry baby is the only album that mattered in Melanie discography and it still does.

Although After School EP is a decent project, I will pretend that K-12 never hapened.

The intention of it all & the effort & her vision for this era i will still appreciate but thats pretty much about it. She just did not executed these ideas well. It felt she was trying too hard to be that typical sjw with all of that forcing wokeness all over the "fuck" lyrics every 5 second - which is a major problem with her songwriting in this era - she sounds like a 12 year-old who has just discovered how to cuss. (Even if this is her intention to portray "Cry Baby" it still sounds wack) meanwhile, her debut album literally serving sharp-pen in lyrical content.

I hope she ditch this crybaby thing already, she cant make this her brand forever. It looks like Marina trying to milk Electra Heart for the whole past decade.

@WHORE OF TROPICO   ⇨   @SALVAWHORE             

Pokemon Eevee GIF - Pokemon Eevee Flower - Discover & Share GIFs                                   evee-dancing.gif

Bring Me That Horizon — ianime0: Pokemon XY | Eevee Dancing

17 minutes ago, Ultra Violet said:

We're the same age! Listening to CB at 18 and 19 felt therapeutic in a way. Despite the childish themes, the darkness is not suitable for literal children so I think 15-19 was the best age for CB listeners. The themes felt more personal too.

Kinda like what you were saying before, K-12 dropped many of the dark uncomfortable references and swapped it for F bombs :toofunny:. The whole album felt more "fuck the system" , whereas CB was more "fuck what you did to me personally". I think i could have ADORED k-12 if i had been 13-16, while still in the schooling system. 

Sometimes I wish I could go back to enjoy it but that's not how life works. We move on :noparty:

everything you just said... 100% yes. Crybaby is def. a late teens album; it was relatable to those who were starting to be adults of legal age, experience relationships, etc.  I would've liked K12 when I was 14 and realizing the world sucked and the people who run it. Now its like "k what else is new?"

11 hours ago, ButterflyBones said:

her mind then she well-executed the edgy teenager part :nails:

9 hours ago, Gravitate said:

After School was literally the perfect bridge from K-12 to MM3 and it deserves much more. I loved the EP since it came out but after hearing the MM3 leaks it made me appreciate it even more. 

Exactly, the EP really shows she has GOOD CONTENT and how she was STUCK lyrically on the school theme, she could do a lot better if it wasn't the need of every song having to do with a pencil, eraser, notebook, those themes should have been just the titles of the songs and the lyrical content be different metaphors(like Show & Tell and High School Sweethearts, they didn't feel forced to me, another example is i like Detention's cuz it really feels like a pop diva song with the generic chorus and the  "sexy latina" image she put on). Anyway, she has proven us wrong with the new leaks lyrically and sonically so it's definitely going to be her best work. I'm super excited!!!(what kills me though are her wrong predictions, it's tiring but i get why it's taking so long...)

Honestly I think K-12 wasn't really that bad. Of course the production and the themes kind of killed it a bit, but considering the whole visual project i think she made a good job, since it was her first time also. Of course Cry baby was on another level, but I think K-12 needed to happen in order to grow and then move on, like she's about to do for the next project. We know for a fact that she's CAN write good lyrics, explore darker themes and such things so I'm not worried at all. I also think the allegations played a good part in how she ended up releasing the project, she had a lot going on i guess. Anyway, we'll see in the future... I'm really hopeful. 

come to my house let's die together, friendships that would last forever

This is really random rn but I saw someone mentioned "Detention" has a generic chorus, and while I thought so for the longest time, I think I figured out how it relates to the meaning of the song.

She's trying to seduce the principal's son in order to get what she wants. In my opinion it's basically a metaphor for up and coming artists who give out their bodies to higher ups to have a shot at fame. She also says this in "Show & Tell" (art don't sell unless you fuck every authority).

25 minutes ago, your bestie said:

This is really random rn but I saw someone mentioned "Detention" has a generic chorus, and while I thought so for the longest time, I think I figured out how it relates to the meaning of the song.

She's trying to seduce the principal's son in order to get what she wants. In my opinion it's basically a metaphor for up and coming artists who give out their bodies to higher ups to have a shot at fame. She also says this in "Show & Tell" (art don't sell unless you fuck every authority).

What i meant with "generic chorus" is how the lyrics and production sound sexual(which is not a bad thing), it's the stereotype of the latina needing to have that sexy vibe and she played it well on both song and music video. While it gives that image, there is a deep meaning behind it. I really wish Detention was the lead-single cuz it's the most commercial song out of K-12, imagine if she came back with it!!!! :eartha2: