Radiohead Sues Lana for Copyright Infringement on "Get Free"

I'm really starting to dislike Radiohead now... I'm a great fan of their early albums (#2 and #3), but now I'm actually having trouble enjoying their music. Btw Radiohead should stop sueing other artists and start writing good music with memorable melodies again, like they did in the 90's.

ok I'm done fighting people it's too much negative energy I need a break..Imma go listen to get free  :hooker:

~~~My body is stuck in the ocean ugcs3%2Fv3%2Fproject_attachments%2FGC6xU My mind is lost in the universe*** 

At least this gives exposure to one of her best songs. I hope that some people will see more than the lawsuit and actually like the song. The like to dislike ratio of Get Free on youtube is pretty depressing though.

You call me lavender, you call me sunshine.

kiddies you got to remember something-

let's say the lawyers hammer it out, and RadioH gets 40 to 50%.

Of course, Albert Hammond is going to want his fair share (being that it is his song more than RadioH

so that means another huge chunk.

It's a no win situation.

And if you were Albert Hammond, and already successfully won a suit vs. RadioH it goes without saying he will need something

(along with his and Mike Hazelwood's name on the credits) too.

Lana is our modern day Edith Piaf. Totally unique. a mixture of Brian WIlson Roy Orbison, Leonard Cohen, Gram Parsons, Elton & Bernie. Born to Die/Paradise is comparable to Elton's Captain Fantastic. All the records need to be listened whole. Waiting for a box set vinyl of all 400 songs not on any lp

The judge when Thom starts playing Creep

giphy.gif

The judge when Lana starts playing Get Free

giphy.gif

CASE CLOSED.

7cf18f916c76496838bb078b36ed9708af32170e

All those years Lana has spent building her reputation, slowly getting acclaim and respect gone down the toilet in a matter of a few days. It reeks of greed and misogyny,pure and simple.

RIP to the small chance she might of actually won the Grammy aswell and actually her attending the event. They certainly won't give it to her now FFS.

tumblr_oizsprgz5s1ux9njjo1_400.gif?w=371                                                                

Picture this at the Grammys

​go back a little bit prior to perhaps the single greatest Grammy moment of all time

​Neil Diamond releases an album with a solo song on it

​Barbra Streisand 

some dj puts them together

​Neil and Barbra appear on the Grammy's in the single most electrifying duet on the grammy's (perhaps later rivaled by Elton/Eminem)

​someone call Neil Portonow and have a duet of Creep/Get Free/Air that I breathe on the show

(of course, Lana won't perform on tv, but its a nice thought)

Lana is our modern day Edith Piaf. Totally unique. a mixture of Brian WIlson Roy Orbison, Leonard Cohen, Gram Parsons, Elton & Bernie. Born to Die/Paradise is comparable to Elton's Captain Fantastic. All the records need to be listened whole. Waiting for a box set vinyl of all 400 songs not on any lp

Whether it's legally actionable is anyone's guess, but I see many people in this thread are in stan denial about the significant similarities between the verses of "Get Free" and "Creep"-- not just in the chord progressions, but the melodies. I mean, it's so blatant that many, many reviews noted it at the time of the release, one even predicting legal action. Here's just a sampling from several major publications:

The closing track, Get Free, is an overly wordy manifesto for personal change completely undermined by the fact that she has blatantly stolen the verse chord progression and melody from Radiohead’s Creep, a much better outsider pop manifesto. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if law suits ensue. Well, even beautiful people have problems.

It’s unfortunate that she has borrowed so heavily from Radiohead’s “Creep” on closing track “Get Free”, while it’s undoubtably a tribute to one of the few songs that can make her music seem upbeat, it jars on an album where, for the most part, her influences have been more subtly worked into the instrumentation.

And she closes the album with “Get Free,” which hints at both old girl-group songs and Radiohead’s “Creep” as she resolves to dump someone: 

As for the music, ["Get Free"] has all the signature elements of a Lana production, circa Born To Die: the surf guitars, breathy sighs and nostalgic melodies. (In this case, the verses evoke Radiohead‘s “Creep.”)

In typical Del Rey fashion, there’s homage paid to other artists: alongside nods to The Beatles, finale track “Get Free” bears a not-so-subtle similarity to the chords on Radiohead’s “Creep”

tumblr_mhs73q4yRD1qll34mo1_500.gif

Stalking you has sorta become like my occupation.

All those years Lana has spent building her reputation, slowly getting acclaim and respect gone down the toilet in a matter of a few days. It reeks of greed and misogyny,pure and simple.

