Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Pre-Release Thread

I hope the album will have another song like Shades of Cool. Shades of Cool is my alltime favorite Lana song, next to Black Beauty and The Blackest Day, which is funny cause Black Beauty and Shades of Cool basically have the exact same message. Mariners Apartment Complex is kinda in the same vein where she's singing about a depressed lover, but it's not really a sad song.

qfrWuBl.png

I hope the album will have another song like Shades of Cool. Shades of Cool is my alltime favorite Lana song, next to Black Beauty and The Blackest Day, which is funny cause Black Beauty and Shades of Cool basically have the exact same message. Mariners Apartment Complex is kinda in the same vein where she's singing about a depressed lover, but it's not really a sad song.

I hope she doesn’t get too virtuous, and especially too PC. MAC strikes me as moving as far in that direction as I would like her to go. I like the more irresponsible LDR of many of her unreleased tracks, since a certain ‘moral compass’ is obvious in many of her songs—‘BTD,’ ‘Ride,’ ‘American,’ ‘Old Money,’ etc.

haha no they're not on Spotify! But I hope to upload them once I release my next album which isn't happening anytime soon :rip:

I could send you a link to download my songs though! Cassis and the EPs, Gemstones and Music for Sleeping. Whatever you want :)

Yes please! <3 If you could DM me the links :)

I'll do it for the right reasons

Withstanding all the time, changes and seasons

~?~

hello its the most famous woman you know on the ipad... maybe she's pulling a U2 and nfr will come pre downloaded on the next release of the ipad? wasn't they keynote speech she was at for the ipad pro? solved it laid eez pre order your ipad now and thank me later <3 mpg was her coming out as a capitalist

UbsOye5.png

Hope Is a Dangerous Thing is her closest territory to Father John Misty lyrically and she carries it off very well imo. The iPad line is unironically great.

"It's 2011, and we should all be aware of exactly how fast technology is developing" - Lana Del Rey

Hope Is a Dangerous Thing is her closest territory to Father John Misty lyrically and she carries it off very well imo. The iPad line is unironically great.

When you put it that way, I agree. FJM always paints pictures with his lyrics, and I definitely get that vibe with HIADT too.

♡  standing stoic blue and denim, eyes not blue but clear like heaven 

Not my favourite topic to discuss, but because some of you like to discuss the way she looks... I found this old interview from 2013 and what struck me was the following (and I still believe this pretty much applies to her still):

First, let’s talk about your style, because you definitely have it. Was there an iconic figure that influenced that?

Like musically?

No . . .
More looks-wise? Well, vibe-wise. The funny thing is that my style is something that no one ever asked me about until a couple of years ago. For years it was all music driven. I really loved Nina Simone; Kurt Cobain was my driving influence; I listen to everything Bob Dylan did . . . But in terms of actual style icons, female icons? No. I was impressed with what someone like Karl Lagerfeld built and did and the house that he made, but there was never really a female figure I wanted to emulate.

Karl Lagerfeld? That’s really interesting because I never would have associated the look you have with someone like him.
Yeah, I know. But a lot of the reason my look is the way it is is because it’s really easy to put on a sundress every night if I have to perform—or just wear jeans every day and a flannel or something. Stylistically, I love make-up. I love doing my own make-up and stuff, but clothes-wise, I actually didn’t ever really care. Initially the fashion world was more interested in me than the music world, which was strange when I first started singing.

Your music and your image often seem inseparable.
Yeah. It is now, but it shouldn’t be. I don’t actually care. But because of the way I look, it looks like I really do care.

So that means you do separate the music from . . .
Yeah, because I don’t believe . . . well, I don’t know how to put it. I don’t think it’s appropriate to try and look extremely beautiful. I don’t think it’s a good message or focus. I actually have been writing and singing on the Lower East Side since I was seventeen, but a lot of a person’s history doesn’t really translate.

So how important is it to have total control over your image, especially today?
It’s important—really important. It’s hard, though. It’s gotten totally taken away from me. I don’t have that much control because things go viral really quickly. I went from having no real fan base or interest to having a lot of really skewed interest and criticism. But for the majority of eight years before that in New York, I sang to the same people in the same bars and had a pretty comfortable experience doing that. That’s not really possible for me anymore, because bloggers are really influential and people are really influenced by reviews and five star critics. And those people are really influenced by images, and what they see quickly. Also, a lot of what’s been written about me is not true: of my family history or my choices or my interests. Actually, I’ve never read anything written about me that was true. It’s been completely crazy.

