Instagram Updates

“u don’t ever have to be stronger than u really are

when ur lying in my arms

baby

u don’t ever have to

go faster than ur fastest pace

or faster than my fastest cars“

49093006537_7ae76bb4ce_o.jpg

• 4.18.14 • 5.1.14 • 9.20.14 • 5.28.15 • 6.14.15 • 7.28.16 • 7.24.17 • 10.23.17 • 10.24.17 • 1.25.18 • 2.5.18 • 12.5.18 • 10.3.19 • 10.11.19 • 11.16.19 •

SF • ATL • ATL • IND • ATL • CHI • LDN • NYC • NYC • DC • ATL • NYC • PDX • SAN • KS

“Some people were just born to sing. I just want to say congratulations to Weyes Blood on your new record. You are an endless source of inspiration to me and I’m super grateful for your music.

@weyesblood”

“Titanic Rising out now @weyesblood”

49093006537_7ae76bb4ce_o.jpg

• 4.18.14 • 5.1.14 • 9.20.14 • 5.28.15 • 6.14.15 • 7.28.16 • 7.24.17 • 10.23.17 • 10.24.17 • 1.25.18 • 2.5.18 • 12.5.18 • 10.3.19 • 10.11.19 • 11.16.19 •

SF • ATL • ATL • IND • ATL • CHI • LDN • NYC • NYC • DC • ATL • NYC • PDX • SAN • KS

no word for her girlfriend of 8 years though :rip: 

These sorts of "artists stanning other artists" events are pretty rare, imo, and shouldn't be considered completely random at first blush for that reason, even though I know LDR stans other artists occasionally (including Marina), but seldom so overwhelmingly.

So of course I had to stream Titanic Rising (released today) to see if it was worth the hype; I hadn't heard of the group before. Worth the hype? Possibly. There certainly is an artist worth exploring there. She's a great technical singer (and arranger) but with a lot less emotional range (and risk taking) than LDR in her singing (i.e., the kind of risk taking that sometimes makes people think you can't sing controllably). She's also Sub Pop records and I noticed (in Wikipedia) that she had done work with Father John Misty on his last album (on the title track). The second half of her Titanic album also reminds of FJM a bit. I wonder if FJM recommended her to LDR.

Finally, the interesting thing to observe now is if and how Weyes Blood responds. I'm hoping for a request for NFR's release date in some artist-to-artist banter (and maybe that's what LDR is hoping to, but who knows). Also LDR might be rattling her label a bit, by insinuating a possible move to Sub Pop, perhaps a better tribute to Kurt's passing today (in 1994)?

These sorts of "artists stanning other artists" events are pretty rare, imo, and shouldn't be considered completely random at first blush for that reason, even though I know LDR stans other artists occasionally (including Marina), but seldom so overwhelmingly.

So of course I had to stream Titanic Rising (released today) to see if it was worth the hype; I hadn't heard of the group before. Worth the hype? Possibly. There certainly is an artist worth exploring there. She's a great technical singer (and arranger) but with a lot less emotional range (and risk taking) than LDR in her singing (i.e., the kind of risk taking that sometimes makes people think you can't sing controllably). She's also Sub Pop records and I noticed (in Wikipedia) that she had done work with Father John Misty on his last album (on the title track). The second half of her Titanic album also reminds of FJM a bit. I wonder if FJM recommended her to LDR.

Finally, the interesting thing to observe now is if and how Weyes Blood responds. I'm hoping for a request for NFR's release date in some artist-to-artist banter (and maybe that's what LDR is hoping to, but who knows). Also LDR might be rattling her label a bit, by insinuating a possible move to Sub Pop, perhaps a better tribute to Kurt's passing today (in 1994)?

i already knew weyes blood bc i follow sub pop closely & was anticipating this album bc it got really good reviews pre-release, but was pretty surprised to see lana make a whole post about it. not bc the music isn't lana's style (it is), but bc i never saw her mentioning any of the artists from the same circle/genre like US girls, jessica pratt, even mitski, etc. i think this means she's (even more) openly courting a certain type of alt audience and wants to be lumped with those kind of artists rather than the usual pop suspects (as if a 9 min shoegazey single wasn't a big enough clue lol).

a move to sub pop would be VERY interesting, but even though they're a big label nowadays i'm not sure they have the kind of money needed to sign someone like lana with all that implies. i'm also curious about weyes blood's response!

i already knew weyes blood bc i follow sub pop closely & was anticipating this album bc it got really good reviews pre-release, but was pretty surprised to see lana make a whole post about it. not bc the music isn't lana's style (it is), but bc i never saw her mentioning any of the artists from the same circle/genre like US girls, jessica pratt, even mitski, etc. i think this means she's (even more) openly courting a certain type of alt audience and wants to be lumped with those kind of artists rather than the usual pop suspects (as if a 9 min shoegazey single wasn't a big enough clue lol).

a move to sub pop would be VERY interesting, but even though they're a big label nowadays i'm not sure they have the kind of money needed to sign someone like lana with all that implies. i'm also curious about weyes blood's response!

I'm back from the Weyes Blood thread in entertainment/music, where I thought I saw a selfie of her and LDR together, so they do have some kind of history together that I've been asleep on. And this thread also says LDR's stanned her earlier. So maybe LDR is trying to get WB to tour with her a bit (that fits LDR's MO for such?).

^ She's kinda boring

She does have a much tighter style than LDR (judging that one record and one listen only), but I can't tell if over repeated listens it'll get tiring. I mean I like Regina Spektor and Enya, so I suspect I'll like WB as well.

http://instagram.com/p/BwG7FOWDQbM/

Caption:

but until then
may I always keep my eyes level to this skyline
assessing the glittering new development
off of the coast of Long Beach
never to heaven or revenant
because I have faith in man as strange as that seems in times like these
and it’s not just because of the warmth i’ve found in your brown eyes
but because I believe in the goodness in me
that it’s firm enough to plant a flag in

or a rosebud

or to build a new life

http://instagram.com/p/BwG7HzODf2U/

Caption:

It’s times like this as the marine layer lifts
off the sea on the dock with the candle lit
that I think to myself
there are things you still don’t know about me
like sometimes I’m afraid my sadness is too big
and that one day you might have to help me handle it

http://instagram.com/p/BwG7PPDjAyK/

I'm kinda focused on being a baddie right now. I can't really work.

^
While it is good to compare LDR's poems to others (e.g., Amanda Lovelace), the abstract characteristic of cringiness doesn't do either poet much justice. In reviewing AL (a little), she obviously is more agenda-oriented than LDR (even if I think LDR supports the agenda):

It's also interesting is to compare LDR to someone from her field (i.e., artsy pop/rock) that we know she likes and that also wrote poems (although I'm not sure he tried to publish them):

----------------------
Her latest poem is a good example of how non-prevailing prototypical Christian beliefs can be in her art (as opposed to whatever her non-prototypical beliefs may be). I mean it's kind of an existential anthem, isn't it?