Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Pre-Release Thread

I thought Hope actually had really good lyrics. The usage of “Writing in blood on my walls” and then she flips it to “writing in blood on YOUR walls”. I’ve said this before, it’s the same usage of the metaphor “Should I write it on your bedroom walls?” meaning do I really have to spell out what I’m meaning to you? If so I’m writing it big enough, IN BLOOD, so you know I mean it and I know you’ve seen it

giphy.gif

if i fuck this model and she just bleached her asshole and i get bleach on my t-shirt, imma feel like an asshole

“Hey guys I’m so excited to sing this song, it’s my favourite, it’s a title track, it’s called “Born to Fucking Die” “

tumblr_mmkkluK6l81sp6362o1_500.png" />

Can't wait to hear NFR being sung live through some twink's android phone via periscope with a thousand screams in the background :flutter:

♡  standing stoic blue and denim, eyes not blue but clear like heaven 

http://instagram.com/p/ByzanlQlvNQ/?utm_source=ig_embed

lollapaloozase

Verified

@lanadelrey just gave us a sneak peek of the title track off her upcoming album, #normanfuckingrockwell, and we can’t wait to hear her perform it at #lollastockholm in less than two weeks.

I hope they're not just guessing :eek:

Lol I saw it this morning and all I thought of was how wrong they’re gonna be.

... Please prove me wrong, Lana, by performing it live!

48K6p1K.gif pyg088L.png

I haven’t listened to any NFR tracks in three months (even though VB is top five Lana for me). I’m hoping this makes the whole album experience feel fresh.

And lol at Lollapalooza playing themselves.

I love Hope and most of its lyrics. I still don't consider it superior to even BTD/Paradise era tracks. If it had leaked as an unreleased song from 2013 I would have believed it. I don't see it as...anything out of the ordinary. I understand that people are trying to make the best out of a bad situation, but we really aren't getting anything dramatically different in quality. We could have gotten these songs years ago.

I'm kinda focused on being a baddie right now. I can't really work.

yeah fr i fucking hate when people do that, like some of y'all have the "omg this is her best piece/best album yet" way too easy... idk about you but there are some albums and songs by Lana that just can't be topped for me... and i don't think NFR will be the art piece who's gonna start and make a change (maybe it will! who knows, and if it does i'll be pleasantly surprised, but in all honesty, after seing what she did with L4L, i really doubt it. L4L is cool but it remains my least favorite and the weakest album of hers, to me) so for the moment i'd say that NFR could be 5th in my ranking, L4L being 6th, BTD 1st with Paradise, UV 2nd and Honeymoon 3rd.. but we'll see about that

Lust For Life is mediocre, but there is nothing from Norman so far (and we have a lot already) that points to another Lust For Life mediocrity. In fact, the difference couldn't be more stark. 

That's why both fans and her harshest critics think this is shaping up to be her best album yet.  :flutter:

WHYYYYYYYYY DO I SUDDENLY CRAVE HIAB I DONT NEED THIS smfh I’m listening to the snippets on a loop I hate this :defeated: I never cared about this song and now I need it almost as much as cin which is a fucking lot trust and believe

i'm literally starving for it  

the lyricism of NFR is shoddy, MAC had great lyrics but...delivery was off and it just kinda felt too preachy, it's like an incredibly watered down store brand west coast but 1% of perfection is still kinda perfection

VB delivered on the campy lyrics that i adore most from lana, short & succint phrases of descriptors and nouns that evoke emotion- the production takes it from lizzy to a brand new version of lana that we deserved more of, jack gave lana one of her best songs in her career

"ice cream, ice queen- i dream in jeans and leather" "paint me happy & blue, norman rockwell"

hiadt is nothing short of good poetry

how to disappear is strong lyrically, even if mostly metaphorical

but the other songs are kinda....euhm

cinnamon is, not special. in your car sounds like another production piece, and some of y'all literally thought i wrote the fucking lyrics to NFR :rip: it'll probably hit the same boxes as UV does where it teeters from good lyrics to better production, unlike honeymoon & yosemite. her best balanced work.

