Elle

Lust For Life - Pre-Release Thread

Instead of my usual bitching, I'll make it interesting. Im willing to bet a $10 iTunes gift card that this album ain't dropping on July 21. Any takers? That is, if it doesn't come on July 21st, then you owe me a $10 iTunes gift card, and if it does, then I owe you.

tumblr_oz83mp1hxO1wc2gv3o1_500.png

Instead of my usual bitching, I'll make it interesting. Im willing to bet a $10 iTunes gift card that this album ain't dropping on July 21. Any takers? That is, if it doesn't come on July 21st, then you owe me a $10 iTunes gift card, and if it does, then I owe you.

I'd take that but I'm across the water so I don't think I would be able to (cause iTunes is iffy about regions).

i dont get why people think the album will be pushed back again lana actually announced the date this time that's a huge difference and like she has 18 songs so she really doesn't need to keep working on it

It was a drunk tweet half-assedly thrown out there. She could easily just say it meant something else. 

Even though i don't think it'll come in July, I'll take this bet.

giphy.gif

I think the fact that she never released the Honeymoon video is even better. It gives it more mystery and makes it more legendary. And it fits the old VHS footage theme too, it's like a long lost home movie kind of thing. I dig it :creepna:

I've actually started to wonder (and maybe this is a huge stretch) if Lana purposely made this film and expected/intended for it to get leaked. Possibly not, because wasn't it just in December or so that the video came out, way after the Honeymoon era? Yet the fact that it was this private thing (supposedly) that got leaked seems to fit with the atmosphere of the video even more. 

Like you said, the whole thing is kind of set up like this homemade video. It's hard to tell if we are supposed to be watching it or not. Like in the beginning, with Lana posing/filming on the hills before the tourist car/van spots her and she looks visibly upset and then cuts the video to fuzz. I used to see why Lana wanted this video scrapped, but now I wonder if it's a commentary on the voyeurism/anti-voyeurism theme she was exploring in Honeymoon? 

Like the whole thing with her doing her make-up for most of the video. And us, the audience, get to watch her. She seems both aware of us/the camera's presence (she does look into it from time to time, like she knows she's being watched) and yet at other times she seems lost in her own daydreams, becoming just simply someone who is getting ready for the day. Added to the fact that she's also singing along/lip-syncing to her own song and making a video for that song adds another layer of performance.

Added to all of this is also the camera angles/positions. They are so close to Lana. Much of the frame is taken up with her face, sometimes just her lips or eyes. It adds this level of...intimacy, I guess? Like, not only are we watching something that is usually private (someone singing and getting ready) but we are getting so close to her. Yet, because the camera is so tightly zoomed for most of it, there's also so much we aren't able to see--like where she is exactly, the surroundings, or who she is talking to off-screen. There are very few, if any, wide cuts that reveal that, so we're kind of kept in the dark about what is going on, as if we're watching through a hole in the wall or something and can only get access to so much information. 

The fact that she is putting on make-up/changing feels significant too--she is altering her appearance in front of us, like a star becoming her part before her show. Especially because the outfit/hair choice seems more performative than, say, if Lana was just putting on jeans and a t-shirt. Like more character-based, but also not a character (the same way people like James Franco have described Lana as both real and unreal, a hard-to-define blend between fantasy and reality). 

And in all of this is an interesting duality--the artist who is both showing us so much/revealing things to us and yet keeping so much hidden. We see exactly what she wants us to see and nothing else. As the scene in the beginning shows, she's ultimately in control and has the power to shut down the whole thing if people peer in too closely.

But again, because the whole thing has such a secretive and homemade quality, it kind of questions if we should even be watching this, especially since she was not the one who released the entire footage. She only showed us a glimpse of it, the rest got leaked later. I wonder if she was trying to create something around these themes, but maybe didn't feel she did it justice enough?

Or maybe I'm just a pretentious asshole who really needs to get another hobby besides obsessing over leaked Lana videos?

Can I ask why does no one love Charlie?

Rob posted today all like sending my love to both of my girls from the top of this hill I climbed or whatever and it's like????? You have three children rob????

Can I ask why does no one love Charlie?

Rob posted today all like sending my love to both of my girls from the top of this hill I climbed or whatever and it's like????? You have three children rob????

maybe charlie has asked his dad not to mention him so as to avoid lana's crazy ass fans. or maybe they disowned him after he went to prison : -)

maybe charlie has asked his dad not to mention him so as to avoid lana's crazy ass fans. or maybe they disowned him after he went to prison : -)

Huh.. prison?

♡  standing stoic blue and denim, eyes not blue but clear like heaven 

I've actually started to wonder (and maybe this is a huge stretch) if Lana purposely made this film and expected/intended for it to get leaked. Possibly not, because wasn't it just in December or so that the video came out, way after the Honeymoon era? Yet the fact that it was this private thing (supposedly) that got leaked seems to fit with the atmosphere of the video even more. 

Like you said, the whole thing is kind of set up like this homemade video. It's hard to tell if we are supposed to be watching it or not. Like in the beginning, with Lana posing/filming on the hills before the tourist car/van spots her and she looks visibly upset and then cuts the video to fuzz. I used to see why Lana wanted this video scrapped, but now I wonder if it's a commentary on the voyeurism/anti-voyeurism theme she was exploring in Honeymoon? 

Like the whole thing with her doing her make-up for most of the video. And us, the audience, get to watch her. She seems both aware of us/the camera's presence (she does look into it from time to time, like she knows she's being watched) and yet at other times she seems lost in her own daydreams, becoming just simply someone who is getting ready for the day. Added to the fact that she's also singing along/lip-syncing to her own song and making a video for that song adds another layer of performance.

Added to all of this is also the camera angles/positions. They are so close to Lana. Much of the frame is taken up with her face, sometimes just her lips or eyes. It adds this level of...intimacy, I guess? Like, not only are we watching something that is usually private (someone singing and getting ready) but we are getting so close to her. Yet, because the camera is so tightly zoomed for most of it, there's also so much we aren't able to see--like where she is exactly, the surroundings, or who she is talking to off-screen. There are very few, if any, wide cuts that reveal that, so we're kind of kept in the dark about what is going on, as if we're watching through a hole in the wall or something and can only get access to so much information. 

The fact that she is putting on make-up/changing feels significant too--she is altering her appearance in front of us, like a star becoming her part before her show. Especially because the outfit/hair choice seems more performative than, say, if Lana was just putting on jeans and a t-shirt. Like more character-based, but also not a character (the same way people like James Franco have described Lana as both real and unreal, a hard-to-define blend between fantasy and reality). 

And in all of this is an interesting duality--the artist who is both showing us so much/revealing things to us and yet keeping so much hidden. We see exactly what she wants us to see and nothing else. As the scene in the beginning shows, she's ultimately in control and has the power to shut down the whole thing if people peer in too closely.

But again, because the whole thing has such a secretive and homemade quality, it kind of questions if we should even be watching this, especially since she was not the one who released the entire footage. She only showed us a glimpse of it, the rest got leaked later. I wonder if she was trying to create something around these themes, but maybe didn't feel she did it justice enough?

Or maybe I'm just a pretentious asshole who really needs to get another hobby besides obsessing over leaked Lana videos?

I'm printing this and posting it on my wall <3

7cf18f916c76496838bb078b36ed9708af32170e