Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Pre-Release Thread

I'm a bit worried that sis is trying too hard to be a guttersnipe; obviously I don't mind swearing but suddenly it's in the album title, song titles, etc. 

Tbh that's my biggest complaint with Cherry ... the random "fuck"s and "bitch"s seem so unnecessary and I don't feel they add anything to the song. Maybe this should be filed under unpopular opinions but whatever. So I just hope it's like ... purposeful swearing in this album, and not just because of her midlife crisis. 

Also I read a few pages of one of the books she recommended and it was about wilderwomen drinking from the same streams as wolves, and it made me want to kms. Obviously I'm just not enlightened enough to understand the appeal. 

i disagree, i think the swearing in cherry was purposeful in a tongue in cheek way...idk how to explain it, it does add a lot to the song for me.

i disagree, i think the swearing in cherry was purposeful in a tongue in cheek way...idk how to explain it, it does add a lot to the song for me.

Exactly

For me, Cherry without the swearing seems bland.

ezgif-com-crop-1.gif

I agree. 'Cherry' was a 3/4ths-finished track, but LDR couldn't find a way to beef it up to a fully-developed song (the same way that 'White Mustang' was only half or 3/4ths of a song) so she added the 'bitch' and 'fuck' to attempt round it out, which didn't work, was on obvious attempt to flesh out the song, and made her look pathetic as an artist. There's a clean version out there, and that's the version I play when I play it at all, just as there is a 'Groupie Love' without the rap.

Hopefully, there won't be any such cheap shots on the new record. I would think Jack would steer her away from them, as his name is also on it, but we'll have to wait and see.  

But she literally swears on every album...

Radio

Gods And Monsters

Fucked My Way Up To The Top

High By The Beach

Cherry

Like this isn't something new or something she's doing to seem cool... 

why are y'all complaining about swearing on her later work when she's sworn hundreds of other songs before then?

giphy.gif

You’re so mad at her she’s not that lip-plumped vintage tumblr retro i-want-to-die girl anymore you’re literally looking for anything to complain about. Like I get it, I loved old Lana too, but can you come up with something else lol. Her music is still great tho.. maybe it’s bc of y’all not being Lana-obsessed teenagers anymore and don’t get me wrong, I like to criticize her here and there but if you can’t enjoy her craft anymore just... don’t. 

You’re so mad at her she’s not that lip-plumped vintage tumblr retro i-want-to-die girl anymore you’re literally looking for anything to complain about. Like I get it, I loved old Lana too, but can you come up with something else lol. Her music is still great tho.. maybe it’s bc of y’all not being Lana-obsessed teenagers anymore and don’t get me wrong, I like to criticize her here and there but if you can’t enjoy her craft anymore just... don’t. 

pound the table!

this is so right

giphy.gif

why are y'all complaining about swearing on her later work when she's sworn hundreds of other songs before then?

It’s called misogyny, when a woman gets old people act like they want her to become a saint

Oh wow y’all just got shut down go off sis! Agreed!

Cherry to me feels like a song you play when you're In Your Feelings after breaking up with someone and you're frustrated with yourself for how much you went through it for someone that didn't deserve it, and the swearing is kind of a release of that. Without the swearing it would feel too earnest imo.

locals only

The thing is, when Lana swore in her songs in the past, it seemed fitting and didn't seem too try hard and edgy. But that's what it felt like with Cherry, it's just so out of place. I don't think anyone really gives a shit about her swearing, but she could at least make it seem natural instead of forced.

♡  standing stoic blue and denim, eyes not blue but clear like heaven 

1. the swearing in cherry makes the song

2. the rhcp vibe is in the psych-y guitars & simple yet effective riff in vb; listen to john frusciante's guitar playing, you'll get it. it's hard to know if it's a consistent theme in nfr or not bc, uh, the album isn't out yet

3. stop taking every single one of her comments re: album inspirations at face level. this same shit happened in honeymoon era when she said the album felt "jazzy" to her & people expected a literal crossover with jazz. she can be inspired by something but not downright imitate or copy it

My interpretation of Cherry is that the lead vocals/lyrics are from the honeymoon-phase of love and the swearing in the background is the annoyance/dislike-of-love that comes with it + when you fall out of love (sometimes rather quickly). It's like she was falling in love, and she was annoyed at herself for doing so and at the guy for making her feel that way (specially since maybe she didn't 'want' to fall in love.)

giphy.gif

I can't believe there's something left in my chest anymore 

cherry is so mediocre lmao swearing aside the lyrics are so cringy and everything some of you pretend to hate about most of her previous work (ahem btd..) 

i76mrxw.png 

But she literally swears on every album...

Radio

Gods And Monsters

Fucked My Way Up To The Top

High By The Beach

Cherry

Like this isn't something new or something she's doing to seem cool...

It depends on whether it’s integrated into the song and seems part and parcel of it, or just tacked on. Obviously, on a buoyant pop song like ‘Radio,’ the ‘fuck’ is intended to be clever and teasing, as it goes against the tone of the song, and it works. The same with ‘Cola,’ G&M,’ etc.

To me, ‘HBTB’ was another not-quite-there song that didn’t work.