Just Cherry

Lizzy Grant/May jailer Old Myspace. (New Information)

What would todays equivalent of myspace be?

as in the top social network or the newest flop?

Tops: snapchat, Facebook, twitter, instagram, youtube, linked In, Pinterest, tumblr, vine, google +

flops: Facebook (younger crowds are leaving FB)

To all the haters/unbelievers who said/say she wasn't genuine, this proves more than 10 years ago, indeed, Allen Ginsberg and Leonard Cohen and Phil Ochs were major influences

And that the message of the Reservations was inner peace and harmony.

Indeed, Brooklyn Baby rings true.

So why do places still today say there is no proof she was May Jailer? The proof always has been there.

One day looking forward for a Grateful Dead like 80 CD/LP box set except much larger

Lana is our modern day Edith Piaf. Totally unique. a mixture of Brian WIlson Roy Orbison, Leonard Cohen, Gram Parsons, Elton & Bernie. Born to Die/Paradise is comparable to Elton's Captain Fantastic. All the records need to be listened whole. Waiting for a box set vinyl of all 400 songs not on any lp

To all the haters/unbelievers who said/say she wasn't genuine, this proves more than 10 years ago, indeed, Allen Ginsberg and Leonard Cohen and Phil Ochs were major influences

And that the message of the Reservations was inner peace and harmony.

Indeed, Brooklyn Baby rings true.

So why do places still today say there is no proof she was May Jailer? The proof always has been there.

One day looking forward for a Grateful Dead like 80 CD/LP box set except much larger

Yep. Just like she named Daniel Johnston as an influence circa 2009/ 2010 but of course people were implying she had never heard of him until she met Barrie lol

To all the haters/unbelievers who said/say she wasn't genuine, this proves more than 10 years ago, indeed, Allen Ginsberg and Leonard Cohen and Phil Ochs were major influences

Yep. Just like she named Daniel Johnston as an influence circa 2009/ 2010 but of course people were implying she had never heard of him until she met Barrie lol

it's a shame this still needs to be said in this day and age, but it has everything to do with the fact that she's a woman. unlike a man in the same position, she has to prove that her influences are genuine and not just name-dropping, that the artists she admires and mentions aren't mere boyfriend suggestions (because, i mean, initiative and freethinking, in a *woman*?!), and she'll always be accused of inauthenticity and superficiality if, oh, i don't know, she doesn't know the date of release of some band's obscure b-side or the middle name of the drummer's 2nd wife. same reason why kanye west is pretty much unanimously considered a creative genius despite how many co-writers and producers he uses in an album, while beyoncé is 'just' a singer and a dancer who's 'obviously' had little input in lemonade's creative process.

it's a shame this still needs to be said in this day and age, but it has everything to do with the fact that she's a woman. unlike a man in the same position, she has to prove that her influences are genuine and not just name-dropping, that the artists she admires and mentions aren't mere boyfriend suggestions (because, i mean, initiative and freethinking, in a *woman*?!), and she'll always be accused of inauthenticity and superficiality if, oh, i don't know, she doesn't know the date of release of some band's obscure b-side or the middle name of the drummer's 2nd wife.

I'm gonna push back on this a bit. I agree this is a problem with how female artists are viewed in general, but I'm not sure how well it applies here with respect to Lana. By all accounts it sounds like Barrie & Lana bonded over their mutual pre-existing likes of the same artists. However, in interviews Lana herself has frequently described adopting many of her faves from the men in her life. And there is significant evidence, for instance, that this may have been the case with Arthur Lynn. I also don't think it's at all a stretch to view her appreciation of many of the artists she namedrops as rather superficial.

tumblr_mhs73q4yRD1qll34mo1_500.gif

Stalking you has sorta become like my occupation.

I'm gonna push back on this a bit. I agree this is a problem with how female artists are viewed in general, but I'm not sure how well it applies here with respect to Lana. By all accounts it sounds like Barrie & Lana bonded over their mutual pre-existing likes of the same artists. However, in interviews Lana herself has frequently described adopting many of her faves from the men in her life. And there is significant evidence, for instance, that this may have been the case with Arthur Lynn. I also don't think it's at all a stretch to view her appreciation of many of the artists she namedrops as rather superficial.

i don't see any problem with growing / leaning new things from the person you're with; i actually think it's rather natural and, from a personal perspective, a relationship in which that didn't happen is a relationship that wouldn't interest me for very long. in my opinion, the problem arises when said interest is automatically perceived as not genuine or just an attempt to please and/or imitate the significant other, which is what tends to happen when the 'influencee' is the woman. i also see a problem with the endless need to assess the depth - or lack thereof - of knowledge every time Lana (and most women in music) mentions an artist she likes: what is superficial? knowing 3 songs? the best-of album? and what is in-depth? rare bootlegs and the unreleased discography? and why does it matter when discussing influences? and, especially, why aren't male artists subjected to the same skeptic line of questioning?