When did you realize that it had gotten out of control?
The first day that anyone ever wrote about me, as soon as I put “Video Games” up. Everything they wrote was fucking crazy. Like about my dad, about me, like having millions of dollars, and all this shit. I was like, “Really? I thought I was supporting everyone!” [laughing] Everything was not true. As soon as the first person wrote about me, the articles became just blatant, all-out lies. I consider it slander. If I cared more, I’d kill them.

Obviously you will know that in preparation for this interview I read a lot of that stuff.
Yeah, but none of it’s true.

Because there does actually seem to be a disconnect between your public image . . .
And who I am?

And the private life you talk about.
There is a disconnect, yeah. I spent the last ten years in community service and writing folk songs. I don’t give a fuck about what I look like. Saying I came from billions of dollars is crazy. We never had any money. I feel, as a person who grew up reading about and being inspired by other figures with integrity, to kind of be turned into the antithesis of that is not what I planned. It’s the way it’s going right now, but I deal with it as it comes.

I think it's admirable that she's honest about "not caring", and I feel like she gets to be herself after all this time. I guess with this album cycle it really is supposed to be all about the music, and that's fantastic. 

Sorry for the long quote. If you want to read the entire interview, you can find it here.

(also sorry for being bitter lately, I'm currently under a lot of stress, and stress makes me mean lmao)

Wasn't she underage at the time she produced Melodrama? Sis................

She was 17 when Pure Heroin came out. She was about 19 or 20 by the time they were making Melodrama, she even said that it has a lot of emotions you feel at that age

giphy.gif

if i fuck this model and she just bleached her asshole and i get bleach on my t-shirt, imma feel like an asshole

Also, the fact that Lana immediately assumed the interviewer was asking her about her style musically rather than her looks just affirms that that kind of style is not the first thing she thinks of lmao. She's in it for the music.

The fact that she feels that there is a disconnect between her public image and "who [she] is", to me, feels kind of disturbing. In the first place, because do we actually know "who [she] is"? It made me think of MAC, where she told us: "And who I am is a big time believer".

And in the second place, imagine trying to be someone you're not. Must've been weird for her, to say the least. Hopefully she doesn't feel that way anymore and maybe we'll see reflections of that in her new music. 

I actually think the iPad line is sweet. But I don't really like the "fucking white gown" and "shaking my ass" lines all that much. I think I get the point of them, in that she's saying that she sexualizes herself and parties mindlessly to stave off the dark thoights (I thiiink this is what she's getting at?); but the wording seems especially vulgar with the soft production and otherwise darkly sweet lyricism that it makes it off putting to me. Though that may be the point, idk. I should probably go back and listen again.

im going on vacation next week and was really hoping back in December that id have NFR to listen to lmao

I am going on a trip in July: I was sure i’d Have it as well... Logically we should have. And now, I don’t even know if we’ll have the lead in July hahahahaha

Not my favourite topic to discuss, but because some of you like to discuss the way she looks... I found this old interview from 2013 and what struck me was the following (and I still believe this pretty much applies to her still):

I think it's admirable that she's honest about "not caring", and I feel like she gets to be herself after all this time. I guess with this album cycle it really is supposed to be all about the music, and that's fantastic. 

Sorry for the long quote. If you want to read the entire interview, you can find it here.

(also sorry for being bitter lately, I'm currently under a lot of stress, and stress makes me mean lmao)

So I was right. Her whole look really was practically forced on her. Huh.

I'm kinda focused on being a baddie right now. I can't really work.

I am going on a trip in July: I was sure i’d Have it as well...

NFR is a dangerous thing for us stans to have - but we don’t have it

So I was right. Her whole look really was practically forced on her. Huh.

Probably forced it on herself not knowing what to do with the sudden virality (?) of Video Games and subsequent fame, imo. Trying to hold onto that momentum where everything was happening for her to get things started. Shit, imagine if something like that were to happen to you. I wouldn’t know what to do lol!

"Well, I thought so, too. I thought my tastes and likes were pretty normal, but then I met everyone and I was like, “These people don’t actually care about music and art. They want to be cool.” I never met anyone who cared about music as deeply as me and my boyfriend, or who really cared about poetry—who really lived it and breathed it. I haven’t met anyone so far. I just can’t affiliate with those people."

I'm just going to bold these statements and leave this here.

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream

"Well, I thought so, too. I thought my tastes and likes were pretty normal, but then I met everyone and I was like, “These people don’t actually care about music and art. They want to be cool.” I never met anyone who cared about music as deeply as me and my boyfriend, or who really cared about poetry—who really lived it and breathed it. I haven’t met anyone so far. I just can’t affiliate with those people."

I'm just going to bold these statements and leave this here.

Gives us a whole different perspective on the current situation, doesn’t it? What do you think about those particular parts you highlighted?