Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Pre-Release Thread

Thank god we've moved on to discussing her vocal ability instead of sharing our favorite songs.

I agree with you, and have for the past year or so, I really wish she would play with her voice again. NFR can be an amazing record melodically and instrumentally but it could be even better if she wasn't playing it safe with her mid-vocals. Because I am honestly fearing that we'll get another album with LFL vocals.

48K6p1K.gif pyg088L.png

Thank god we've moved on to discussing her vocal ability instead of sharing our favorite songs.

I agree with you, and have for the past year or so, I really wish she would play with her voice again. NFR can be an amazing record melodically and instrumentally but it could be even better if she wasn't playing it safe with her mid-vocals. Because I am honestly fearing that we'll get another album with LFL vocals.

Huh? She had a lot of absolutely stellar vocal moments in LFL. 

she's been lazy with her vocals since honeymoon 

Honeymoon has her best vocals  :deadbanana:

Imo NFR will be THAT bitch because Lana is actually giving it her all. 

She changed so much and u can really hear it thru her music. Also the fact that she is now working with Jack,

I'm pretty sure she will snap with her new songs! Let's just wait and we will see/hear it next year.

I dont think lana ever belted in the 6th octave(at least in her ldr discography)..thats actually something very hard even for the soprano vocal types..

I will agree tho, that she needs to belt more in the 4-5 octave where she is able but always chooses to use her head voice

she belted the c6 in cola live an actual c6 not just an exclamation she's just lazy.

She's playing it way too safe alright, both live and in studio. Remember the girl who once screamed her lungs out while covering Heart-Shaped Box on Paradise tour? Well she's been replaced by someone who these days does some minor choreo and barely performs with any major energy, the OTTR performances are a perfect example of this. I know it can be a tough one to sing but even with Cherry she tends to deliver mediocre vocals - at least based on the videos I've seen - even though she really can do better. Her vocals just lack some of that passion she had when her vocals were more rough and raw.

Let's not act like half of you weren't shitting on Honeymoon for like two years aswell talking about her drab and lifeless vocals which I would call an exaggeration but again it's seems like some people follow the pack here instead of making individual opinions.

She's playing it way too safe alright, both live and in studio. Remember the girl who once screamed her lungs out while covering Heart-Shaped Box on Paradise tour? Well she's been replaced by someone who these days does some minor choreo and barely performs with any major energy, the OTTR performances are a perfect example of this. I know it can be a tough one to sing but even with Cherry she tends to deliver mediocre vocals - at least based on the videos I've seen - even though she really can do better.

She needs to get rid of the backing track, it's making her lazy. She does Yayo without it for example and she always sings that really well 

Let's not act like half of you weren't shitting on Honeymoon for like two years aswell talking about her drab and lifeless vocals which I would call an exaggeration but again it's seems like some people follow the pack here instead of making individual opinions.

I wasn't here on LB back then, but I began to truly love Honeymoon after a few months of its release. It wasn't that hard. But I'm not feeling the same for LFL, I really liked it at first but I don't feel any stronger for it now than then... and it's been a year now. :ohno: I do love some of the tracks though.

48K6p1K.gif pyg088L.png

I wish she would belt in studio songs the way she did on Terrence Loves You during her tour. But don't expect amazing vocals. She SMOKES. This degrades the vocals. She won't attempt very high notes anymore. She was struggling above F5 during the tour. So I think we can maybe expect some vocals in the vein of WTWWAWWKD, but not something with notes above E5/F5 in the main vocals. She can do higher in harmony, she doesn't care, she won't have to sing it live. What makes me sad is that her vocals were incredible live in 2016 and she was blasting impressive high notes, but she didn't in LFL. So don't expect too much for NFR. Maybe she will blast C5 or D5, but she won't blast F5 or G5, or even higher.

I'll do it for the right reasons

Withstanding all the time, changes and seasons

~?~

she's done songs going to the 6th octave and actually belted so not really.

I don't know what albums you lot are listening to where her tone isn't monotone post uv and honeymoon is one of my favourites.

dyslexia has joined the group chat. ive read this line 5 times and can't comprehend it

EDIT: now i get it. you said that her tone is monotone post uv, but at the same time HM is one of your favorites.

are we listening to the same HM and LFL? yeah they have their monotonous moments, but they also have emotional and grander moments like the bridge in GKIT and the girl group backing vocals in lfl and get free

Her vocals on LFL were globally lazy. I remember first hearing White Mustang and being striked by how lifeless she sounded on the second verse, and how nasal her voice sounded, and I hated that her voice broke when she sings ‘you just couldn’t stop’. I think she sung through paper on that one but it’s such a shame that the cool and relatable side of it was underpowered by the production (from the second chorus - what were they thinking...) and this way of singing.

what I TRULY don’t want is her getting back to her submissive persona. The overall vibe of antifeminism is what I don’t like on Ultraviolence, and it has fortunately disappeared from her records. Her way of singing was also particularly annoying on the PWYC verses (the same lazy kind as on Fine China) although she really snapped at the end of the song

what I TRULY don’t want is her getting back to her submissive persona. The overall vibe of antifeminism is what I don’t like on Ultraviolence, and it has fortunately disappeared from her records. Her way of singing was also particularly annoying on the PWYC verses (the same lazy kind as on Fine China) although she really snapped at the end of the song

:eartha2: :wtf: :um2: :awkney:

I pretend I’m not hurt and go about the world like I’m having fun

:eartha2: :wtf: :um2: :awkney:

To me the picture she was conveying is so harmful to social representations and unauthentic to her. She was playing with the fact that she didn’t feel well. Now she does and I’m happy she got over this persona. but I know that those times had cool things that we don’t have anymore (like great visuals) and I guess we just don’t agree

Songs which had her best vocals:

Yayo (Paradise) - say what you want about this version, but her voice has never sounded so heavenly and innocent.

