Sign in to follow this  
ilovetati

Lust for Life Reviews/Metacritic Thread

A solid 69. I think tracks like Coachella, LFL, SB will really hurt the critic'a scoring but the middle to the latter half of the album will be praised, like all her other albums. Regardless, who cares. Her most critically acclaimed album is her most boring imo.

I'm in love with the green on the grass and the trees, the scent of my sidewalks perfumed by the rain/ I'm in love with the tunes that colored my youth/ and the smudges of autumn that spill through the pane/I'm in love, just in a different way/ and that's okay.

A solid 69. I think tracks like Coachella, LFL, SB will really hurt the critic'a scoring but the middle to the latter half of the album will be praised, like all her other albums. Regardless, who cares. Her most critically acclaimed album is her most boring imo.

And Lizorde gets a 91 for a safe, Jack Antonoff-produced album appealing to straights :rip:

Somewhere between 66-75, Hoping for a good 72 though.

She already admitted that she thinks its "lack of cohesiveness" or whatever might not make it a critically acclaimed record, but she's gotten over it, its for us so we shouldn't care either.

I think it'll be around 73, I hope I'm wrong tho...

That's true, HM is her most boring one and the critics loved it, while they weren't really happy with Paradise &UV which are her best...

tumblr_plbqy2X0Hg1twenha_400.gif

every song thus far has been green besides LfL iirc, and since the latter half of the album falls more in line with CWIMM and SB/GL appeal to the smoky Cherry/13/WM/IMF I think critics will really enjoy it. Lana's lyricism has been a lot more updated (lets be real the bar is low, she could change every blue mention to red or green and we'd think she invented fire, bc lets be real again she would've invented fire w/ that kind of ingenuity & versatility  :oprah3: ), even in HM there were songs that were kinda BtD in theme & trashiness but still fit the feel of the album to compensate. 

As much as i love Salvatore its a gorgeous song but has one liners that reuse a hugeee shtick she fell upon during her BtD/pre-BtD days.

However the record so far hasn't shown that, everything is as smoky and hot as it should be in its own right. I'm feeling a high 70 to a mid 80, if the songs just keep getting better and her vocals are on pitch then maybe her first 90; even if it's as big a reach as im thinkin

And Lizorde gets a 91 for a safe, Jack Antonoff-produced album appealing to straights :rip:

its because of radio promo and comeback nostalgia

The metacritic score for Honeymoon is around seventy eight, so I predict that Lust for Life will be above that score. I notice that most of the mixed reviews of Honeymoon is that the album in their opinion is boring, played too safe, or expressively expressive-less music. Lust for Life is so much different, with songs like Coachella - Woodstock In My Mind and collabs with artists like ASAP Rocky and The Weeknd. And no offence, I love Melodrama, but if Melodrama by Lorde can get an metacritic score above ninety, Lust for Life might too. Or atleast somewhere between eighty and ninety.

People that say between UV and HM clearly don't realise it's literally like a one point margin.

I hope it does wel, like high seventies again. I want to guess 75+ but it totally depends on the song contents.

What I can tell from the snippets that might contribute to LFL's success:

- the production isn't as clean at BTD. BTD was marked down for the production being too flawless and not raw.

- there's a good variation on instrumentals. Some songs are very pop and upbeat, some songs are very guitar heavy for some more "raw" pieces.

- good variation of style (rock, rap, pop with the collabs) but this may also count as inconsistency.

- tempo variations! She might be singing the fastest in LFL than she has in a long time (see in my feelings)

But we'll see! Fingers crossed for 75+ girls! She's done too well to fall now.

Idk lll be shocked if LFL gets a higher score than Honeymoon with 79+. That's universal critical acclaim. Her politically driven songs could help her or hurt her. Critics may say they don't contribute a solution and that she played them too safe. The variation in music style throughout could be praised or criticized for messiness and incohesiveness.

However, when I first heard Lana was changing up her lyrical theme this time around, my initial thought was that critics would rave. She's been criticized every album cycle for having "shallow" and "anti-feminist" lyrics whereas on LFL these lyrics contribute a very socially aware and inspiring message to women and children who may be most affected by the current political climate of the US. Critics may really appreciate Lana's newfound lyrical inspiration, but critics have a tendency to be huge hypocrites too so who knows. She's giving us a sonic mix between UV (praised for its production) and HONEYMOON (also praised for its production) so it's likely she may be praised for the sound as well but docked points for duds like CWIMM or even SB.

We'll see.

I'm in love with the green on the grass and the trees, the scent of my sidewalks perfumed by the rain/ I'm in love with the tunes that colored my youth/ and the smudges of autumn that spill through the pane/I'm in love, just in a different way/ and that's okay.