Monicker

Minor General Questions that Don't Deserve Their Own Thread

intellectual property law.  :crossed:

Isn't this what PrettyBaby studied? Paging PB, please report to the Thread for General Questions. 

Don't take my word for this because i'm not sure, but i think, assuming the songs are registered, the copyright holder holds the rights in the case you've described. Or if the song is on a release, the label does. I mean, any video of this nature on youtube is essentially a bootleg recording, the person who shot the video is distributing it without permission. Unless the song in question is not registered, say it's an amateur singer/songwriter or something who is performing one of their songs that has never been copyrighted. There's also a distinction between performance rights/royalties and recording rights/royalties. You know that if you go to a bar or performance space right now and cover someone's song, the establishment is supposed to legally have some sort of license to allow for this? 

You're using Ben ( :benmawson:) symbolically, right? I've notice there's an assumption around here that Ben is solely behind anything having to do with LDR songs and copyright violations. I would imagine there's a bigger legal team though. He is, after all, just her manager, no? Also, why does he look exactly like Ben Affleck in that picture?! 

"The limits of my language mean the limits of my world." -Wittgenstein

^ I'm not asking this in regards to any one particular video. Does anyone know of an instance where this has happened to a video from any year?

I'm also curious about who owns the rights to a live performance video in general. Hypothetically, let's say I videotape Monicker performing a song he wrote. Would I be within my rights to post it? Now lets say Monicker performs a song he wrote and I play saxophone on it and he records it. Would he be within his rights to post it? Would I have any legal basis to prevent him?

Monicker, you need to tell your lawyer girlfriend to bone up on intellectual property law.  :crossed:

Maybe the company who produces the concert has the rights? Like Rock In Rio and Tomorrow's Land has the rights over the concerts they produce? Since you pay to have the right to play music in a place when you charge tickets (at least in Brazil). So you get the right to use the images and sound of the event your company produces/makes?

glgcDdT.gif

You're using Ben ( :benmawson:) symbolically, right? I've notice there's an assumption around here that Ben is solely behind anything having to do with LDR songs and copyright violations. I would imagine there's a bigger legal team though. He is, after all, just her manager, no?

Just her manager? I'm also her lawyer. However, Universal Music Group also has a leaks team.

Also, why does he look exactly like Ben Affleck in that picture?!

...perhaps because I have a nefarious plan to screw people in an extremely uncomfortable place?

but why was Bel-Air deleted?

:benmawson:

Isn't this what PrettyBaby studied? Paging PB, please report to the Thread for General Questions. 

I know nothing, "I own nothing" :P

It's been a long time since I studied copyright law. I basically understand the history and purposes of copyright law. But I can come up with better questions than answers, I fear :/ In particular, any changes brought about by the rise of the internet are changes about which I am woefully ignorant. (I learned a lot today just checking out wikipedia's article on fair use. :facepalm: But um, yeah, my instincts are good... ?)

I'm also curious about who owns the rights to a live performance video in general. Hypothetically, let's say I videotape Monicker performing a song he wrote. Would I be within my rights to post it? Now lets say Monicker performs a song he wrote and I play saxophone on it and he records it. Would he be within his rights to post it? Would I have any legal basis to prevent him?

Monicker, you need to tell your lawyer girlfriend to bone up on intellectual property law.  :crossed:

Actually, a practicing non-intellectual-property lawyer is probably a better person to ask than a non-practicing former-intellectual-property-law student. My non-expert guess is that each contributor owns his/her own contribution. So in EE's scenario 1, Monicker owns the song and EE owns the videotape. Yesterday I would have guessed that EE can't post it without Monicker's permission. Today I see that the law has evolved such that there's at least a recognized interest in posting stuff on YouTube. So today my answer is I don't know, but it might depend on whether your video's visual focus includes Monicker, or mainly involves EE's dog dancing in the foreground to Monicker's song... In the second scenario, I'm guessing that if Monicker failed to secure a release from EE ahead of time, he might be kinda outta luck if EE later decides to ask him to take down any video of the performance.

Monicker and Antonia also raise good points. That is all :/

39150648115_3584eac590_o.png

I know nothing, "I own nothing" :P

It's been a long time since I studied copyright law. I basically understand the history and purposes of copyright law. But I can come up with better questions than answers, I fear :/ In particular, any changes brought about by the rise of the internet are changes about which I am woefully ignorant. (I learned a lot today just checking out wikipedia's article on fair use. :facepalm: But um, yeah, my instincts are good... ?)

Actually, a practicing non-intellectual-property lawyer is probably a better person to ask than a non-practicing former-intellectual-property-law student. My non-expert guess is that each contributor owns his/her own contribution. So in EE's scenario 1, Monicker owns the song and EE owns the videotape. Yesterday I would have guessed that EE can't post it without Monicker's permission. Today I see that the law has evolved such that there's at least a recognized interest in posting stuff on YouTube. So today my answer is I don't know, but it might depend on whether your video's visual focus includes Monicker, or mainly involves EE's dog dancing in the foreground to Monicker's song... In the second scenario, I'm guessing that if Monicker failed to secure a release from EE ahead of time, he might be kinda outta luck if EE later decides to ask him to take down any video of the performance.

Monicker and Antonia also raise good points. That is all :/

Internet is always a grey area to me when the subject is law. Internet is a miniature world of its own but in the other hand every country has their own laws for non-intellectual-property, copy rights and etc (I assume not laweyer sure). Which makes me think that youtube maybe, the companny, might have their own policy and that is what is valide? Or even youtube applies in each country (where the artists company is from) their own laws?

glgcDdT.gif

Whatever, i'm going to sue evil for every penny the old man's got. 

Although, before that, i'd like to see his dog cat dancing around to my music.  :deadbanana:

"The limits of my language mean the limits of my world." -Wittgenstein

what is the poolside video related to? i found it awhile ago but i never really got it

It's just a short film Lana was featured in.

Caesar said he’d fall in love with me if I was older. I own all of Mexico and I got my own roller-coaster.

so it isnt autobiographical at all?

No, it's not even about her.

Caesar said he’d fall in love with me if I was older. I own all of Mexico and I got my own roller-coaster.

I was just wondering about Lana's accent. Is hers typical of people from New York? I love it so much. :bodyisready:

It's really just the textbook American accent.

I have no idea where to post this, but..

If I had a theory about Lana that might be completely absurd, is there somewhere to post it on Lana Boards?

Or should I just keep it to myself?

Also, what exactly is XXIV? 

I have no idea where to post this, but..

If I had a theory about Lana that might be completely absurd, is there somewhere to post it on Lana Boards?

Or should I just keep it to myself?

Also, what exactly is XXIV? 

http://lanaboards.com/index.php?/topic/473-lanalysis-relating-songs-to-knownassumed-relationships/

VyIsfwC.jpg

What's up with the Dark Paradise video?

Does it come next week or later?

The thirst is killing me... :airplease:

Ikr  :defeated:

I remember the time I waited for Summertime Sadness. I'm surprised I'm still breathing.

skeleton-computer.jpg

EQFO7rX.png

No one knows. :defeated:

I hope we get it at least within this month

Ikr  :defeated:

I remember the time I waited for Summertime Sadness. I'm surprised I'm still breathing.

skeleton-computer.jpg

I was lucky that time: I didn't know there was going to be one so it just came out of the blue for me.

Sometimes, ignorance is bliss  :lange: