Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Norman Fucking Rockwell!  

1,016 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from NFR?

• Norman Fucking Rockwell
    • Mariners Apartment Complex
    • Venice Bitch
    • Fuck It, I Love You
    • Doin' Time
    • Love Song
    • Cinnamon Girl
    • How to Disappear
    • California
    • The Next Best American Record
    • The Greatest
    • Bartender
    • Happiness is a Butterfly
    • hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but i have it

NFR has such replay value and I'm really pleased about it. With LFL it truly aged like milk after a week of it's release, and I genuinely thought it would have been an album I would want to listen to everyday. I'm not sure what it is that makes an album have so much replay value vs one that doesn't...but I just feel like NFR is entirely genuine and honest, and something we can all relate to. With LFL it was too 'try hard' with the whole political undertones and messy collabs. Also I don't mean to compare NFR with LFL but it's just to give an example to prove some points. 

I hope with White Hot Forever Lana won't share any snippets. It does definitely ruin the experience of a first time listen. Like I know the whole "well don't listen to the snippets" debate will arise, but it's hard not too when it's what everyone on here tends to talk about. 

♡  standing stoic blue and denim, eyes not blue but clear like heaven 

Absolutely, but I should add that I’m technologically challenged, so how can I add pictures? :)

Mm i sorta am too. I think after taking em u can upload them to imgur. Then that site'll have the option of providing u w links to the pics, so we can all see em! Side note, I wanted to go to this butterfly release day at this science center that I love going to but missed it bc life gets busyyy. But back to it, imgur, upload, link. :heart:

UV/Honeymoon

NFR has such replay value and I'm really pleased about it. With LFL it truly aged like milk after a week of it's release, and I genuinely thought it would have been an album I would want to listen to everyday. I'm not sure what it is that makes an album have so much replay value vs one that doesn't...but I just feel like NFR is entirely genuine and honest, and something we can all relate to. With LFL it was too 'try hard' with the whole political undertones and messy collabs. Also I don't mean to compare NFR with LFL but it's just to give an example to prove some points. 

I hope with White Hot Forever Lana won't share any snippets. It does definitely ruin the experience of a first time listen. Like I know the whole "well don't listen to the snippets" debate will arise, but it's hard not too when it's what everyone on here tends to talk about. 

Snippets are LIFE smh :crossed:

Like I appreciate White Mustang/HIAB/Cinnamon Girl so much MORE because i have the memories of playing the snippets 2000 times just wishing to hear the rest being curious what it could be like and now it's here I have it forever and it's so fulfilling and good to have it, available to listen whenever I want to. A relationship like that does not develop with a song like Bartender that we only heard in full pronto and that's it.

Snippets are LIFE smh :crossed:

Like I appreciate White Mustang/HIAB/Cinnamon Girl so much MORE because i have the memories of playing the snippets 2000 times just wishing to hear the rest being curious what it could be like and now it's here I have it forever and it's so fulfilling and good to have it, available to listen whenever I want to. A relationship like that does not develop with a song like Bartender that we only heard in full pronto and that's it.

I kinda have a love-hate relationship with snippets this time around. I loved having them as teasers for both NFR and LFL. Plus she is good at what she is teasing: she never teases too much (even HIaB or Cinnamon Girl, we had a lot of the song and yet, it didn't feel like she had spoiled them). However, HTD was posted when it still was a demo and it took me many times to accept the new production. So, I prefer when she teases completely done tracks. 

However, with White Hot Forever, she said it'd be a surprise release: in my mind, it sounds like no snippets at all before release, or maybe one or two a couple of days prior. 

Mm i sorta am too. I think after taking em u can upload them to imgur. Then that site'll have the option of providing u w links to the pics, so we can all see em! Side note, I wanted to go to this butterfly release day at this science center that I love going to but missed it bc life gets busyyy. But back to it, imgur, upload, link. :heart:

okay I’m going to only post one for rn to make sure I did it right. This is Cinnamon. https://imgur.com/a/lFxWPJl?desktop=1

California is a great song but i wished it had more of a climax and added bigger production for the chorus, they could've added some really crazy guitars or something to match the vocals. It comes off almost demo like

Ngl this is probably my biggest critique about the entire album, I feel like pretty much all the songs lack that climax moment or really intense production, everything is so subdued and soft, or rough sounding? It lacks a heavy drumbeats, even electronic beat, and most of all bass. California is a great song, but much like How To Disappear, it sounds more like a demo than anything.

Honestly after three weeks now, I'm back and forth listening to the album and much like Lust for Life (for different reasons) I find myself skipping so many songs like a minute in, and sometimes a second in.  :facepalm:

Doesn't really have the replay value of Born To Die, Ultraviolence and Honeymoon, which to me were pretty much on repeat for like a year after the release, and then some.

She got a huge boost from that video coming out https://kworb.net/spotify/

25th most played artist on Spotify yesterday when she wasn't even in the top 100 on Friday. So her plays went up about 4x.

It’s crazy how 90% of the comments on YouTube are people praising her and saying so many positive things about her... it almost makes me get teary Eyed because she deserves it so much.

Mm. I think the snippet issue really just might be a self-control thing tbh. I mean not to shame anyone, but it's really just pacing w what u get and how often u listen. Personal verdict, would love. I'd rather have something periodically to listen to if needed than not. Holding back n giving in's really just a fun part of the process. and let's be real, it's pretty fun discussing them, and/or fucking w the others who've listened (myself included tf) or not lol

UV/Honeymoon

Mm. I think the snippet issue really just might be a self-control thing tbh. I mean not to shame anyone, but it's really just pacing w what u get and how often u listen. Personal verdict, would love. I'd rather have something periodically to listen to if needed than not. Holding back n giving in's really just a fun part of the process. and let's be real, it's pretty fun discussing them, and/or fucking w the others who've listened (myself included tf) or not lol

I agree 100% tbh. The snippets she put out kept me from going crazy for the album lol. They helped a lot.