partymonster

Olivia Rodrigo

On 1/18/2021 at 3:22 AM, KillForLove said:

So the whole record breaking thing, gives me industry plant vibes, like most people are saying. I think the song is actually a really good debut, however her being a disney act and the fact that as an outsider to tik tok I have still never heard of her. Her indie girl cursive voice is a bit annoying to me but I can see how it might be another tool to "break" the commercial/disney mold. I do get like Halsey without the artistic vision (As cringy as she can be, she debuted with a pretty solid concept album) from the song. I'm interested to see where this will take her.

I agree. I don't understand how she's breaking records left, right and centre with people only knowing her from a disney show and... tiktok? No one cares for disney stars that much. I like the song but I can see right through the payola. 

I am obsessed with DL too and can’t wait for a debut EP/LP. I just noticed that Taylor recommended her, so maybe this is why people listen(ed) to the song and why it became that huge...but I mean it is a fucking good song. 

i used to think she was an industry plant, but now i really think things just happened to line up for her at the very beginning of her career. it was a catchy, relatable song with a backstory everyone knew, there was a bit of drama surrounding the lyrics, and she's young and impressed everyone with the fact that she's only 17. the song sounded unfinished and it was definitely overhyped, but i hope she has some more solid material ready (without any cursive singing).

I am so confused with the success of the song. I listened and it was okay, not really my style though. I just don't understand its success.

I doubt the streams came from Taylor, she recommended Conan Gray and he didn't get this big. I had never heard of her from Disney, and not many people I know knew her before this song either. :smokes3: And the song blew up on TikTok, but so did Say So and that didn't break any records (solo version). I can't fathom it, she didn't have a fandom, she wasn't that well known from her Disney show or whatever it was.

Its success is either super organic, or super payola-ed. Nevertheless, it's a decent song and I'm happy for her. Just a weird phenomenon that she broke the records set by already well established artists :oic3:

tumblr_inline_nojcj6qe1j1s5i2my_400.gif gmgif.gif morrissey-flowers.gif

Music is a state of mind. Either it hits you or it doesn’t. 

When DL was released it was hyped by Ariana fans on Twitter - this way I found out about this song. The title sounded interesting and I listened to it - it didn’t touch me at all. But anyhow Spotify played it automatically when one of my playlists was over and all of the sudden it hit a nerve. The lyrics are great. 

Maybe it was just people‘s curiosity what a song called Drivers Licence is about...

Maybe it was luck or being in the right place at the right time...

Or maybe just maybe people really love it and that’s why it breaks records...and it sure can help when other big artists mention your name too.

https://www.google.de/amp/s/www.vogue.de/kultur/artikel/olivia-rodrigo-interview-newcomer-saengerin-welthit-drivers-license%3famp

But I guess many still know her from the High School Musical series and its soundtrack. This stuff is well-known by millions worldwide.

And she is definitely a better singer than Lorde or Billie as some brought them into play. And hotter.

4 hours ago, Tammy said:

And she is definitely a better singer than Lorde or Billie as some brought them into play. And hotter.

@Elle ban her before I hack the site and do it myself  

6 hours ago, Tammy said:

Music is a state of mind. Either it hits you or it doesn’t. 

When DL was released it was hyped by Ariana fans on Twitter - this way I found out about this song. The title sounded interesting and I listened to it - it didn’t touch me at all. But anyhow Spotify played it automatically when one of my playlists was over and all of the sudden it hit a nerve. The lyrics are great. 

Maybe it was just people‘s curiosity what a song called Drivers Licence is about...

Maybe it was luck or being in the right place at the right time...

Or maybe just maybe people really love it and that’s why it breaks records...and it sure can help when other big artists mention your name too.

https://www.google.de/amp/s/www.vogue.de/kultur/artikel/olivia-rodrigo-interview-newcomer-saengerin-welthit-drivers-license%3famp

But I guess many still know her from the High School Musical series and its soundtrack. This stuff is well-known by millions worldwide.

PLEASE they really got themselves banned for what

this YouTube comment sent me 

Drivers license is her version of 7thing by Miley Cyrus and under somewhat similar circumstances. This is the third consecutive generation of Disney Channel girl fighting over no shit men from Hillary duff Aaron Carter and Lindsay Lohan to Miley Cyrus Nick Jonas and Selena Gomez to now Sabrina Josh and Olivia, when will my sisters ever be free? we need to be saved from the shackles of Disney channel/Disney+(Disney+ is already replacing the Disney channel) men.

13 hours ago, TRENCH said:

oh wait I saw that mess :godlaugh2:

they made a second account just to go on the marilyn manson thread to victim blame that woman who came out about manson abusing her and so they ended up getting both their accounts banned :twirls:

157852e4da9ff5b7ec834e7a2eac795d.gif