I love Hope and most of its lyrics. I still don't consider it superior to even BTD/Paradise era tracks. If it had leaked as an unreleased song from 2013 I would have believed it. I don't see it as...anything out of the ordinary. I understand that people are trying to make the best out of a bad situation, but we really aren't getting anything dramatically different in quality. We could have gotten these songs years ago.

one of the things that really turned me off the song that i've never heard from her before was the way you could hear her pronounce the consonants -  the hard "t"s  and "d"s are honestly like nails on a chalkboard for me

one of the things that really turned me off the song that i've never heard from her before was the way you could hear her pronounce the consonants -  the hard "t"s  and "d"s are honestly like nails on a chalkboard for me

its funny you  mention that because I have the exact opposite reaction to that. I LOVE that the bitch is using proper diction. We love a technically proficient singer. maybe its my choir and vocal lesson background but I appreciate it when a singer actually says the full word and doesnt trail off without the last consonant. 

Her voice never sounds the same and that's what I love with her records. When she puts out an album, her tone is always different from the previous record. I like that she's kinda going back to her Sirens tone with NFR (she obviously sounds more mature now). The delicate side of her voice fits the piano ballads perfectly

I'll do it for the right reasons

Withstanding all the time, changes and seasons

~?~

"Blue hydrangea, cold cash divineCashmere, cologne and white sunshineRed racing cars, sunset and vineThe kids were young and prettyWhere have you been?Where did you go?Those summer nights seem long agoAnd so is the girl you used to callThe queen of New York City"

i think it's way better than Hope in terms of lyrics, but this is just my opinion

while I adore Old Money, the lyrics are Lana cliche to the max. Colors? Check. Cars? Check. Hollywood reference? Check. $$$? Check. New York? Check. Queen of x? Check. And that’s just the first verse. Along with this, the song samples What is a Youth by Nino Rota, which I’m sure has had an influence on the lyrics and direction she chose.

sgopYhV.gif

From what I have heard of the NFR title track snippet, I think it’s going to be a good song. I like the melody better than the Hope melody, and the strings are very promising. The breezy way she sings it is also interesting.

I definitely don’t want a PC LDR, but the “you fucked me so good” line seems slightly over the top, as less is often more, and will take the song in another direction for some. Do I believe in complete artistic freedom? Of course.

while I adore Old Money, the lyrics are Lana cliche to the max. Colors? Check. Cars? Check. Hollywood reference? Check. $$$? Check. New York? Check. Queen of x? Check. And that’s just the first verse. Along with this, the song samples What is a Youth by Nino Rota, which I’m sure has had an influence on the lyrics and direction she chose.

For me, ‘Old Money’ is her most brilliant and powerful song. Regardless of nouns she uses, she and her co-writer mesh everything together perfectly to create a masterpiece. The understated way she sings it makes it doubly moving.

That she used the very famous Nino Rota piece from the early 70s film version of ‘Romeo & Juliet’ as a jumping off point is interesting, but really doesn’t define the song melodically. I listen to ‘What Is a Youth’ frequently and ‘Old Money’ rarely comes to mind when I do.

For me, ‘Old Money’ is her most brilliant and powerful song. Regardless of nouns she uses, she and her co-writer mesh everything together perfectly to create a masterpiece. The understated way she sings it makes it doubly moving.

That she used the very famous Nino Rota piece from the early 70s film version of ‘Romeo & Juliet’ as a jumping off point is interesting, but really doesn’t define the song melodically. I listen to ‘What Is a Youth’ frequently and ‘Old Money’ rarely comes to mind when I do.

I definitely respect your opinion. Old Money is one of my favorite songs ever, but I really do enjoy Hope’s lyrics in particular due to the references/parallels to Sylvia Plath’s writings, specifically The Bell Jar and her journals. This is coming from someone who is a big fan of Plath’s writings however so my opinion is different from many, but I thought the way she wrote the lyrics were genius (other than the iPad line yikes).

sgopYhV.gif