RIP to the small chance she might of actually won the Grammy aswell and actually her attending the event. They certainly won't give it to her now FFS.

Someone said voting season is over so maybe not. And it's really not that serious, alot of people are on Lana's side

lana-del-rey-just-for-life-anatomy-nss-m

Whether it's legally actionable is anyone's guess, but I see many people in this thread are in stan denial about the significant similarities between the verses of "Get Free" and "Creep"-- not just in the chord progressions, but the melodies. I mean, it's so blatant that many, many reviews noted it at the time of the release, one even predicting legal action. Here's just a sampling from several major publications:

The closing track, Get Free, is an overly wordy manifesto for personal change completely undermined by the fact that she has blatantly stolen the verse chord progression and melody from Radiohead’s Creep, a much better outsider pop manifesto. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if law suits ensue. Well, even beautiful people have problems.

It’s unfortunate that she has borrowed so heavily from Radiohead’s “Creep” on closing track “Get Free”, while it’s undoubtably a tribute to one of the few songs that can make her music seem upbeat, it jars on an album where, for the most part, her influences have been more subtly worked into the instrumentation.

And she closes the album with “Get Free,” which hints at both old girl-group songs and Radiohead’s “Creep” as she resolves to dump someone: 

As for the music, ["Get Free"] has all the signature elements of a Lana production, circa Born To Die: the surf guitars, breathy sighs and nostalgic melodies. (In this case, the verses evoke Radiohead‘s “Creep.”)

In typical Del Rey fashion, there’s homage paid to other artists: alongside nods to The Beatles, finale track “Get Free” bears a not-so-subtle similarity to the chords on Radiohead’s “Creep”

a fool could say otherwise..40% was enough tho 

...just you and me feeling the heat even when the sun goes down...

Someone said voting season is over so maybe not. And it's really not that serious, alot of people are on Lana's side

I hope so :)

I just don't like the idea of her going back in her shell especially since she made an amazing way forward with L4L emotionally at least.

tumblr_oizsprgz5s1ux9njjo1_400.gif?w=371                                                                

This attention whores only want $$$, the songs are practically differents, similar parts are minimal and purely coincidental. 

"ser bella me dio privilegios, pero ser astuta me dio poder"  :makeup:

To me it seems like Radiohead is intentionally milking the legal system to make some kind of abstract point, and LDR's song (with its chord progression) was in the wrong place at the wrong time. In other words, if this isn't just a label-reflex action, and does indeed reflect some kind of personal meaning for Radiohead, its meaning *might* be "hey we got sued for no reason, when you really take the trouble to consider it, so we're just going to do the same thing to demonstrate how easy it is-- doing unto others as they did unto us. If you don't like the result of this exercise, then change the law".  So if they win (100%), they could disavow the result and cede the rights back to LDR. (I mean it could happen; we're talking about a specific hypothesis where they think their Hollies plagiarism suit was bogus and want to convince others of that. Of course, I understand that this hypothesis could be false.) More interestingly if they lose (0%), might they not re-litigate the Hollies (or the songwriters') suit? Don't know enough about law to know, but can't precedents sometimes be overruled in later litigation?

BTW, Air that I Breath and Creep seem like really different songs, imo, and I do not care about the chord progression. However, RH being sued by ATIB's writers was complicated by RH actually quoting an ATIB *verse melody* in the bridge of Creep (methinks this is the case), so it's not like RH can say they weren't at all "inspired" by the song. I.E. they do a postmodern reference to it. LDR says she wasn't inspired by Creep, but I think she should at least say (as it's the crux of her case?), that chords like the ones in Creep were useful to fleshing out the song, but she thought that such chords were in the public domain.

Finally there's the 100% thingey, and why RH demands this, and thereby seemingly demands to go to court. It can't be because the songs are 100% the same, because, LOL, they are not. It could be a punitive amount designed to punish crossing a line somebody feels shouldn't be crossed, in order to discourage others from crossing it. This is a 180 degrees counter-hypothesis to the hypothesis I gave above (oh well). However, as others have brought up, using the chord progression (uncredited) doesn't seem like something you could punish somebody too severely for, given using the same chords is something you can legally do  (or can you?). At any rate, shouldn't *the limit* on how much LDR pay up be exactly how much the songwriters of ATIB got from RH?

It would be funny if Lana got sued for FMWUTTT or Cola... imagine how awkward it will be for the judge when they have to listen to the tracks lmao

7cf18f916c76496838bb078b36ed9708af32170e