Luda

Lana Del Rey Genre?

What genre would you consider each of the Lana albums? I'm just curious, because I'm trying to figure out what to call them on my iTunes.

iTunes has Born to Die listed as Alternative.

The hard copy of Born to Die is self labeled "Indie Rock" once I uploaded it to iTunes.

2dt29zc.jpg

Wikipedia has Born to Die as Baroque Pop, Sirens as Alternative folk and LDRAKALG as Pop Rock. I have Born to Die as Pop and LDRAKALG as Pop Rock. I don't have Sirens under any genre.

Caesar said he’d fall in love with me if I was older. I own all of Mexico and I got my own roller-coaster.

born to die + btd deluxe as hollywood sadcore

unreleased shit as alternative

kill kill ep as surf noir

lizzy grant eps as blues

nevada (or lana del ray a.k.a lizzy grant, but nevada sounds so much better) as surf noir

sirens as country

ik the lizzy grant ones aren't blues but idek i only use my itunes for syncing anyways

4r9w86.jpg

Yeah, I need more all-encompassing genres than "Hollywood Sadcore" :P

I put it all under Indie Pop, I believe. Makes the most sense of any of the conventional options.

inb4 evilentity posts a Kirkegaard quote

As a whole, alternative pop. Someone like Ellie Goulding fits into this genre as well.

People think "pop' is a dirty word, like it discredits someones music, but she is essentially commercial enough to be pop, yet still non-mainstream enough to be an alternative type of artist too.

Other names like baroque pop and hollywood sadcore are cute, but also hugely pretentious and not needed. There IS a genre for her, we don't need to create ones.

The only "folk" album she has is Sirens, but that only sounds folky because it's unfinished and raw with guitar only.

On my itunes I have BTD as Pop, LDRakaLG as Alternative, and Sirens as Alternative Folk, but tbh it doesn't really matter, put the albums in the genres that you think fit best!

4VgqAMv.gif

~xxx~

I know, but no one ever goes into a record store and asks where "the baroque pop section is?".

I've given it some thought. :P It's too vague a term to be massively accepted, and seriously; the only Lana song(s) I would consider "Baroque Pop" are the demo version of "4 K Pt. 2" and "Video Games."

Born To Die/Paradise Edition: Hollywood Sadcore

AKA: Alternative (considering changing that to surf noir as that sounds a lot nicer)

Sirens: Alternative Folk

I haven't organised my unreleased/demo/EP shit yet though, haha.

And I don't really see how BTD is indie rock but that's what iTunes put it as at first...

tumblr_inline_mpf5hqIjBE1ruk3rs.gif

The term Baroque Pop is mostly a joke. It irks me, not because it’s “pretentious” or anything like that, but because it’s simply inaccurate. The majority of the stuff that’s given that label exhibits no Baroque elements whatsoever, but it seems that as soon as a pop song has a chamber string arrangement and some woodwinds suddenly it’s Baroque Pop. I think Chamber Pop is a much more suitable name.

I think this is one of the few songs that can actually fit Baroque Pop and make some sense:

"The limits of my language mean the limits of my world." -Wittgenstein