Cola - For the high note she did

God Knows I Tried - Her vibrato was incredible and she managed to hold onto each note longer than usual

Salvatore

Money Power Glory - Although light and feathery, her vocals were still very strong

Black Beauty

National Anthem - Her voice just sounds so energetic and fresh, not dreary like it is now

these are just a FEW of her best vocals. I would have listed her unreleased vocals but I'd be here all night.

My point here is that her vocals these days are so weak, monotone and dreary. You're lying to yourself if you think her vocals were "amazing" on LFL. They were mediocre at best. I'm not saying LFL is outright terrible, but the awful filter over her voice, the playing safe etc. It's what I fear will happen for NFR too...because I don't think these new snippets really sound that different from LFL in terms of vocals. The music is different of course. But the vocals? Idk...

I care about this so much because we all here know exactly what Lana is capable of. We know how well she can sing, and how powerful her voice can be. And I don't think she's using her voice to it's full advantage that's all.

♡  standing stoic blue and denim, eyes not blue but clear like heaven 

Yayo (Paradise) - say what you want about this version, but her voice has never sounded so heavenly and innocent.

God Knows I Tried - Her vibrato was incredible and she managed to hold onto each note longer than usual

Salvatore

Money Power Glory - Although light and feathery, her vocals were still very strong

Black Beauty

National Anthem - Her voice just sounds so energetic and fresh, not dreary like it is now

these are just a FEW of her best vocals. I would have listed her unreleased vocals but I'd be here all night.

My point here is that her vocals these days are so weak, monotone and dreary. You're lying to yourself if you think her vocals were "amazing" on LFL. They were mediocre at best. I'm not saying LFL is outright terrible, but the awful filter over her voice, the playing safe etc. It's what I fear will happen for NFR too...because I don't think these new snippets really sound that different from LFL in terms of vocals. The music is different of course. But the vocals? Idk...

I care about this so much because we all here know exactly what Lana is capable of. We know how well she can sing, and how powerful her voice can be. And I don't think she's using her voice to it's full advantage that's all.

This is so true. Compare Mariners Apartment Complex/ Venice Bitch to Tired Of Singing The Blues. In terms of live she has been so lazy of late & studio wise has played it safe as hell. I mean for Honeymoon, she changed the pitch of 4 songs to make them lower. She’s playing so safe & is in her box. She needs someone to tell her no. UV is one of her best & that was the product of a “no” producer. She isn’t challenging herself at all & she’s playing it safe as hell. With Jack I’d expect her to try at least something new & I hope that does happen. Give us versatility!!! Her most diverse vocals on LFL have been on IMF, WTWWAWWKD, Heroin, & Get Free & they’re not that “risky” if you think about it :toofunny:

tumblr_put6epa8mC1uz4347o9_500.gif

Salvatore

Black Beauty

where's The Other Woman, Blue Velvet, Is This Happiness, Heroin

"ser bella me dio privilegios, pero ser astuta me dio poder"  :makeup:

I agree with pretty much all of you. She's definetly lazy and doesn't feel like she has to do anything with her voice anymore, other than singing the most comfortable way. I don't think there's a single high-note belted on all of LFL...you know, using her chest voice. That ''to tell you that I really chaaaanged'' on Heroin comes the closest but it's not that high of a note at all. And there doesn't seem to be more brave vocals on NFR either so far. Everything is mid range, airy, dreamy and head voice; which I'm not mad about because sounds beautiful, but I wish she'd do a little more with her voice like in the past. Everybody says: I know she can do more...but can she? I feel like she can't do those types of vocals anymore after singing comfortably and taking no risks for 2-3 years. Maybe she surprises us, and I very much hope so 

~~~My body is stuck in the ocean ugcs3%2Fv3%2Fproject_attachments%2FGC6xU My mind is lost in the universe*** 

where's The Other Woman, Blue Velvet, Is This Happiness, Heroin

No shades of cool? Anyway I would of loved to have seen her live before/during her prime, but there's no denying that the performances lack any passion-with her forgetting her own lyrics,not bothering to get the band to learn songs and lip syncing like Britney spears while she moves her arms/gradually lowers her body to gyrate and adlibs a few mid range whispery lines.

No shades of cool? Anyway I would of loved to have seen her live before/during her prime, but there's no denying that the performances lack any passion-with her forgetting her own lyrics,not bothering to get the band to learn songs and lip syncing like Britney spears while she moves her arms and gradually lowers her body and adlibs a few kid whispery lines.

Ok also tea  :makeup:

"ser bella me dio privilegios, pero ser astuta me dio poder"  :makeup: