Monicker

Minor General Questions that Don't Deserve Their Own Thread

Help! I have several questions. Sorry!

Was Lizzy Grant and The Phenomena before The Rich Whores and do we have a date of when the transition happened? Was there a reason?

What is the difference? The ReverbNation page for Lizzy Grant and The Phenomena said, " Members: Lizzy Grant- Vocals, Arthur Lynn- Guitar, Aaron Brooks- Drums, Drew Martelli- Bass Guitar, Tags- Drums, Tim- Bass Guitar." When Lizzy's myspace url was therichwhores the band line-up was Arthur Lynn on guitar, Aaron Brooks for drums, Drew Martelli as the bass guitarist, and Tags (Arthur Tagliamonte) as Percussion. Was the difference the band line-up?

Also, I've seen the July 9th, 2007 performance at The Cutting Room being confused as both a Lizzy Grant and The Phenomena performance and The Rich Whores performance. Per ReverbNation it was a Lizzy Grant and The Phenomena performance. Is there a separate performance date listed as being The Rich Whores performance people are talking about?

Where did the full length The Rich Whores rehearsal session recordings of “Brite Lites,” “Disco,” and “Yayo” happen? Was it the same date and location as the snippets of “Disco,” “Brite Lites,” “Yayo,” “Me & My Boyfriend,” and “It’s Not You, It’s Just Me,” performed live with The Rich Whores? 

Does the studio version of "Me & My Boyfriend" that was produced by Kahne feature The Rich Whores or was it only Lana? 

Is The Phenomena of Lizzy Grant mixtape a Lizzy Grant and The Phenomena mixtape?

Thank you in advance!

9 minutes ago, Pr3ttyP4rtyFav0r said:

Help! I have several questions. Sorry!

Was Lizzy Grant and The Phenomena before The Rich Whores and do we have a date of when the transition happened? Was there a reason?

What is the difference? The ReverbNation page for Lizzy Grant and The Phenomena said, " Members: Lizzy Grant- Vocals, Arthur Lynn- Guitar, Aaron Brooks- Drums, Drew Martelli- Bass Guitar, Tags- Drums, Tim- Bass Guitar." When Lizzy's myspace url was therichwhores the band line-up was Arthur Lynn on guitar, Aaron Brooks for drums, Drew Martelli as the bass guitarist, and Tags (Arthur Tagliamonte) as Percussion. Was the difference the band line-up?

Also, I've seen the July 9th, 2007 performance at The Cutting Room being confused as both a Lizzy Grant and The Phenomena performance and The Rich Whores performance. Per ReverbNation it was a Lizzy Grant and The Phenomena performance. Is there a separate performance date listed as being The Rich Whores performance people are talking about?

Where did the full length The Rich Whores rehearsal session recordings of “Brite Lites,” “Disco,” and “Yayo” happen? Was it the same date and location as the snippets of “Disco,” “Brite Lites,” “Yayo,” “Me & My Boyfriend,” and “It’s Not You, It’s Just Me,” performed live with The Rich Whores? 

Does the studio version of "Me & My Boyfriend" that was produced by Kahne feature The Rich Whores or was it only Lana? 

Is The Phenomena of Lizzy Grant mixtape a Lizzy Grant and The Phenomena mixtape?

Thank you in advance!

1. i actually don’t know :crai: but i kinda feel like “the rich whores” came after? or maybe she used both of those names interchangeably? 

2. perhaps? there’s only like 1 difference but it’s common for bands to have their members change over time

3. this is also something i don’t know because i always knew them as “the rich whores” and i would honestly consider both bands one in the same

4. all five of those tracks seem to be from the same rehearsal, i don’t know what day those were recorded, if you sleuth around the forums you may find more information 

5. probably not

6. i would say, no, since the rich whores seem to be mid-2007 while this mixtape was created in early 2007 (january or february)

ezgif-1-9fe66f8123

Thanks. It seems like some things we will never know for sure. I'll keep sleuthing but I think I've exhausted all leads. Maybe I'll look more into Arthur Lynn and angiescreams. I wish he hadn't deleted his blog. Ugh. 

One more question. Is it safe to say that songs exclusively The Rich Whores tracks are "It's Not You, It's Just Me" and "Me & My Boyfriend"? I know "Me & My Boyfriend" is considered an outtake of aka by some because of the confirmed studio version. The Rich Whores and Lizzy Grant/Lana Del Ray projects overlap... Hmmm. Frustrating. 

I found this in the Early Shows FAQ:

"While she played a number of shows with the members of The Rich Whores/The Phenomena (a large portion of which comprised the line-up of angiescreams), the July 7, 2007 Cutting Room show was the only one billed as Lizzy Grant and the Phenomena, and only on their ReverbNation page. Every other show they played and every other reference to that show billed the band as Lizzy Grant. While a Jezebel Music write-up plugging her November 14, 2007 performance at Laila Lounge references "a full band, The Rich Whores", it does not appear the band shared billing."

Edited by Pr3ttyP4rtyFav0r
New information

This is so nice and interesting @zombie girl :icant:

Thanks for putting it all together.

The only thing (which doesn't really change the order) is that I don't think IYLDWM was re recorded since the vocals sound really 2013/14 Lana. I guess they just added the outro and maybe subtle changes like the muted piano chords but we can't know for sure :um2:

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, Pr3ttyP4rtyFav0r said:

Thanks. It seems like some things we will never know for sure. I'll keep sleuthing but I think I've exhausted all leads. Maybe I'll look more into Arthur Lynn and angiescreams. I wish he hadn't deleted his blog. Ugh. 

One more question. Is it safe to say that songs exclusively The Rich Whores tracks are "It's Not You, It's Just Me" and "Me & My Boyfriend"? I know "Me & My Boyfriend" is considered an outtake of aka by some because of the confirmed studio version. The Rich Whores and Lizzy Grant/Lana Del Ray projects overlap... Hmmm. Frustrating. 

"While she played a number of shows with the members of The Rich Whores/The Phenomena (a large portion of which comprised the line-up of angiescreams), the July 7, 2007 Cutting Room show was the only one billed as Lizzy Grant and the Phenomena, and only on their ReverbNation page. Every other show they played and every other reference to that show billed the band as Lizzy Grant. While a Jezebel Music write-up plugging her November 14, 2007 performance at Laila Lounge references "a full band, The Rich Whores", it does not appear the band shared billing."

i kinda would consider those two tracks “exclusively” from the rich whores sessions, even though there is a version recorded by arthur lynn (if you look through this thread you’ll also find another song about lizzy titled “dizzy”)

ezgif-1-9fe66f8123

On 9/26/2022 at 3:02 AM, Pr3ttyP4rtyFav0r said:

I consider The Phenomena/The Rich Whores to be "live-only" bands, if you get what I mean. Like they were Lizzy Grant shows, and she was simply performing with her backup band(s). 

On 9/26/2022 at 4:12 AM, zombie girl said:

this is a very late reply, most of these we don’t know for sure but i’ve made some predictions

Born to Die

I believe the first song written was Diet Mountain Dew because we have demos of that song dating back to 2009–I don’t think there are demos that old for any of the other tracks. That also relates to me believing that the last song written was Summertime Sadness, because it’s the only Nowels song on the album that we don’t have a demo by a different producer for, and iirc Lana started working with Nowels pretty late during the making of Born to Die. The other songs he did for that album have earlier versions that were made with other producers, so those are likely older.

Ultraviolence

First one written for this album could be considered Old Money because it samples a demo Lana made all the way back in 2006, but technically I think it’s Black Beauty (but it could be Money Power Glory as well, Greg Kurstin mentioned that one was written very early in the album process and Lana didn’t know what direction she wanted to go with the album yet). Last one, again we have no idea, but it was probably Cruel World or Pretty When You Cry, they were likely only written a few days apart. All of the songs that were brought to Dan in January 2014 were written in fall 2013 besides Cruel World and Florida Kilos, which was written in 2012 with Harmony Korine for the Spring Breakers soundtrack. Pretty When You Cry was written in January 2014, but separate from the sessions with Dan (it was recorded at Electric Lady instead of Easy Eye). Cruel World was written once the sessions with Auerbach had already started that same month. I don’t believe we know which part of the month she was in New York, so it’s hard to tell which one came first.

Norman Fucking Rockwell

Bartender came first, Love Song was next, written in January 2018. Last song written was Fuck It I Love You in May-June 2019.

Just adding onto this~

• The earliest version of Diet Mountain Dew we have (Diet Mt. Dew Baby) was recorded in 2008
  • Methamphetamines/Meth Love that turned into Black Beauty is from 2009, not 2006
  • The first song written on NFR would actually be The Next Best American Record (2016)

Also I think you're right about Money Power Glory being one of the older songs on UV. According to Honeymouns, it was going to be on a scrapped Tropico EP along with: Body Electric, Gods & Monsters, I Talk to Jesus, Black Beauty and Bel Air.

𝕪𝕠𝕦 𝕒𝕣𝕖 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕡𝕙𝕒𝕟𝕥𝕠𝕞, 𝕗𝕠𝕣𝕖𝕧𝕖𝕣 𝕚𝕟 𝕞𝕪 𝕙𝕖𝕒𝕕 

On 9/26/2022 at 6:42 AM, zombie girl said:

this is a very late reply, most of these we don’t know for sure but i’ve made some predictions

Born to Die

I believe the first song written was Diet Mountain Dew because we have demos of that song dating back to 2009–I don’t think there are demos that old for any of the other tracks. That also relates to me believing that the last song written was Summertime Sadness, because it’s the only Nowels song on the album that we don’t have a demo by a different producer for, and iirc Lana started working with Nowels pretty late during the making of Born to Die. The other songs he did for that album have earlier versions that were made with other producers, so those are likely older.

Paradise

First is Yayo obviously. Last, we really have no idea, but I think Bel Air. Cola was written in 2011, American was worked on with Haynie who worked on all of Born to Die but doesn’t appear on any other tracks on Paradise besides the cover of Blue Velvet so I believe that one is probably older as well, Ride was written with Justin Parker during the Born to Die sessions, and Body Electric + Gods and Monsters were announced in July 2012 when Lana talked about new songs she had been working on. There was no mention of the existence of Bel Air until Paradise was announced.

Ultraviolence

First one written for this album could be considered Old Money because it samples a demo Lana made all the way back in 2006, but technically I think it’s Black Beauty (but it could be Money Power Glory as well, Greg Kurstin mentioned that one was written very early in the album process and Lana didn’t know what direction she wanted to go with the album yet). Last one, again we have no idea, but it was probably Cruel World or Pretty When You Cry, they were likely only written a few days apart. All of the songs that were brought to Dan in January 2014 were written in fall 2013 besides Cruel World and Florida Kilos, which was written in 2012 with Harmony Korine for the Spring Breakers soundtrack. Pretty When You Cry was written in January 2014, but separate from the sessions with Dan (it was recorded at Electric Lady instead of Easy Eye). Cruel World was written once the sessions with Auerbach had already started that same month. I don’t believe we know which part of the month she was in New York, so it’s hard to tell which one came first.

Honeymoon

Music to Watch Boys To was mentioned in June 2014, so that one was probably written first. We have absolutely no idea what the final song written was, but I think it was either Swan Song or Salvatore because they were both recorded at a different studio than the rest of the album, so they were probably later additions.

Lust for Life

First one written was Beautiful People, Beautiful problems—the first demo of that song is from June 2014. Last one was Change, written and recorded the night before the album was due to the label in early June 2017.

Norman Fucking Rockwell

Bartender came first, Love Song was next, written in January 2018. Last song written was Fuck It I Love You in May-June 2019.

[EDIT] I completely forgot The Next Best American Record existed lmfao, that song is the oldest actually, from 2016 originally for Lust for Life.

Chemtrails

Let Me Love You Like a Woman is believed to have been written for Ultraviolence in 2013-2014, I have no idea where that came from and I’m not sure of the source but it’s pretty much accepted as truth. Last song written we don’t know, but I think it was Breaking Up Slowly because it’s the only song besides Yosemite (from 2016) and Not All Who Wander Are Lost that didn’t appear on the scratch tracklist from during the recording of the album. It seems like Not All Who Wander Are Lost is a love song about Sean, and Breaking Up Slowly is about her separation from him, so I have a hard time believing it came before anything else.

Blue Banisters

Cherry Blossom and Nectar of the Gods came first, but I’m not sure which one of those two is older. They were both recorded during the same session in May 2013. Living Legend and If You Lie Down with Me are from this time too, but If You Lie Down with Me was re-recorded in 2020/2021 unlike the other songs. Dealer + Thunder are from 2016. Beautiful was recorded February 2020 so that one is older, Black Bathing Suit was written in March 2020, and Arcadia was written in 2020 as well. Sweet Carolina was written and recorded in June 2021 after Text Book, the title track, and Wildflower Wildfire were already released so it’s newer than those three. We really don’t know anything about Violets for Roses but the lyric about the masks definitely seems like it’s from summer 2021 as well. So either Sweet Carolina or Violets for Roses was last.

this was so much longer than i intended it to be but i kind of had a blast piecing it all together lol

Thanks so much queen

You're an angel :cryney2:

This is so interesting and just perfect

Leak How to disappear (Piano Version)