ilovetati

NFR Metacritic/Review Thread

Honestly I don't 100% agree with Lana's response to that Ann lady. Like... Lana did create a persona in the early years of her carreer, but I also don't wanna say she didn't have a reason to be offended when Ann wrote about her in a beach filled with trash and used condoms, and the whole article felt really try-hard anyway :rip: But I feel that Lana's response was exactly what all these self absorbed called "music critics" needed from her: a reason to finally be mean and rude and drag her again.

After the whole "I wish I was dead" drama Lana took a very severe approach when dealing with publications, even recording all the interviews and making sure none of them would talk shit about her (I think she talked about it with pitchfork, if I'm not mistaken) and for a long while she behaved like a good girl towards critics so they woudn't have a reason to bad mouth her, and they really didn't. But now, after two barely harmful tweets, she's back on their black list and we already have lots of them calling her unoriginal, not authentic, not self-aware and even dumb. Again, I don't 100% agree with what she said but the fact a lot of these critics were ready to say those things about her speaks volumes. They literally couldn't wait any longer for her to give them a reason to talk shit about her again, and she gave them one. Now let's see how things turn out.

into your eyes tumblr_olomd1pIFG1u8tvjvo2_500.gif my face remains

I would've preferred if sis had shut up, but at the same time, I think it's her right to defend herself and her art.

All the critic's pals on Twitter seem to think it's okay for the critic to have an opinion on sis and her art, but it's not okay for sis have an opinion on what the critic says about her.

I think they're salty because nobody cares about reviews and critics as much as they did 20 years ago or whatever, so they resorted to this "millennials are entitled and can't take criticism" argument.

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream

Honestly I don't 100% agree with Lana's response to that Ann lady. Like... Lana did create a persona in the early years of her carreer, but I also don't wanna say she didn't have a reason to be offended when Ann wrote about her in a beach filled with trash and used condoms, and the whole article felt really try-hard anyway :rip: But I feel that Lana's response was exactly what all these self absorbed called "music critics" needed from her: a reason to finally be mean and rude and drag her again.

After the whole "I wish I was dead" drama Lana took a very severe approach when dealing with publications, even recording all the interviews and making sure none of them would talk shit about her (I think she talked about it with pitchfork, if I'm not mistaken) and for a long while she behaved like a good girl towards critics so they woudn't have a reason to bad mouth her, and they really didn't. But now, after two barely harmful tweets, she's back on their black list and we already have lots of them calling her unoriginal, not authentic, not self-aware and even dumb. Again, I don't 100% agree with what she said but the fact a lot of these critics were ready to say those things about her speaks volumes. They literally couldn't wait any longer for her to give them a reason to talk shit about her again, and she gave them one. Now let's see how things turn out.

Their reasons for slamming her and pushing the idea that she has a persona are so stupid tho. Things like she's had fillers or has a stage name. Like, those things don't make a persona? 

The 'you should feel honoured that this critic decided to write about you' feeling among critics, is the worst load of garbage around, as though any piece is written out of a loving wish to impart wisdom to a poor, deluded artist, rather than just to sell magazines or create content for a website.

Also, I'll bang on about the 'persona' thing until every journalist drops it. My challenge to everyone who talks about Lana's persona: name a successful artist who does not have a persona, or is authentic. Nobody can, because authenticity is a selling point, not an actual thing that artists 'have'.

tumblr_ou8g76nUPp1ts8ukho1_250.png

i don’t get why lana gets so mad when people say she has a persona? like it's baffling to me. she obviously does have a persona, or at least had for the first three albums she put out. and so many well respected artists had personas as well so it’s not like it’s an insult to her art.. if anything crafting a persona takes a lot of skill and careful storytelling so it’s a compliment.

it’s like she wants to have her cake and eat it too. to be considered a completely genuine artist whose every song is autobiographical AND sing about drug lord boyfriends and taking on the role of a classic femme fatale at the same time. girl you gotta pick one

all my wounds are due to love, to love, love, love

Their reasons for slamming her and pushing the idea that she has a persona are so stupid tho. Things like she's had fillers or has a stage name. Like, those things don't make a persona? 

Exactly! Like there are so many reasons and arguments to why Lana has created a persona but they always use the most random of them all: her cirurgies :rip: Like okay the way she used to dress, to talk, to style her hair, to present herself and her aesthetic are nothing compared to lip fillers wow!!!!!!!!

into your eyes tumblr_olomd1pIFG1u8tvjvo2_500.gif my face remains

i don’t get why lana gets so mad when people say she has a persona? like it's baffling to me. she obviously does have a persona, or at least had for the first three albums she put out. and so many well respected artists had personas as well so it’s not like it’s an insult to her art.. if anything crafting a persona takes a lot of skill and careful storytelling so it’s a compliment.

it’s like she wants to have her cake and eat it too. to be considered a completely genuine artist whose every song is autobiographical AND sing about drug lord boyfriends and taking on the role of a classic femme fatale at the same time. girl you gotta pick one

It's REALLY bizarre because EVERYONE knows it's a lie, including her friends. For example, Courtney knows she created a persona ... and Lanz didn't deny it when she talked about it:

CL: What I hear in your music is that you’ve created a world, you’ve created a persona, and you’ve created this kind of enigma that I never created but if I could go back I would create.

LDR: Are you even being serious right now? I don’t even know if your legacy could get any bigger. You’re one of the only people I know whose legacy precedes them. Just the name ‘Courtney Love’ is… You’re big, honey. You’re Hollywood. (laughs) Touring with Courtney Love (was), like, an Elizabeth Taylor diamond (for me).

https://www.dazeddigital.com/music/article/35578/1/lana-del-rey-courtney-love-lust-for-life

I mean, come ON, Lanz. Just own it.

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream

Do I contradict myself? Very well then, I contradict myself; I am large - I contain multitudes.

You call me lavender, you call me sunshine.

Lana undermines her art denying the sonic world she created combining surrealism, personal reflections, and observations of pop culture. Perhaps calling it a “persona” implies that it’s a facade, but the reaction wasn’t necessary.

To me the tone of the review was all over the place. Some times it read like Ann liked her music. Other times the tone felt mocking of Lana. I couldn't figure out where she was going with it. 

I don’t really wanna die, I just want the pain to be over