The issue is also that she has this dichotomy in herself, where she's both this wannabe musicologist hipster who likes to listen to connoisseur music or lesser known artists (Les Baxter, Codeine etc.) ; and at the same time she loves "the masters of every genres" which always happen to be the most succesful and well known : Nirvana, Britney, Sinatra, indie darlings like Antony and the Johnsons... This struggle between this pop star sensibility in her music and attitude and snobish, hermit artist vibe, is so strong in her : the way she handles her career, promo... So I guess it's easy for a part of the press and the GP to not care at all for her, not indulge in her past music, think she's this bland girl, especially when she's had these passive-aggressive episodes with the FMWUTTP interview etc.

i don't see any problem with growing / leaning new things from the person you're with; i actually think it's rather natural and, from a personal perspective, a relationship in which that didn't happen is a relationship that wouldn't interest me for very long. in my opinion, the problem arises when said interest is automatically perceived as not genuine or just an attempt to please and/or imitate the significant other, which is what tends to happen when the 'influencee' is the woman.

Agreed. But the way Lana herself portrays some of these relationships in her interviews and lyrics they sound asymmetrical with Lana as pupil (or yes, even imitator) rather than an exchange of equals. I mean, read the way she describes her relationship with her teacher Mr. Campbell ("He taught me everything"), her metal-loving boyfriend (probably Arthur Lynn, "I wanted to be just like him"), Steven Mertens (got the whole "surf noir" thing from him), etc. And the pervasive theme of submissiveness in her lyrics feeds into it too.

i also see a problem with the endless need to assess the depth - or lack thereof - of knowledge every time Lana (and most women in music) mentions an artist she likes: what is superficial? knowing 3 songs? the best-of album? and what is in-depth? rare bootlegs and the unreleased discography? and why does it matter when discussing influences? and, especially, why aren't male artists subjected to the same skeptic line of questioning?

Speaking for myself, it's true I don't examine male artists' influences to the same degree. But it's not a sexism thing. I don't scrutinize other female artists to this degree either. I simply don't analyze any other artists to this degree because I am not into any other artists to the degree I am into Lana.

But in terms of the criticism she receives generally from the public and the media, I think more scrutiny of her influences is applied not only because of the allegation that she was "fake", but also because she was originally positioned as kind of a throwback and swimming against the current of current pop music. So it is an odd thing when she's namedropping classic artists as influences all the time, but seldom conveys more than the most superficial level of engagement with their work. She also receives more criticism for it because she simultaneously says stupid shit like this:

I thought my tastes and likes were pretty normal, but then I met everyone and I was like, “These people don’t actually care about music and art. They want to be cool.” I never met anyone who cared about music as deeply as me and my boyfriend, or who really cared about poetry—who really lived it and breathed it. I haven’t met anyone so far. I just can’t affiliate with those people.

source

tumblr_mhs73q4yRD1qll34mo1_500.gif

Stalking you has sorta become like my occupation.

Agreed. But the way Lana herself portrays some of these relationships in her interviews and lyrics they sound asymmetrical with Lana as pupil (or yes, even imitator) rather than an exchange of equals. I mean, read the way she describes her relationship with her teacher Mr. Campbell ("He taught me everything"), her metal-loving boyfriend (probably Arthur Lynn, "I wanted to be just like him"), Steven Mertens (got the whole "surf noir" thing from him), etc. And the pervasive theme of submissiveness in her lyrics feeds into it too.

Speaking for myself, it's true I don't examine male artists' influences to the same degree. But it's not a sexism thing. I don't scrutinize other female artists to this degree either. I simply don't analyze any other artists to this degree because I am not into any other artists to the degree I am into Lana.

But in terms of the criticism she receives generally from the public and the media, I think more scrutiny of her influences is applied not only because of the allegation that she was "fake", but also because she was originally positioned as kind of a throwback and swimming against the current of current pop music. So it is an odd thing when she's namedropping classic artists as influences all the time, but seldom conveys more than the most superficial level of engagement with their work. She also receives more criticism for it because she simultaneously says stupid shit like this:

source

lmao that quote is the silliest thing Lana has ever said, along with: 'I found it hard to make friends in school, because I was a cerebral person'.

To be honest, Lana often gives the vibe of the typical tumblr hipster who thinks that being into Beat poetry and Camus and French New Wave films and whatnot make them so different and they think that they're so special because they think about the ~deep~ questions in life, thus they are so misunderstood and all. 'Ride' is like the epitome of that

Not really sure what the conversation is about, but it's my impression that when LDR drops names, she is often merely stating that she likes something (usually in response to questions like "who do you like?"). So for instance, she likes Jeff Buckley, Bob Dylan, Leonard Cohen, and Eminem but she doesn't try to emulate them (generally). I suppose if people automatically assumed she were citing influences she'd come off pretentious, but I don't interpret her that way. Perhaps using Ginsberg and Whitman in a music video is different, as presenting them along side her art is a statement that her art relates to those people's art, which can be assessed subjectively as either interesting or not, but the authenticity in making such a statement is a red herring. A similar argument goes for Daniel Johnson. She (with Barrie on guitar?) covered his song so her interest is authentic, even if doing so was intended to motivate people to see the film she helped fund.

And maybe she knew about DJ before Barrie, but didn't really get into him until seeing how much Barrie was into him. So what? I mean, she got me into Bob Dylan, whom I certainly heard of before LDR, but for whatever reason was never motivated enough to check him out. However, her recommendation bootstrapped my interest, and the quality of what I found continued the interest. BTW, I credit Barrie for introducing me to Elliott Smith, Nick Drake, and Chelsea Wolfe. All he had to do was tweet or post on his facebook an indication that they were worth checking out, and the artists (2 out of 3 dead, alas) did the rest. However, I think the larger point is: I wasn't aware of them as artists, that I would really like, prior to his stanning for them.