Radiohead Sues Lana for Copyright Infringement on "Get Free"

All those years Lana has spent building her reputation, slowly getting acclaim and respect gone down the toilet in a matter of a few days. It reeks of greed and misogyny,pure and simple.

RIP to the small chance she might of actually won the Grammy aswell and actually her attending the event. They certainly won't give it to her now FFS.

This is not a milli vanilli situation. She has been in the industry for years and has built a following and a reputation that will not be destroyed by this, no matter how the case eventually goes. It does not diminish her past (or most likely future) accomplishments and general impact she has made on the scene. And based on what others are saying on the internet, it seems people are really divided on this, meaning there are a lot of people who support Lana on this one and see the case as ridiculous. Yes, the case does provide more fuel for people who already hate her as an artist, but there are always haters for every artist no matter what they do. 

She will come out on the other side of all this. 

It would be funny if Lana got sued for FMWUTTT or Cola... imagine how awkward it will be for the judge when they have to listen to the tracks lmao

Lana: "Yes it's true your honor. My pussy does in fact taste like Pepsi-cola."

♡  standing stoic blue and denim, eyes not blue but clear like heaven 

Whether it's legally actionable is anyone's guess, but I see many people in this thread are in stan denial about the significant similarities between the verses of "Get Free" and "Creep"-- not just in the chord progressions, but the melodies. I mean, it's so blatant that many, many reviews noted it at the time of the release, one even predicting legal action. Here's just a sampling from several major publications:

The closing track, Get Free, is an overly wordy manifesto for personal change completely undermined by the fact that she has blatantly stolen the verse chord progression and melody from Radiohead’s Creep, a much better outsider pop manifesto. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if law suits ensue. Well, even beautiful people have problems.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/music/what-to-listen-to/lana-del-rey-lust-life-review-pop-star-selfie-generationis-real/

It’s unfortunate that she has borrowed so heavily from Radiohead’s “Creep” on closing track “Get Free”, while it’s undoubtably a tribute to one of the few songs that can make her music seem upbeat, it jars on an album where, for the most part, her influences have been more subtly worked into the instrumentation.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/reviews/lana-del-rey-lust-for-life-album-review-tracklist-features-the-weeknd-aap-rocky-a7852166.html

And she closes the album with “Get Free,” which hints at both old girl-group songs and Radiohead’s “Creep” as she resolves to dump someone: 

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/19/arts/music/lana-del-rey-lust-for-life-review.html

As for the music, ["Get Free"] has all the signature elements of a Lana production, circa Born To Die: the surf guitars, breathy sighs and nostalgic melodies. (In this case, the verses evoke Radiohead‘s “Creep.”)

https://muumuse.com/2017/07/lana-del-rey-get-free.html/

In typical Del Rey fashion, there’s homage paid to other artists: alongside nods to The Beatles, finale track “Get Free” bears a not-so-subtle similarity to the chords on Radiohead’s “Creep”

http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/article/lana-del-rey-lust-for-life-review

Lmao fuck that nytimes excerpt, all they got from the song was that she’s making amends to simply dump someone? Really? That’s all you took from the song? What a shitty critic and reviewer yikes.

4k dislikes  :biblio:

It has 2 million views now

The comments are full of Lana haters omg it makes me so mad and so sad  :ohno:  SHE DOESN'T DESERVE THIS  :aw:

~~~My body is stuck in the ocean ugcs3%2Fv3%2Fproject_attachments%2FGC6xU My mind is lost in the universe*** 

Goddamn people is so ignorant

I'm sure the haters didn't even listen to a half-minute of GF

"ser bella me dio privilegios, pero ser astuta me dio poder"  :makeup:

Its hurting me so much because im seeing trashy locals who bop to Ed Sheeran and Drake starting to hate on Lana and Get Free and its making me so angry because Get Free is such a special song to all of us arghijlkdsjflsjda. I feel like a mother lion protecting her babies LEAVE MY QUEEN ALONE :crying4: :air:

Everyone hating Lana in the comments, I'm about to cry

IKR ITS PISSING ME OFF. Any other song wouldn't be so cutting, but this is GET FREEEE :(

7cf18f916c76496838bb078b36ed9708af32170e

Guys YouTube comments mean absolutely nothing. Don't stoop that low to let yourself read them and CERTAINLY don't comment back. As they're not going to change anything about the lawsuit, better to keep it classy and stay above it all

upsetting how Lana’s literally shied away from major press and promo and media for years to avoid the sort of bandwagon misogynistic hatred of her that existed for a while and has just been reliably releasing music quietly for her fans, and yet she STILL CANT GET A FUCKING BREAK because of these fucking greedy capitalist pigs who have not only tarnished a song of great personal significance to many but have also opened up yet another controversy and backlash

what is lanaboards.com in one comment you ask? : 

looks like we have a bad case of the feels. Lana is a big girl guys, I think she can handle some bad press

once again, this board places their personal feelings above the facts at hand. get free is extremely similar to creep. the halsey talk is beyond me.

its funny how all the GF praise is in here as if that makes the case better. the best song on the album is.. copied? ha.

it brings a tear to my eye seeing members cry over capitalism. im glad something like this is able to happen, if Lana wanted to sue hasley she very well could but that's her personal decision